Miami Florida's Largest City!

gjoseph

How does Jacksonville get "short changed"? Pretty much the entire county is Jacksonville. You can't really complain, because Jax was cheating to begin with. No matter what the skewed figures say, Jax is still Florida's SMALLEST major city regardless.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

WRONG! Even if consolidation was not a factor Jax would not be Florida's smallest major city. You would probably be looking at a population, counting unannexed cities that may have been annexed had Jax not consolidated, of about 270,000 or more!

:) FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No the only people who get worked up over consolidated city population comparisons are the members on these urban forums.  The general public could care less.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, those people who are upset that their city's population, stature and other rankings don't measure up and they are not number one!

I agree that Jax cheated but they cheated in a fair way in order to better the City of Jacksonville. It's clear, just by comparing urban Jax to Tampa, Miami, etc., that Jax is a standard or two below these two Florida urban powerhouses; though Jax is an urban power in its own right.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I agree that Jax cheated but they cheated in a fair way in order to better the City of Jacksonville.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I still fail to see how a city cheats by consolidating its government with the core county's. Consolidation is all about streamlining government and saving the public money and time, as well as cutting down on government corruption. If that's considered cheating, then everybody else needs to join in.

I still fail to see how a city cheats by consolidating its government with the core county's.  Consolidation is all about streamlining government and saving the public money and time, as well as cutting down on government corruption.  If that's considered cheating, then everybody else needs to join in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the adage or idea of cheating stems from the fact that most of us equate a huge population with success, popularity, and the number 1 factor. Cheating is not a good word to use, however, if you would look at my previous post, I did say that if Jacksonville so called "cheated," it cheated to better the City for the people.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Hey Folks, its all where you draw the lines. A resourceful proponent can find numbers to back up any position. Looky, looky here is a list that makes little Tampa #1 in Florida (warning these figures are households, not population).

Nielsen Media Research Local Universe Estimates* (US)

*Estimates used throughout the 2004-2005 television season which starts on September 20, 2004

RANK Designated Market Area (DMA) TV Homes % of US

13 Tampa-St. Pete (Sarasota) 1,671,040 1.525

17 Miami-Ft. Lauderdale 1,496,810 1.366

20 Orlando-Daytona Bch-Melbrn 1,303,150 1.189

39 West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce 729,010 0.665

52 Jacksonville, Brunswick 613,000 0.559

68 Ft. Myers-Naples 444,130 0.405

109 Tallahassee-Thomasville 259,720 0.237

Source: http://www.nielsenmedia.com/DMAs.html

Of course, one has to define community as anyone watching the same talking heads on the local TV news. But there is a tenuous community, people in Tampa hear about juicy crimes in Sarasota or Lakeland and vice versa.

• 4 weeks later...

It was established, debated, realized, and argued about many posts back that CNN/Money Magazine used the city population + the number of people who live in the immediate unincorporated areas of the respective city to deterimine the population. These numbers are not official and are not recognized by the US Census. Thus, rest easy denizens of Jacksonville. Your city is still the largest in Florida.

Archived