Richmond Sports

eandslee

What a come-back...but not enough in OT. Young's free throws at 6 seconds did it for Pittsburgh. 84 to 79 and Pittsburgh goes on, whilke VCU comes home. :cry::cry:

Yeah, VCU put on a good fight, but it just wasn't enough. Had they played the entire game like they did in the last 5 minutes of regulation, then I could easily have seen VCU win the game. Too bad, they just fell short. Still, they have a good team to be proud of.

Yeah, VCU put on a good fight, but it just wasn't enough. Had they played the entire game like they did in the last 5 minutes of regulation, then I could easily have seen VCU win the game. Too bad, they just fell short. Still, they have a good team to be proud of.

AND an incredible coach, Eric. Anthony Grant has put VCU on the map with his management of players like Maynor. Pellot-Rosa and the entire team.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Let's not forget about the U.S. Open Cycling Championships that will be in Richmond on Saturday!

usopen_250.JPG

http://usopencycling.com/

The race begins in Williamsburg and ends with an uphill finish at 8th and Broad Streets. After riding all the way from Williamsburg, the riders will have to climb Libby Hill more than once as part of the Richmond road-circuit.

The race will be televised on NBC on Saturday from 2:30-5:00 PM, though the race is actually in the morning.

Richmond Braves Season Started Yesterday but there up in Buffalo and Both Games have been Postponed due to Weather unfortunately Snow in Buffalo. Richmond Looks to have a good team this year with Top Prospect Yunel Escobar at Shortstop and Atlanta Player Martin Prado is down in Richmond along with the rest of the Richmond Braves. Lets hope to an awesome year for the Richmond Braves.

Richmond Braves Season Started Yesterday but there up in Buffalo and Both Games have been Postponed due to Weather unfortunately Snow in Buffalo. Richmond Looks to have a good team this year with Top Prospect Yunel Escobar at Shortstop and Atlanta Player Martin Prado is down in Richmond along with the rest of the Richmond Braves. Lets hope to an awesome year for the Richmond Braves.

Yea, Joey. They could do with a winning year for a change. :cold:

What's happening with talks about replacing or rebuilding The Diamond?

I read today that R-Braves GM Baldwin is happy to have his opening home game later in the month.

What's happening with talks about replacing or rebuilding The Diamond?

I read today that R-Braves GM Baldwin is happy to have his opening home game later in the month.

Yeah, seems like the talk of a new stadium or renovated one has all diminished. Don't the Braves have a contract for staying at the Diamond through this year and that's all? If that's the case, then Richmond and the surrounding counties need to get things moving if they are to keep the Braves in town. Seems like we should have heard something by now.

I really enjoyed watching the US Open Cycling Championships on NBC this afternoon. A Canadian won and an American came in second. The snow was so heavy on parts of Route 5 that TV cameras were blurred, but the sun shone on Richmond. It was great recognizing landmarks, streets and buildings.

I assume it will return to Richmond next year -- or is it a "movable" event?

I really enjoyed watching the US Open Cycling Championships on NBC this afternoon. A Canadian won and an American came in second. The snow was so heavy on parts of Route 5 that TV cameras were blurred, but the sun shone on Richmond. It was great recognizing landmarks, streets and buildings.

I assume it will return to Richmond next year -- or is it a "movable" event?

This was the first year for the event so I think next year's event depends a lot on how many people watched it on tv. I'm sure calling or emailing nbc and letting them know how much you enjoyed it can't hurt either. I was up on Libby hill all morning and while the sun made it look warm in Richmind on tv, it was COLD all day long. I hope it becomes a Spring Classic for American cycling. The weather, the hills and the cobblestones sure made it a memorable event.

Here are my photos from the day:

http://blake.puhak.net/photos/2007-04-07-U...g_Championships

This was the first year for the event so I think next year's event depends a lot on how many people watched it on tv. I'm sure calling or emailing nbc and letting them know how much you enjoyed it can't hurt either. I was up on Libby hill all morning and while the sun made it look warm in Richmind on tv, it was COLD all day long. I hope it becomes a Spring Classic for American cycling. The weather, the hills and the cobblestones sure made it a memorable event.

Here are my photos from the day:

http://blake.puhak.net/photos/2007-04-07-U...g_Championships

These are some great photos! Thanks for sharing!

Neat pictures, Blake p. I thought it was surprising and disappointing that today's Times Dispatch had no fotos of the event in its on-line edition -- and only two stories both on the Sports page.

Thanks for sharing.

Velonews had a good writeup and lots of photos - including the snow in Williamsburg.

http://velonews.com/race/dom/articles/12007.0.html

The Times-Dispatch coverage was dissapointing, but the national TV coverage was a two and a half hour long ad for Richmond which was great - especially Tim Kaine's interviews.

With the way the weather works in Richmond, next year we'll be watching them climb up the cobblestones in 90 degree heat and 100% humidity.

So Blake, you're saying the race will continue in Richmond next year? I thought maybe it would move to a new city every year.

Many thanks for the VeloNews report with pictures. I watched all two and a half hours on NBC and hope that millions of others did, too.

Kaine said his son Woody is a bike racer.

There was a nice commercial promoting Richmond, and I though Mayor Wilder came off quite well in his welcome to racers and the invite to companies to consider Richmond home. :)

So Blake, you're saying the race will continue in Richmond next year? I thought maybe it would move to a new city every year.

Many thanks for the VeloNews report with pictures. I watched all two and a half hours on NBC and hope that millions of others did, too.

Kaine said his son Woody is a bike racer.

There was a nice commercial promoting Richmond, and I though Mayor Wilder came off quite well in his welcome to racers and the invite to companies to consider Richmond home. :)

It's my understanding that if it goes on next year it would stay in Richmond. Part of the reason for the date of the event was to have an American version of the Tour of Flanders which went on today in Belgum. And the Richmond course in part mimics some of the features found on the Tour of Flanders especially the cobblestone climb up Libby Hill.

Richmond has a number of world and national level events coming up. Of course we have the Xterra East Championships in June. This Fall we host the World Long Course Duathlon Championships. December 2008 Hanover hosts the USATF Junior Olympic Cross Country (running) Championships. And in the springs of 2008-2010, Richmond hosts the Duathlon National Chapionships.

Plus with all of our local running, biking or triathlon races, we have a lot of well run events at great venues.