Canal Front/City Dock

emerging.me

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that is "city dock" next to Edventure near the Gervais Street Bridge. It is another link in the Riverwalk.

Thanks, how is River Walk coming along (is there a thread on UP)? I only make it down to Columbia once a month or so at best but, there is a lot of developments like this that I never get to see. Good to see SC's capital city moving along. Also good to see Columbia starting to leverage the river more for recreation and as a development tool. The one major thing that I miss in Charlotte is a major river close to downtown (although I guess Little Sugar Creek could be a river with a name change and some heavy rain).

Thanks, how is River Walk coming along (is there a thread on UP)? I only make it down to Columbia once a month or so at best but, there is a lot of developments like this that I never get to see. Good to see SC's capital city moving along. Also good to see Columbia starting to leverage the river more for recreation and as a development tool. The one major thing that I miss in Charlotte is a major river close to downtown (although I guess Little Sugar Creek could be a river with a name change and some heavy rain).

It is very unusual for a major city to not be on a river. What was situated in the location of downtown Charlotte that it grew up there and not say on the Catawba River?

It is very unusual for a major city to not be on a river. What was situated in the location of downtown Charlotte that it grew up there and not say on the Catawba River?

Charlotte sprung up at the intersection of two Indian trading paths.

• 7 months later...

The first phase of CanalFront, a 12,000-square foot patio and 9,000 square feet of office, storage and meeting space at the rear of EdVenture, is complete. It went over schedule, but under budget. By breaking the project into separate indoor and outdoor contracts and going out for bids during a slow construction period, the city will spend less than $6 million instead of the $10 million originally budgeted. The $3 million contract for the park phase of construction recently was signed, with a projected nine-month completion. The park portion will be incorporated into the greenway. It will provide a second open park area (the other is near the Riverfront Park entrance) on the Columbia side of the river and extend the greenway under the Gervais Street bridge. Eventually, it’ll connect with USC’s planned Innovista park.

Here's how the finished patio looks:

B82548516Z.1_20101205233347_000+G4K1VL1U1.4-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

• 2 months later...

Columbia officials are negotiating with Lockhart Power, a small public utility company in the Upstate, to operate the city’s hydroelectric power plant, hoping the century-old building can find new life as a tourist attraction and generate new revenue for the city. The plant is at the mouth of the Columbia Canal, between the Gervais Street bridge and the EdVenture Children’s museum, where the city is spending $6 million to build a park that will connect to the city’s popular Riverfront Park. City officials hope to incorporate the power plant into the park, cleaning it up and making it available for tours.

B82607399Z.1_20110206201333_000+G96281A8M.3-0.embedded.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived