Barrington #6 Best Place to Live in U.S.

Recchia

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...13.244a3bb.html

#6 best place to live going by housing costs, education, pollution, crime. Talks about its low crime, lots of golf courses, good schools, etc.

If you like suburbs and spending $400,000 on a house, heres the place to be I guess. Apparently 400k for a house is affordable nowadays, since housing costs was a factor in this.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.projo.com/news/content/projo_20...13.244a3bb.html

#6 best place to live going by housing costs, education, pollution, crime.  Talks about its low crime, lots of golf courses, good schools, etc.

If you like suburbs and spending $400,000 on a house, heres the place to be I guess.  Apparently 400k for a house is affordable nowadays, since housing costs was a factor in this.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For some strange reason I want to run down to the store to get a loaf of white bread. :whistling:

These Money magazine lists are somewhat dubious and mostly statistically generated. I lived in its #1 ranked small city for years (Rochester, MN). While, yeah, I guess we had affordable housing, a good hospital to resident ratio, and low crime rate, it was also the most dull city on Earth. No restaurants, no night life after about 4:30 PM, no urban core, uncontrolled (bad) sprawl, no music or culture, and no warm temps except for what felt like 2 weeks a year. I'm much happier living in city that doesn't make the list, thank you...

I will say this, though. Those lists are great advertising for areas. After the Money magazine list, many more people moved to Rochester and housing values shot up.

- Garris

Not any more. Some business went to court to be able to serve alcohol and won. But as far as I know the Barrington yatch club is the only place serving liqour.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Liquor is not outlawed, but Liquor STORES and fast food franchises still are (as far as I know) :blink:

These Money magazine lists are somewhat dubious and mostly statistically generated.  I lived in its #1 ranked small city for years (Rochester, MN).  While, yeah, I guess we had affordable housing, a good hospital to resident ratio, and low crime rate, it was also the most dull city on Earth.  No restaurants, no night life after about 4:30 PM, no urban core, uncontrolled (bad) sprawl, no music or culture, and no warm temps except for what felt like 2 weeks a year.  I'm much happier living in city that doesn't make the list, thank you...

I will say this, though.  Those lists are great advertising for areas.  After the Money magazine list, many more people moved to Rochester and housing values shot up.

- Garris

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Her is something to ponder...but really no surprises-great center cities and metro areas.

In 2004 the top retirement places to live according to CNN Moneyline:

New York

Providence

Austin

Sarasota

An Arbor

Barrington is like Pleasantville, that movie.. No thanks..

White bread all over the place.. Its the City's Official Food.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:rofl::rofl: I used that term white bread in an earlier post and nobody knew what I meant. But apparently you do :thumbsup: Recchia is lost on that one

You guys should be thankful that a place in Rhode Island was voted in the top 10. It's not everyday that something like this happens.

Even though I'm from here... theres about 50 places in the US that I would rather live in than Rhode Island. So I'm very surprised that we got this honor

You guys should be thankful that a place in Rhode Island was voted in the top 10.  It's not everyday that something like this happens. 

Even though I'm from here... theres about 50 places in the US that I would rather live in than Rhode Island.  So I'm very surprised that we got this honor

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having lived for varying amounts of time in the NE, SW, and Midwest, I'm curious what 50 other metros in the US (since you specificially pointed out RI, and not just Barrington) you'd rather live in. I'm hard pressed to think of many. Even cities I love (Phily, NYC, Minneapolis, Chicago, etc.) come with some serious downsides and lack some of RI's huge upsides.

What are some of those 50 other places you'd rather be?

- Garris

Archived