New East Riverfront Development

rbdetsport

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was hoping the riverfront plans would change from just low rise buildings to include some high rises. Detroits skyline could use some new buildings and a project like this sends a big message that Detroit is coming around. Im excited and I think by the sound of it that GM and the city is realizing the potential of this project. They could really create an amazing district down by the river.

I was hoping the riverfront plans would change from just low rise buildings to include some high rises.  Detroits skyline could use some new buildings and a project like this sends a big message that Detroit is coming around.  Im excited and I think by the sound of it that GM and the city is realizing the potential of this project.  They could really create an amazing district down by the river.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed. While I'm sure that some developers may still need a bit of convincing, low-rises will be a massive misuse of land. The cement silos might even be more valuable.

While I'm getting tired of seeing lofts in just about every other development and would prefer a lot more traditional condos and apartments I recognize that this is a wonderful thing. We need to lure back those that aren't tied down (unmarried, retirees) before we can get to the families. But I do wish there were more family oriented stuff.

WS

Man there is so much potential. With these potential high rise and mid rise buildings as well as UDM's proposed development of twin 25 story towers, east of the Ren Cen will become more important in terms of the Detroit skyline. I really hope things develope quickly for this area, then again it is Detroit.

I just hope the buildings don't look like the Renaissance Center. It will make the whole area look so much more massive compared to downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What exactly do you mean? The developments wont be anywhere near the scale or size of the Ren Cen and will definitely have their own look. I doubt they are going to tell the architects to design something like Portman's design.

I don't like the design of the Riverfront Apartments either. They are really cut off from downtown and are rather bland in design. The fortress aspect of the complex is just because the towers were built at the city's lowest point. It was thought that the only way to get people living downtown was to give them a fortess in which to live.

Hopefully the new development will be more embrace its urban surroundings instead of trying to isolate itself from them.

I dont think GM is going to do anything like that with these new towers. From what Ive gathered they want to add retail to the area and have everything very accesible to the riverfront. I think they want a neighborhood feeling and not that of a private community.

The plans are for it to be accessible to everyone from what I read in a recent article.

Guess, it's time to bring up the model in the RenCen again, but it shows about a 20 and a 15 story tower going up in that area. The towers were actually quite sizable, say about the size of Lafayette towers width and lengthwise. But they looked really in scale with the rest of the area. At the base, and along the riverfront were low and midrise structures. Facing the riverwalk were small buildings of various sizes and heights which I think might be indicating a retail promenade or something. It looked promising but remember, the model serves only as an idea of what the entire city is going to look like from various proposals. Things might change. Again, I cannot find the pictures of it, sorry! Guess all of you will have to check it out for yourselves at the Rencen!

That was just a conceptual drawing and old at that. Still, there riverfront was never really planned for high-rises, and we'll probably be seeing two at the most, and they will be right near the RenCen. And, it's really better that way. Leave the high-rises for north of Jefferson.

Yeah, that kind of reminds me of what I saw on the model, minus that tall weird shaped one. Actually, I think a few of the buildings closer to the Rencen might be a bit taller.

EDIT: Is it true teh silos aren't going to be torn down now? That's what I heard from someone who lives nearby and has been following progress on the riverfront. I noticed one was taking down, but Medusa Co. didn't want to move. Ugh, I hope they don't paint more whales on the silos.

The city of Detroit purchased the Medusa cement silo in April. Medusa has to move by April 2006, or October 2007 if they choose to relocate to the site Detroit offered them downriver. The other two silos were purchased by the city last year, and they are being demolished this summer.

Yes. I live in Riverfront Towers and I absolutely hate being cut off from the rest of the city. The only way to go downtown without a car is walking down Fort Street or walking to the Joe Louis People Mover and taking that into the city. And it's kind of weird walking past the security gate. Part of that, of course, is the fact that Cobo cuts off that whole area but Riverfront itself is quite self-isolated.

Archived