FL Valrico 52,080

FL Wesley Chapel 27,199

FL West Palm Beach 352,618

FL Winter Springs 42,751

For More Info Go On: http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/states/FL.html

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those look like the totals used in the aol headlines yesterday. they were talking about the best cities to live in, and had a section where you could look up all the cities in your state and see their ranking and populations. I live in Raleigh and noticed that our population seemed a little bigger than i had heard.

CNN is using a form of MSA stat that takes the main city and surrounding cities but oddly enough they didn't add Jacksonvilles surrounding cities just the city itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually they did the surrounding area of Jacksonville

CNN is using a form of MSA stat that takes the main city and surrounding cities but oddly enough they didn't add Jacksonvilles surrounding cities just the city itself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe that's because the "city" figure doesn't step outside of county lines. The Miami number as best I can tell includes the city proper, surrounding municipalities, and the vast majority of what we refer to as UMSA, the Unincorporated Municipal Services Area (and whatever didn't get counted as "Hialeah", "Homestead", "Miami Beach", or "Opa Locka"). UMSA has 1.2 million people, which on its own is larger than any city in Florida.

Even if they used county figures, they still increased everyone but short changed Jacksonville.

Here is a list of actual city population figures.

Rank  Name            2003-07-01

1	Jacksonville          773,781

2	Miami                 376,815

3	Tampa                 317,647

4	St. Petersburg        247,610

5	Hialeah               226,401

6	Orlando               199,336

7	Fort Lauderdale       162,917

8	Tallahassee           153,938

9	Pembroke Pines        148,927

10	Hollywood            143,408

11	Coral Springs        127,005

12	Cape Coral           118,737

13	Gainesville          109,146

14	Clearwater           108,272

15	Port St. Lucie       105,507

^ There aren't any other Duval cities to add.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How about the 30k that live at the beaches? They are not apart of Jacksonville nor is Baldwin. 2005 Duval county is about 830,000. 2005 Jacksonville is already passed 800,000.

Read the CNN article or click on a city and see what it says at the top.

"Population, town and surrounding area"

They did that with all the cities similar to a MSA count but they didn't do it for Jacksonville

Most people aren't as hell bent on what's legally within a municipality as we might be. Heck, a lot of people here don't even know what municipality they live in (or if they live in one at all).

Here's an aerial I cropped of an area of Miami. Tell me where the city limits are.

miacity7zf.jpg

These numbers are "weird", but from a metropolitan standpoint, most of them make sense. Broward County's urban area has 4 times the population density of the City of Tampa... so you tell me...

They did that with all the cities similar to a MSA count but they didn't do it for Jacksonville

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right, but Baldwin is out on 301 and relatively far from the more urbanized areas... I'd be willing to bet that this has something to do with it. I can cross the street and be in a different city here... There are places where I can cross the street and be in a different county and not know the difference.

Heh..if you think that's bad, I was walking around in Monaco a few months ago and didn't even realize I had stumbled into France. We only found out we were in a different country when a grocery store clerk told us we couldn't buy Redbull there but we could if we were in Monaco (the drink is illegal to sell in France). Somewhere around this block is the border but there is no way to tell where it is:

img13032vq.jpg

I do agree their numbers are flawed. I mentioned it in the first thread that ended up inspiring this one...

Want to know something funny? How would you like to be Pembroke Pines? This study deflated their population to 30,000 and most of it went to neighboring "Hollywood"! :o Now that I'm thinking of it, this study was most likely done by zip code. It makes sense because Pembroke Pines and most of the western suburbs south of Sheridan Street are assigned a Hollywood address by the post office. At least Jacksonville got to keep its people. B)

Nice pic, by the way, bic... (rhyme intended).

How does Jacksonville get "short changed"? Pretty much the entire county is Jacksonville. You can't really complain, because Jax was cheating to begin with. No matter what the skewed figures say, Jax is still Florida's SMALLEST major city regardless.

I can say it was short changed simply because it was. I'm not saying this list changes the entire political boundaries or their true poulation figures, I'm merely pointing out that the population they used is smaller than Jacksonvilles actual population yet everyone else was give their full pop and several surrounding cities.

As for cheating? You do realize that most cities in Fl have done annexations at some point, don't you? Miami also attemtped to combine itself with all of Dade recently, would claim cheating then as well? Or smart politics?

From looking at Lakeland's 211,000 number (city is actually around 90,000), it looks like these numbers are the "Individual" urban area population statistics for each city, especially since Winter Haven's 150,000 urban area population wasn't included in Lakeland's. If this is the case, these numbers could be right on.

As far as Jax goes, it looks like the part of the Beaches were included in its population, while most of it went to the city of Jacksonville Beach, despite there being a continous line of development connecting Jax to the cities of Neptune Beach, Atlantic Beach and Jacksonville Beach. Suburban areas outside of Duval, like Ponte Vedra Beach and Orange Park weren't even included. The same could be said for South Florida's numbers and especially Tampa's at 690,000.

Hmm...it appears as if the person who started this forum just took the link that *I* provided in the "CNN/Money Magazine Rankings" forum. There is a similar discussion to the one going on right now in that forum and we all came to conclusion that CNN is using the actual city population and including the UNINCORPORATED areas directly around the city limits. Thus, Miami is not "actually" Florida's largest city, but it's largest Metropolitan Area. Sheesh...too much drama over technicalities! :blink:

It is interesting to note that if all of these cities actually rounded out their city limits, these figures provided by CNN could very well represent the true populations of the city. Personally, I wholeheartedly believe that Orlando's population would actually be 780,000+ if the city were to round out it's limits, instead of looking like one big, lopsided horseshoe!

How does Jacksonville get "short changed"? Pretty much the entire county is Jacksonville. You can't really complain, because Jax was cheating to begin with. No matter what the skewed figures say, Jax is still Florida's SMALLEST major city regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is JAX Florida's Smallest major city... thats Tallahassee's title! JAX is our largest city in every since of the word... don't hate on them. If your city wanted to consolidate it should go ahead and do it... theres no cheating here... their boundaries are their boundaries.

Archived