Eyesores that need to be replace in the area

Tayfromcarolina

I nominate any and all K-mart Stores. Especially the one directly in front Of Triangle Towne Center Mall. All the buildings around there are practically new and shiny and then you have that huge monstrosity sitting right there in that prime location. And to make matters worse. A brand new Jared's Galleria of jewelry just opened on the hill in front of the K-mart yet directly behind it is the "Ugliness of K-mart"

Sheesh. :wacko: They should remodel or something, ttherwise they should just contine chapter 11 and close up shop.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they will remodel since they just purchased Sears, or they 'merged' or whatever.

I'd have to say, all of Capital Boulevard is an eyesore, from where it comes out of downtown all the way up to the mall...its all ugly.

New Bern Avenune/64 Business is also kinda crappy.

But as for buildings that don't work with the surrounding areas...they just tore down one of the biggest (Kidds Hill Plaza) and they're about to tear down Warren Distributing. While not an eyesore per se, it doesn't work with the fabric of Glenwood South anymore.

Oh, and just looking through NorffCarolina's Five Points thread, that Audio store building has GOT to go. That thing is ridiculously nasty.

I agree that all of Capital Blvd. is an eyesore. I despise taking US 1 north due to all of the traffic. I'm not sure what the city can do there. With North Hills growing on one side and Knightdale and Wakefield on the other ends, it seems like it would be difficult to attract new growth in that area. However, there may be some possibilities closer to downtown if we can land some major jobs down there.

In my opinion, the biggest eyesores in the city are the two ENTIRE CITY BLOCKS CATI-CORNERED FROM THE CAPITOL between Wilmington, Person, Edenton, and Jones Streets. It's tough to imagine downtown real estate much primer than that, and they're just parking lots?! :sick:

hillsborough3.jpg

The Baptist Student Center on Hillsborough Street has got to go. I'm glad that there's a Baptist Student Center, and I have nothing wrong with it being on Hillsborough Street, but the building is just awful. Looking at it from the sidewalk, it seems a lot like a jail designed to keep the criminals and wackos from the college and the street out. The cavernous entrance to their below-grade parking looks like a mouth that will eat hapless pedestrians as they walk by. And this is on the nicer part of Hillsborough, too. Hideous. Absolutely hideous.

I cannot stand the visual clutter of utility poles. I am especially distraught by all of the poles, guidewires and other visual clutter that goes up when a new traffic signal is installed. I wish Raleigh would use either mast-arm or at least metal poles to support their signal lights.

JB

beware.jpg

This is what the Baptist Student Center looks like head-on.

And like I said before - don't get me wrong, I have nothing wrong with the Baptist student center being located on Hillsborough street. I think it would be very appropriate as the second floor of a new building right on its current spot.

What I do have a problem with is the building's hideous architecture. It faces the side street and treats Hillsborough like an alleyway!

Oh yeah, and it eats pedestrians, too!

^haha, that's hilarious! :D

It does seem that the stretch of Hillsborough near campus is a haven for ugly buildings. I have no clue what someone was thinking when they drew up the BSC and then put the entrance on Gardner for good measure. The building that used to be Pantanas' Pool Hall is absolutely hideous; a tall box with an odd metal roof and absolutely no windows? While I've grown accustomed to Western Lanes' 1960's facade, I can't say it's attractive. (Though the 1960's *interior* can stay exactly the way it is, it's awesome...) And it seems that many of the other rows of stores were designed to be as bland as possible. There are a couple of exceptions; Mitch's/Hillsborough Street Textbooks (the old theater)/Frazier's/Porter's is a row of fairly distinctive buildings. But, generally speaking, it's bad. Even the university gets into the act; the Hillsborough Building isn't very attractive either, not to mention out of scale for that side of the street.

(Though it's not really their fault, they didn't build the building, just bought it sometime in the 70's I think.)

• 1 month later...

Archived