A Grand Boulevard for Columbia: Assembly Street Improvements

waccamatt

Isn't anything on that side of Assembly considered the Vista...which has height restrictions? I'm fairly certain that the mayor is aware of the height restrictions, and would not have said an 18 and 20 story building would go on those lots. Growing up, I just don't believe all of your hypothetical meetings with the mayor actually take place. Sorry...

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see mixed-use buildings on both lots....6 stories max. Something that will kinda taper the height of the downtown towers (especially the tallest in SC) down to Vista level but still not over shadowing the Capitol. But these buildings need to be very active at street level....restaurants with outdoor dinning, open spaces, and features like fountains or sculptures that will attract people. Bringing alot of activity to these lots will do more to connect the Vista and Main than a streetscaping of Assembly.

With the discussion of those two lots, I wanted to see what everyone thought could go there (within reason and code)?

I just went off of my last drawing and placed the fountain from 5-points to see what something of that nature looked like.

What would work best in those places?

AandG_park.jpg

Personally, I would love to see greenspace/fountain fill one of those spots and a nice mixed-use building on the other.

But these buildings need to be very active at street level....restaurants with outdoor dinning, open spaces, and features like fountains or sculptures that will attract people. Bringing alot of activity to these lots will do more to connect the Vista and Main than a streetscaping of Assembly.

I agree with you that whatever is built on those lots absolutely has to succeed on the street level. But I would say that streetscaping Assembly is just as important as connecting the Vista with Main Street, since there are other intersections that could also help connect the two areas and a streetscaping would help with that.

With the discussion of those two lots, I wanted to see what everyone thought could go there (within reason and code)?

I just went off of my last drawing and placed the fountain from 5-points to see what something of that nature looked like.

What would work best in those places?

AandG_park.jpg

perfect!

Personally, I would love to see greenspace/fountain fill one of those spots and a nice mixed-use building on the other.

That's a great idea right but i see that spot can be use for better uses like a 18 story condo/apartment. but that's just my opinion

GU15, you seriously damage your credibility when you make ridiculous statements like that. Mayor Bob would have never made a statement like that.

no waccamatt i really did talk to the mayor i had a meeting with him back in august last year. if you dont believe me i have pictures of me and him talking together in his 9th floor office in the first citizen HQ. :)

I'd like to see an ice rink and park on one of the corners and a mixed use development - hotel, restaurants and shops on the other corner.

That's a great idea right but i see that spot can be use for better uses like a 18 story condo/apartment. but that's just my opinion

An 18-story building cannot be built there because there are limits on high a building can be in that area. Eighteen stories is higher than what's allowed on that lot.

GU15, we keep mentioning the height limits in the Vista, but you seem to ignore them. The Vista height limit is 80 feet. The Hilton had to have a variance because it is slightly taller, but there is no way they would allow an 18 story building in the Vista.

GU15, we keep mentioning the height limits in the Vista, but you seem to ignore them. The Vista height limit is 80 feet. The Hilton had to have a variance because it is slightly taller, but there is no way they would allow an 18 story building in the Vista.

I'm sorry i understand but im just going by what the mayor told me personally:) but i will have a talk with him about that. thanks everyone.

I have been reading about the Innovista master plan and came upon this illustration. It is a proposal of a boulevard of the same caliber as Assembly Street. If I understand the plans right, this would be at/near the intersection of Greene Street. I found it interesting that they went to a 4 lane road. I love the ideas listed however, I am concerned that going from 3 lanes down to two in this area will cause traffic issues. I would actually like the road to remain 6 lanes and be expanded just south of the USC fitness center for that half mile stretch (Blossom to Whaley). Then the entire 2.5 miles of Assembly would be 6 lanes. That would just the flow going nicely and surely help out with the football games (even though they are only 8 days a year)!

assembly_innovista.jpg

The 6 lanes that are out there are too many. Most people tend to think that you have to plan for rush hour traffic. Problem with that, is that 92% of the time, you don't need all those lanes. Columbia has a great grid system, so all they have to do is set it up so that the parallel streets carry more traffic. That median set up allows you to install more turning lanes to handle traffic moving off of the street more efficiently. In addition you have sidewalks with a planting strip, street trees along the side and in the median. If they build this it would be phenomenal. It could eventually look like Queens Road West in Charlotte over time (assuming they plant oaks).

^ I agree. It's just that rush hour traffic is what I find myself driving in most of the time downtown. So it really gets to me. I would love to see that plan come to action in that area and have the city carry on the theme for the entire stretch. It's a very nice look.

Not when oak or other shade trees are planted in them and the strip is kept up. That's the case in lots of areas and corridors downtown now.

But those corridors don't have the potential or use of Assembly. It's disruptive when you have a strip of lawn separating buildings pulled up to the sidewalk.

I want greenery between the street and sidewalk, but not between the sidewalk and buildings. The strip, as shown in that diagram, would buffer pedestrians from buildings. The only exception would apply to surface parking lots that front the street. A planted buffer is a necessity in that case (e.g., the surface lot between 1401 Main and 1441 Main).

• 1 month later...

Crossed over Assembly on Gervais St. last night and noticed Assembly is in the process of being repaved. I doubt that time and money would be invested into repaving now if the plan to redesign the street was anywhere close to being a reality. I was thinking that after N. Main wrapped up this would be close to next in line. I assume since SC DOT has been awarded so much money for resurfacing they are jumping at it for any project they can start. Surely the state of the economy has its toll on the redesign as well.

I knew that Assembly's makeover was several if not many years out, but I'm hoping the powers that be for the city won't let the state DOT mark the new pavement without it being done in a way that psychologically makes Assembly feel less stressful to cross for those who still feel stressed despite the 25 seconds the walk sign gives you.

They are only half finished with the first of 3 sections of Main Street from Elmwood to near I-20. It will take 2 or 3 years just to finish that project. If someone is smart they will buy up property on Main between Elmwood and Sunset because that is a prime area to become a slightly less upscale version of Devine Street. The surrounding neighborhoods of Elmwood Park, Cottontown and Earlewood Park have fairly high incomes that could support a nice retail corridor.

Archived