Gaud

Ruso

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone like Gaudi's works? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think they are very interesting from a textural standpoint. I could never be that free and fluid in my design.

All of Gaudi's work has a very tactile sense to it like a lot of Sullivan's ornament on his buildings. You almost feel compelled to go up and touch it.

Is Gaudi my favorite architect?...No, but I think he work is exteremly interesting.

Nitro

• 1 month later...

I love it because it's so unique and makes buildings come alive!! How many other works would fit in well underwater?

Not sure about the rest of the world, but there is one resort in Costa Rica (the name escapes me) where the arhitecture was inspired by his work.

• 3 weeks later...

What I love about his work is his concern about being unique. He adapted architecture to the city, he gave it a more representative architecture. By creating his own style, he formed a new tendency which was adapted to the region, he expanded their pride and self-love to the realm of architecture.

:ph34r:

• 2 months later...

The great thing about Gaudi is the space created within. I don't know if anyone has experienced finding their way through the sagrada familia? It is a one of a kind,uniqueand uplifting feeling!. As objects go, Gaudi's design style you either love or not. Gaudi was a master of space.

Life is experienced inbetween the walls, a building is simply an object that forms it.

The great thing about Gaudi is the space created within. I don't know if anyone has experienced finding their way through the sagrada familia? It is a one of a kind,uniqueand uplifting feeling!. As objects go, Gaudi's design style you either love or not. Gaudi was a master of space.

Life is experienced inbetween the walls, a building is simply an object that forms it.

Well said. I think that is the greatest aspiration of architecture and what allows it to transcend mere building. Regardless of whether you like Gaudi's style, his designs are reflective of Catalan culture, climate and customs (sorry for the alliteration) in their playfulness, spatial fluidity, materials, detailing, etc. I personally find Parc Guell to be one of the greatest parks anywhere in the world.

Additionally, and perhaps more importantly, he fostered a sense of pride in place and culture in Catalonia that had as its centerpiece architecture and urbanism that pervades to this day in the building that has occurred since Barcelona was able to emerge from the Franco era neglect that had beset Madrid's attitude towards the Catalans. The infrastructure, parks, buildings, Forum 2004, the port and marina areas have all been built within a sophisticated view towards architecture and urbanism.

• 3 weeks later...

Gaudi's work is definitely different. Back in 2003, my wife and I visited Barcelona twice, and though we only viewed Sagrada Familia from the street, we did spend a lot of time in Parc Guell and touring his other works in the Avinguda Diagonal/Passeig de Gracia area (forgive the spelling...my Catalan sometimes fails me).

Aside from the fact that one cannot put a straight edge to any of his works, one must appreciate that Gaudi is one of the few architects ever whose work is instantly recognizable. We devised a simple rule while walking around Barcelona: if you see a building that looks like it is oozing into the street, it's definitely Gaudi.

For those planning a European getaway, Barcelona is a must-see.

Archived