Myrtle Beach Transit

GSP Tiger

Is it too early to begin thinking of transit ideas for Myrtle Beach? I'm sure that its booming tourism and economy continues to make that area grow. There has been a great emphasis over the Conway Bypass and Carolina Bays Parkway in recent years, but having some alternative can be a good idea. Do you think a monorail or light rail system could work?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In our "First City in SC to build Mass Transit?" thread, we discussed some possibilities for MB. I think that an LRT along Kings Ocean Blvd or Kings Hwy would work very well for MB. It would also be good if it could tie in with a line to Conway.

There is an ongoing discussion about establising an short passenger rail line on the abandoned rail tracks that connect DT Myrtle Beach to Conway. They have run several excurision trains in the last few years over this route that were filled with people who paid $12 for the ride.

The old rail station in Myrtle Beach was recently refurbished and rennovated (thankfully they didn't tear it down) and the train drawbridge across the intercoastal has been repaired.

The idea however is to provide tourist access to Conway's historic downtown. I think with the proper planning they could also set up commuter rail system which would take some of the traffic off of the highway, but the city would need to coordinate it with local bus service so that something such as that would be possible. Unfortunately over the last year the Myrtle Beach transit authority was racked by corruption charges at the hands of its fromer chief and is in disarray.

I think the biggest problem facing transit in Myrtle Beach is lack of an real organized effort to pull it off and the local political process.

Indeed. Myrtle Beach has a huge problem getting enough workers into the city because most people who work in the tourist industry can no longer afford to live there. A commuter train from Conway would help with this immensely and I wonder why it isn't being pursued. The tracks and infrastructure are already there just sitting unused.

Archived