A Grand Boulevard for Columbia: Assembly Street Improvements

waccamatt

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I noticed this morning the Wendy's on Assembly is being demolished, anyone else know of this? I'm not disappointed about this: not the best Wendy's and not the best use for that lot in my opinion.

They're not demolishing it completely.  They're remodeling it and adding to it.  I wish they would knock it down and rebuild on the corner and put the parking where the building is now.  But from what I understand (I forget where I read it.) that won't be the case.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've tried to find design plans for the Wendys on ColumbiaSC.net site, but haven't been able to. Has anyone else looked/found these?

I haven't looked.  I always look at DDRC's agenda.  I didn't see it there.  The tallest steel-framed part at the front looks like it might become a glassed enclosure of some sort.  

I haven't looked.  I always look at DDRC's agenda.  I didn't see it there.  The tallest steel-framed part at the front looks like it might become a glassed enclosure of some sort.  

I would imagine it would look something like this which looks like what they are doing with the Easley renovation:

wendys-flagship-art-gefo4f8s-1dale-drive

That looks reasonably like what they appear to be doing.  It's hard to tell by the scale in that rendering, but the steel framing at the front on the Assembly Street one seems taller to me.  Maybe it's the same, though.

Edit: I watched a video on WIS News that didn't include a rendering of the new store, but on second thought the height of the steel framing compared to the height of the old store as seen in the video appears the same height as in the rendering above, so I guess that's it.  Thanks. 

That looks reasonably like what they appear to be doing.  It's hard to tell by the scale in that rendering, but the steel framing at the front on the Assembly Street one seems taller to me.  Maybe it's the same, though.

Edit: I watched a video on WIS News that didn't include a rendering of the new store, but on second thought the height of the steel framing compared to the height of the old store as seen in the video appears the same height as in the rendering above, so I guess that's it.  Thanks. 

Scratch all that.  They're doing something more special.  It's higher than I thought.  If I had to guess based on what they've done so far I'd say it's going to at least look like a two-story Wendy's, maybe even with a third tier.  It's taller than I remembered.  I walked by today with the dog.  I didn't have my camera with me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Any update on the road improvements? It seems a lot of the heavy work has been completed. Are they into fencing and landscaping yet?

They appear to be getting to the finishing touches phase - the shrubs, accent trees and ground cover.  But I think they still plan to remove some more poles and wires.  It's kind of a little bit here, a little bit there-ish. 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived