New East Riverfront Development

rbdetsport

This is *very* exciting -- that's a lot of acreage. Although I've never been, I hear that Baltimore's riverfront development really turned things around in their downtown which was probably in a similar state as Detroit's a few years ago (anyone have any first-hand knowledge?). I like the image of a streetfront directly facing the river that's 3-4 stories, then allowing buildings to go up as you go towards Jefferson (which could handle some really high buildings). I'd rather see five eight-storey buildings that are build out to the sidewalk rather than one thirty-story megalith with parking lots around it.

I don't particularly like the model that Wolverine showed us the photo of with a couple new highrises but a bunch of lowrise development and surface lots.

Slightly off topic but.. I was looking at Google maps of the CBDs in various cities, which are all about the same size as Detroit's (the area bounded by the freeways and the river), they're all about a mile square. It's just that Detroit has so much surface parking or undeveloped lots, and I know it's because the buildings that were there got torn down. It made me realize that the CBD doesn't need to be bigger, it just needs to be filled in. It would be the same as Chicago's if it were filled in. Of course, Chicago has tons of lakefront development, which is what this East Riverfront development is about.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between Baltimore's waterfront and this one is that Baltimore's is RIGHT at downtown, directly connected. This is off to the east on the other side of the RenCen and freeway, and will never be as well connected.

But, all that means is that this will probably develop more as a neighborhood than an all-out entertainment destination like the Inner Harbor. One is no better or no worse, but there are some key differences, namely location and relation to the CBD.

Yeah, I've been to Baltimore a couple times, and a big plus is having the waterfront development right by the downtown where ours is off to the side.

One of my favorite places along the waterfont is that powerplant conversion. Although it was kind of weird the way they did the conversion.

Damn, I'd kill to have one of these in Detroit.

pp_g01.jpg

pp_g02.jpg

I love Baltimore's Inner Harbor! We made a little stop in Baltimore on our high school's senior trip, and they let us wander the downtown for a few hours before we got to D.C. A few friends went and paid for a half-hour paddle boat ride in the harbor, those goofy little dragon boats and rammed the historic submarine in the harbor (we could have seriously gotten in some trouble for that). lol We then went to the ESPN Zone inside the renovated factory, and finished up our time at the aquarium. There's just so much to do jammed in such a small area.

The difference between Baltimore's waterfront and this one is that Baltimore's is RIGHT at downtown, directly connected. This is off to the east on the other side of the RenCen and freeway, and will never be as well connected.

But, all that means is that this will probably develop more as a neighborhood than an all-out entertainment destination like the Inner Harbor. One is no better or no worse, but there are some key differences, namely location and relation to the CBD.

Remember that Rivertown was a destination in the 80's and 90's and it lacked the residental that these new projects will bring so I wouldn't rule out the east riverfront becoming an entertainment district

How does it's location keep it from becoming a tourist destination? A tourist destination is exactly that. A destination where you'll find tourists. If the River East area is built to lure tourists, than that's what it'll do. It's only on the other side of the Ren Cen. It's not like it's a mile away.

Anyone know the status of the Globe Trading Co? I heard the west half of the factory was going to be converted Now that would make a pretty cool multi-use structure.

It's just sad there isn't any huge factory structures along the waterfront like they have in Bmore. You can achieve some really cool spaces when renovating huge industrial structures like that. You get an atmosphere similar to what you'd see at trapper's alley in greektown.

And here we are in Lansing with a huge, vacant powerplant/factory right on the river and don't have the demand to do much with it. lol

Actually, Stroh River Place could have been something like that, but it was redeveloped at the wrong time in Detroit's history for it to be anything more than it is now, a closed-off, secure residential project.

Archived