Miami Florida's Largest City!

gjoseph

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Census tracts, blocks or even zip codes are/can used to determine the boundaries of the urban areas. Qualifications probably are limited to a specific population density and the urbanification of its roads (full sewage, sidwalks, lighting, etc..).

Actually, they do cite their source. Here's an excerpt:

"Also, a note on the definition of "place:" In assembling this list, we examined data from the zip codes that correspond to a place name designated by the postal service.

We do this because we can get more and better -- that is, more accurate -- data about an area using zip codes than by using Census designations or by looking only at an incorporated area, which often is a small part of what most people would consider a "place."

That's why our list gives an area population and not just the population of a municipality. In a few cases, in fact, there is no incorporated municipality corresponding to the place name."

Rest of Article

But I just posted the CNN numbers to show that all of these population figures are more or less trivial, as one can manipulate the boundaries and numbers to prove anything they want. I'm sure most people would agree that Miami is the undisputed largest city in the state, but after that it's almost a crapshoot to determine the runner-up between Tampa, Jacksonville, Orlando, and Ft. Lauderdale.

To true, Riverside! People will get themselves all wrapped up in inane hyperbole. Some rely on just the census, others go by the zip codes, others simply go by satellite pictures and relate the size of urban development to the size of the city. We can all blame Florida lawmakers years ago repressing city's rights to Annex, leaving the mess we have now w/incorporate vs unincorporated and county vs. city legal battles.

It seems to me the most accurate population to rely on would be the MSA population. Let's face it, when people are driving into a new city they've never been to, does one HONESTLY think those people are concerned which city's limits they're in? Example, say I've never been to Miami before and I'm driving there. When I arrive closer to Miami and see development all around me, I'm thinking I'm in the Miami area. I'm not concerning myself with the fact that I could actually be in Boca Raton, Davie, Coral Gables, Pinecrest, kendall, etc. I STILL think I'm IN Miami.

Miami doesn't have to worry about fire and police protection 20 miles from downtown Miami where as Jacksonville does.

The city may not but the county does.

There are 35 municipalities in Miami-Dade County but there are only 6 fire departments. The cities of Miami, Miami Beach, Coral Gables, and Hialeah, and the village of Key Biscayne have their own fire departments. The entire unincorporated area and the other 30 municipalities are served by Miami-Dade Fire Rescue.

Miami-Dade Police has to provide police protection to about 1.2 million residents.

Someone said earlier that the numbers were done by zip code, so whatever city name corresponded to that respective zip code, that was where the population was counted. Florida zip codes rarely extend into more than one county, and there are none that do so among the most populated counties.

Archived