A Grand Boulevard for Columbia: Assembly Street Improvements

waccamatt

I'm going by the map that they posted and the built environment in that area. The most logical connection is on or parallel to Whaley St.

I confused Whaley's Mill with Olympia Mill. Yes that will run directly behind that complex, and with a crossing being added behind them. Thats going to be loud! Perhaps they can find a way to connect the tracts farther south closer to the train yard.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since a large portion of that will come from federal funds, it might actually work out. It will be interesting to see how it goes. What's frustrating, though, is the comments afterward. People don't seem to have read the fact that the city will not be paying for the entire project.

Since a large portion of that will come from federal funds, it might actually work out. It will be interesting to see how it goes. What's frustrating, though, is the comments afterward. People don't seem to have read the fact that the city will not be paying for the entire project.

Since Mayor Bob regularly gets re-elected with over 60% of the vote, I bet those making the comments don't even live in the city limits.

Typical banter from short-sighted folks who don't recognize the value of projects like these. While the city certainly has other needs, this one is high on the priority list. This has the potential to be Columbia's drastically scaled-down, Southern version of Champs-Elysees or La Rambla (and I doubly stress "drastically scaled-down"). Special attention needs to be given to the Gervais/Assembly intersection. It can already be considered the main focal point of downtown; just imagine what an overhaul to Assembly would do for it, especially with fitting developments on those vacant northwest and southwest lots.

• 7 months later...

Imagine this being Assembly's future transformation, specifically the Gervais/Assembly intersection:

http://awesome.goodmagazine.com/transparen...le-streets.html

There's also a Redesign Your Street contest going on for those who are proficient with Photoshop (which I'm not when it comes to things like this). It would be pretty cool to see a before/after scene like that for the Gervais/Assembly intersection, especially with the base of the Capitol Center redesigned.

krazee that would look great at that intersection. Looks like that rendering was done with a 3D modeling program. I may be able to make some type of visualization with photoshop but it won't quite look that professional.

Let's just hope that after Harden and N. Main come to a finish that Assembly will be next up.

They used Photoshop, and not very well I might add. You can tell because the people are out of scale with those in the original image, the buses are all at the exact same angle (which is slightly wrong for where it should be on the road), and the biker looks like he's about to ride into the median. They just cropped the stuff that they wanted to use out of other images and inserted them into the new photo. A simple texture would work for the road, trees were added along with, bushes, bollards, sidewalks, people, etc.

^I should have said they didn't completely use Photoshop. I bet they made a good bit of that in a 3D program and composited it in Photoshop. Well I don't use any or have any 3D programs, but I do have Photoshop so I gave it a shot at redoing the intersection of Assembly and Gervais. Please don't be to harsh on my skills, I am learning. The ideas came from myself, those posted earlier and the contest krazee spoke of.

There are two images below, one is untouched and the other is of course the redesign.

* Assembly and Gervais streetscape *

AssemblyandGervais_untouch.jpg

AssemblyandGervais.jpg

Assembly remains three lanes each way, the changes made are below:

1) Added Curb Extensions (bulb-outs) on all four corners of Assembly. Decreases the amount by three lanes a pedestrian has to walk to cross Assembly. Added to one corner of Gervais (bottom middle of revised image). Bollards added to bulb-outs and middle of crosswalk for safety.

2) Nearly doubled size of median for more green space. Eliminated parking on East side of median on Assembly, North of Gervais. Eliminated parking on West side of median on Assembly, South of Gervais. Six parking spaces were added to West side of the Capital on Assembly. Added planter boxes to trees, added light poles to resemble those on the traffic light arms, and added flowers.

3) Added larger grassy patches to sidewalk. Any type of planters could also be added in addition to or in place of.

4) Doubled width of sidewalk for increased ped traffic and to accommodate new side entrance to the Capital Center. (Their redesign to be determined)

5) Changed the crosswalks to a different material or color to make them more visible.

6) Extended median to keep traffic (U-Turn) out of crosswalk.

That is how I see that intersection looking after the Assembly street redesign. Since we heard last year that Assembly was on the list to be redone maybe after N. Main is completed things will begin to happen. Please let me know your thoughts/concerns/ideas.

Nice work native! Assembly lined with grand trees will look amazing.

Like krazee said, I would like to see the median parking completely gone, which would make the landscaped median even wider except where left turn lanes exist. Also, wider crosswalks and large pedestrian refuge in the medians for peds who don't make it all the way across.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I have made a few adjustments to the image.

I did not add the bike lane. I have to agree with Spartan's comment a while back saying "Also, I can tell you that as a bike commuter, bike lanes on Assembly will be wasted effort. Anyone who has any sense will take Main Street because its flat and traffic is more calm".

Change #7 - Added high-visibility crosswalks and made them about 1.5 times wider. There is also space in the median if crossing Assembly to wait if not able to cross all the way.

Change #8 - Increased sidewalk size halfway into the parking lane after last parking space to prevent cars from mistaking it as right turn lane. This half increase allows the bulb-outs to remain at corners. This is of course at the #8 and to the left of #1.

For the sake of argument lets assume (way too much editing) that the lane widths have been decreased and that extra space will go into the median and sidewalks.

Minor changes include new lights in median and more flower beds. I would like to also see some lights for the sidewalks.

New image below.

AssemblyandGervais2_sm.jpg

On to the other main intersections. I would like to create another drawing for Assembly and Blossom as well as the end of Assembly near fairgrounds.

I like the improvements scnative, and I'll concede on the bike lanes. :thumbsup:

In reality, I'd like the medians to take on the form of urban gardens of sorts, not too different than the medians along Bull Street when in all their glory.

Very nice, indeed!

Now if only we could get those two empty corner lots to the west of Assembly developed--does anyone know who owns them? I picture a rich old miser who refuses to sell, holding out as long as possible for the most bucks while his/her heirs plot their demise . . mwuh-huh-huh! :scared:

I heard they are owned by former city councilman Jim Papada (sp?).

I like the improvements scnative, and I'll concede on the bike lanes. :thumbsup:

In reality, I'd like the medians to take on the form of urban gardens of sorts, not too different than the medians along Bull Street when in all their glory.

I heard they are owned by former city councilman Jim Papadea (sp?).

I've heard that, also.

I talked to the mayor personally and he told me that those lots are open space and that also he know the people that owns them and they will be willing to sell it to build a 20 story. across the street form the southtrust and a 18 story across the street from the state house. the mayor told me that becuase there shorter then the tallest tower in downtown. that would be the ideal height to make the skyline pop out.

i have a few renderings i drew myself if you want to see them.

ps the grand blvd i heard. assembly st is going to be turned into a 10 lane highway threw downtwon like a LA Freeway. well thats at less what the mayor told me.

Widening Assembly would be an absolute cardinal sin. Whoever proposes such an idea should be tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered, fed to the lions, and then boiled alive. Their eternal fate would make Dante's "Inferno" sound like a mere Mother Goosery by comparison.

I highly doubt Coble wants to do widen Assembly. He's called for a task force for planning purposes to streetscape and beautify the street, and for a street already as wide as Assembly, that wouldn't include widening it even more.

^LOL Krazee! I'll help get the boiling pot ready.

Assembly St will never get wider and I'm sorry but I don't believe the mayor would say something like that. At 6 lanes it's plenty wide and it already poses problems for pedestrian connectivity and safety. The mayor himself has talked about making Assembly St more pedestrian friendly and easier to cross in order to better connect the Vista and Main St, so I don't see him proposing a ridiculous 10 lane freeway.

Also, while those empty lots are prime locations, anything taller than the State House will just not fly.

With the discussion of those two lots, I wanted to see what everyone thought could go there (within reason and code)?

I just went off of my last drawing and placed the fountain from 5-points to see what something of that nature looked like.

What would work best in those places?

AandG_park.jpg

I talked to the mayor personally and he told me that those lots are open space and that also he know the people that owns them and they will be willing to sell it to build a 20 story. across the street form the southtrust and a 18 story across the street from the state house. the mayor told me that becuase there shorter then the tallest tower in downtown. that would be the ideal height to make the skyline pop out.

i have a few renderings i drew myself if you want to see them.

ps the grand blvd i heard. assembly st is going to be turned into a 10 lane highway threw downtwon like a LA Freeway. well thats at less what the mayor told me.

GU15, you seriously damage your credibility when you make ridiculous statements like that. Mayor Bob would have never made a statement like that.

With the discussion of those two lots, I wanted to see what everyone thought could go there (within reason and code)?

I just went off of my last drawing and placed the fountain from 5-points to see what something of that nature looked like.

What would work best in those places?

AandG_park.jpg

I'd like to see an ice rink and park on one of the corners and a mixed use development - hotel, restaurants and shops on the other corner.

Archived