Train Derailment in Spartanburg

GSP Tiger

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, I heard a news report on this today. The incident you originally spoke about was in Whitestone at the BASF plant. They said that the chemical in that tank could have leveled a 1 mile area around it if it had exploded. That is massive. There are areas outside of that 1 mile area that would be affected too.

That is a pretty scary thought to me, so I thought I'd make a map of it. Here is a map of areas at risk in Spartanburg County. This is the true purpose of GIS.

The colors are in 1 mile increments from the RR tracks in blue. I included an outline of the urban area in Spartanburg County so you can see where the people are concentrated. Most of it is in red.

Spartanburg_RailRisk.jpg

Spartanburg is more of the upstate's center for railroads with CSX adn NS having lines in multiple directions. No matter where a railroad is or whatever is on the track, there is always that chance of danger occurring.

If I remember correctly, CSX has an active line from Greenville to Anderson. Does Belton's tank farm lie on that somewhere?

Spartanburg is more of the upstate's center for railroads with CSX adn NS having lines in multiple directions.  No matter where a railroad is or whatever is on the track, there is always that chance of danger occurring.

If I remember correctly, CSX has an active line from Greenville to Anderson.  Does Belton's tank farm lie on that somewhere?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, we are the Hub City ;)

Yes, the tank farms are in the red zone. Those tracks that run by them are reflected in this map. You have to judge for yourself exactly where it is. Its on the one that runs SE from the city.

Archived