Rolling Mill Hill developers picked

it's just dave

If there's any place that interests me more than perhaps any other in trying to decide where to move in the next few years, I think this will be it. By far, I think this will be the most intriguing downtown development to ever come along. The fact that the city has chosen Streuver Bros. of Baltimore makes it even that much better. They have a knack for placing urban projects in urban areas without injecting trendy suburbanism into those developments. Even though it meant years in delay, I cheered when Post-Atlanta pulled out. The site is an absolute one-of-a-kind and I feared an Atlanta-type development would grace the hillside above downtown and that wouldn't have fit who we are.

With Streuver the lead developer of the $230 million/600 residential/retail development on the adjoining 15-acres designated as the Thermal property, they can create absolute synergy with the additional 34-acres on the hilltop. We're about to see something incredibly unique and livable/walkable within a stone's throw of downtown. I like the idea of injecting a bit of Baltimore into our development picture. This $100 million first puzzle piece is the beginning of something really good.

Here's the Tennessean story in the paper today (July 13):

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...ESS01/507130394

The CityPaper is carrying the story:

http://www.nashvillecitypaper.com/index.cf...s&news_id=42817

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will be great for Nashville to have Streuver Bros. as one of the two developers on this project. I think that will help the Sounds proposal to go through as well. I dont think we will be able to recognize the SoBro area from its current state today, to what it will be like in the next 2 or 3 years. With Gateway blvd. being extended to 8th avenue in the next few years to all the development that will be on either side of of Gateway blvd, the change is going to be dramatic and something to be proud of.

Depends on what you call downtown, I guess. This to me, is totally downtown. On First Ave, three/four blocks from Broadway sounds like downtown to me.

My personal perception of downtown is everything inside the inner loop. Technically, that may or may not be correct. But to me, that's downtown.

Thanks. I'm not very familiar with downtown, I don't go there very often. Whenever I do, it's always just around Demonbreun St. and the AmSouth Tower, because that's where my mom works.

Do you think you could give me the streets that generally form the perimeter of downtown, and the actual size of that region?

When I first read the article, it seemed strange that the city would pick a developer--why on earth would the city care? Then of course it dawned on me that the city owns this land as well as other property downtown--the proposed stadium/thermal plant site in particular.

Does the city own the Gulch area as well?

In some ways, it might be good that the city is able to oversee development like that. In other ways, it might create another layer of committees, studies, commissions, etc.

I did notice in one of the newspaper articles that the city had been dickering with developers for this project since the late 90's. I wonder how much would have been done earlier if the city wasn't involved? That's hypothetical of course since the city owns the dirt.

Downtown's area is debatable, but I would say the CBD would be defined as Broadway to the James Robertson Parkway, and 1st to 10th.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the best definition of a city's downtown area is what the locals think of as downtown. That's something that probably 95% of the population could agree on.

This might help explain the role of MDHA.

No, they don't own the Gulch.

Note the other links a well.

http://www.nashville.gov/mdha/rolling_mill_hill.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, is the city's involvement to ensure the sort of development that it wants or does the city own the property?

After living here for 50+ years, I guess I'm local enough. Downtown to me usually ended at Jefferson on the north, Lafayette Street on the South, the river on the east, and I-40 on the west. But that's just where my boundaries are. I don't see that it really makes much difference anyway; if you think you're downtown, you probably are.

sleepy, I don't know much more than what's on the website about MDHA, but generally their purpose is to ensure quality development. The city currently owns the Hill site, the thermal site, etc. MDHA wants to make sure that the money its spent on studies and structure plans aren't thrown to the wind by a developer who might want to put his mark on downtown ala Snork. As the site said, the city wants to be able to provide pad ready sites for the developers. That means that we know where the streets will be, the green spaces will be, the types of pavement, sidewalk material, rights of way, even down to the trash receptacles. We know which historic structures will be preserved and how. These studies are expensive and broad-based to assure the type of developments that will enhance the city for the long haul. Public input, as well as consultants are encouraged.

I wish I knew more about it, but I can just keep reading.

I do know the Gulch is owned by Nashville Urban Ventures and not the city. The final parcel was just acquired so movement will begin to escalate in that development now.

Rolling Mill Hill is definitely a developement I'm keeping my eye on. I just bought my home not to long ago but I'm planning on moving downtown in the next few years. My first pick would be a condo in the signature, but who knows how pricey those will be.

Archived