COMPLETE: Women & Infants Hospital

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

W&I is a great hospital, delivers great care, and patients love their experiences there. It's also one of the nation's top Ob-Gyn training sites, and a great national RI resource.

That said, from a building standpoint, however, as the current building is completely devoid of architecture, this expansion will drain financial resources and not build them, and the expansion will be somewhat out of the way of the public eye, I would expect this structure to be even more dull than the insomnia-curing Bridge Building expansion of RI Hospital.

- Garris

• 1 month later...

The Projo weighs in on the Women and Infants hospital expansion:

"W&I's expansion

01:00 AM EDT on Monday, August 22, 2005

It's good news for the region's health-care sector, and its economy, that Women & Infants Hospital proposes to build (for $64 million) a five-story addition..."

Full link here... http://www.projo.com/opinion/editorials/co...sp.8897680.html

For the 2 people out there besides me who care, it seems RI hospital is also adding on to the, perhaps, 4th-7th floors of its building on the North Side. It looks somewhat strange, but I think those new floor expansions will house new surgical ICU's (the recently redone ones are pretty sweet)...

So lots of medical building going on in Providence:

- Recently opened RIH Bridge Building (boring outside, fantastic inside)

- RIH mid-floors expansion

- W&I new building pending

- Newly opened RIH Comprehensive Cancer Center (a new age, wood growth attached to the West side of the APC building)

- Miriam is getting a large new building

- Brown BioMed building on Thayer

Pretty healthy stuff (no pun intended)...

What many of us would like to see now is RI Hospital replace its Jane Brown Building (the long brick building to the right of the main tower, visible from 95) that houses many inpatient psych and inpatient internal medicine beds (it's not ever air conditioned). I don't think that's happening soon, however :(.

- Garris

Sounds good, what does this mean for the Providence job market?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would image quite a bit. Even now before all of these projects are built Lifespan is going nuts trying to fill highly skilled positions at off hours (like evening or overnight radiology techs, nurses, etc). They've had several recruitment drives and I think there are even incentives for employees able to refer others who get hired.

- Garris

The Projo weighs in on the Women and Infants hospital expansion:

"W&I's expansion

01:00 AM EDT on Monday, August 22, 2005

What many of us would like to see now is RI Hospital replace its Jane Brown Building (the long brick building to the right of the main tower, visible from 95) that houses many inpatient psych and inpatient internal medicine beds (it's not ever air conditioned).  I don't think that's happening soon, however :(.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree...but when the time comes it will be a tall structure so as to open up parking space

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Well, in looking up the completion dates for Mental, guess what I found?

01_women-infants-hosp-new-c.jpg

The existing building here is on the right, the new building the left. A new glass concourse appears to wrap around the base of both buildings, connecting and unifying them. The street in front of us is Dudley moving East to West from the right to left side of the image, coming off of Eddy from the right. Rhode Island Hospital's campus is off the photo to the right between this image and I-95.

02_women-infants-hosp-new-c.jpg

Model of the new building...

03_women-infants-hosp-new-c.jpg

This can be a confusing image if you don't know the current layout. This is a cutout of the wrap around glass concourse. On the base level, the "entrance" you see with the reception desk on the right is the entrance into the existing building. The new building is in the background.

All in all, it looks very medical :). But it's a definite architectural step up over the existing handsome, but bland, building and will probably be the nicest medical hospital space architecturally in town (although lets see what the Miriam addition looks like when it's done).

It's nice they are doing a glass concourse to wrap around the new building and encompass and form a new entryway for the existing building. I just thought the new building would jut out from the existing building, but this is much, much nicer and more integrated.

I just can't believe I beat Frankie to a architect's website and renders!

- Garris

BTW: As an addendum, the site of the new building is currently surface parking.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

PROJO: "Providence hospital plans topping off ceremony"

"Women & Infants Hospital, in Providence, this morning will celebrate the completion of the steel structure phase of its five story addition now under construction with a topping off ceremony.

Those attending the event are invited to sign the last steel beam and watch as it is hoisted into place. Eight children who were treated as infants in Women & Infants

• 1 year later...

COMPLETE:

Public invited to tour new Women & Infants building

The public is invited to get a close look at the new South Pavilion at Women & Infants Hospital. The $76.8-million building, which was in planning and construction for five years, will be dedicated at a ribbon-cutting ceremony Monday, Sept. 14, at 10:30 a.m.

http://newsblog.projo.com/2009/09/public-invited-1.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived