Quito

Ruso

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, forgot to explain....lol

These are picture taken from the internet from Quito, Ecuador. This is an andean city, located at about 2800 meters from sea level. It is the capital of Ecuador, and the first city in the world to be declared global patrimony by the UN. :ph34r:

Sorry, forgot to explain....lol

These are picture taken from the internet from Quito, Ecuador. This is an andean city, located at  about 2800 meters from sea level. It is the capital of Ecuador, and the first city in the world to be declared global patrimony by the UN.  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have not seen many photos of Quito, so thanks for posting these. It looks quite interesting. Can you explain what global patrimony means?

^I believe he meant to say it's a "world heritage" site.

Nice photos... I have seen Guayaquil before but not Quito.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

World heritage, right, thank you!! Yes, Guayaquil has been very well promoted lately. Ten years ago, it was one of the most horrible, deorganized cities in the Pacific. It was after the administration of Leon Febres Cordero and Jaime Nebot that Guayaquil became a nicer city. The problem is that the areas known are very little compared to the gigantic areas of misery. It is a shame. Quito, has grown a lot, but what interest people the most is the Colonial center. That is the world heritage. There you can see many, many american tourists. :ph34r:

As many Latin American cities, Quito has been very badly planned. While the colonial center, constructed by the Spaniards was very well constructed and administered, after our independence, Quito was named capital, and the administration became purely american. Ecuador's agricultural economy, the colonial system of monocultivism, social problems of discrimination and class clashes, and a central governmet based on family names and money(oligarchy), made it very hard for Quito to develop. While Guayaquil, the port, grew steadily, and became our only industrial city, Quito was isolated and managed by Catholic, conservative and oligarchical leaders. It was only after 1970 that Ecaudro experienced a major economic "boom" with petrolum. Important multinacional companies started investing here, and many middle class people rose, constructing the current modern part of the city. This growth, however, was terrible because of the lack of planification and conscience of most. A lot of the people who became economically wealthy were not educated, and constructed by ignoring any kind of regulations. (We have a ver lame justice system, so nobody stopped them. ) It grew so much in so little time, in an area so limited because of the so many mountains (Andes), that now, it has become a snake-shaped city, expanded to he north and south, but extremely short from east to west. This causes terrible traffic. A subway is not an option because of the height, which is 2800 meter above sea level, so we have buses, taxis and "troles", which are long buses with a separted lane, only for their use.

-Quito, Ecuador has the largest colonial, historic center in the Americas.

-It is the first city declared Cultural Patrimony of the World by the UN.

-It is the second highest capital in the world.

-The nation to which Quito is the capital is named Ecuador, because it was from Quito that the equator was measured for the first time.

-Ecuador has the Galapagos Islands, that, as I hope most of you know, is the place where Charles Darwin developed his theory of Evolution.

-A month ago, there was a conference organized in there regarding Evolution, which assembled the most important biologist in the world. If you are interested, check out the last National Geographic edition, "Was Darwin Wrong?".

We dont have much, but we have a little....

Nice pictures! I like the last one in your first post of the lenticular cloud hanging over the mountain (Guagua Pichincha?). Since you mentioned Quito was the second highest capital city I had to Google for the highest. I thought it would be Kathmandu - wrong, it is La Paz, Bolivia!

Ecuador is known for its volcanos. Chimborazo can even claim to be the highest mountain on Earth. That is, if you measure the distance by how far the summit is from the Earth's center. The Earth bulges at the equator so Ecuador can lay claim to the highest ground - with an asterisk of course.

It is an interesting place that I would love to visit some day!

Nice pictures!  I like the last one in your first post of the lenticular cloud hanging over the mountain (Guagua Pichincha?).  Since you mentioned Quito was the second highest capital city I had to Google for the highest.  I thought it would be Kathmandu - wrong, it is La Paz, Bolivia!

Ecuador is known for its volcanos.  Chimborazo can even claim to be the highest mountain on Earth.  That is, if you measure the distance by how far the summit is from the Earth's center.  The Earth bulges at the equator so Ecuador can lay claim to the highest ground - with an asterisk of course.

It is an interesting place that I would love to visit some day!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, it is indeed a nice place to visit. The picture you mention was taking during an eruption. We all joke about that, because while at the States you stop classes because of snow, we stop them because of strikes and volcanoes.LOL. Yes, you should visit, because besides the Galapagos Islands ( Unique in the world, where Charles Darwin wrote his evolution theories), you have thousands of indigenous cultures, the amazonic jungle, incaican ruines, huge mountains, incredible animals and colonial, spanish constructions. You also have modern urban areas. In Quito, we have now the "Teleferico", which is a proyect which includes themes parks, rides on "cable cars"(I dont know their name in english, is a transport that hangs in cables), restaurants, malls, museums, and is all constructed in the Pichincha Volcanoe. Also, Ecuador is the most biologically diverse nation in the world, despite its small size.

Lol, am advertising my nation, I sound like travel agent. :wacko: Sorry

:ph34r:

The spanish city was established in 1517. However, there were many naive settlements before, and for some historians, it was an important incan market. The weather is, for me, perfect. There is no seasons, and we got sun, rain and cold weather all in the same day. B) :ph34r:

The spanish city was established in 1517. However, there were many naive settlements before, and for some historians, it was an important incan market. The weather is, for me, perfect. There is no seasons, and we got sun, rain and cold weather all in the same day.  B)  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As far as climate is concerned that would be a very odd concept for me to get used to. We have very distinct seasons where I live. It seems that the Incans are focused on quite a bit. I've also heard of the Nazca but haven't heard much of anything about any of the other historical cultures in the Andes area.

It grew so much in so little time, in an area so limited because of the so many mountains (Andes), that now, it has become a snake-shaped city, expanded to he north and south, but extremely short from east to west. This causes terrible traffic. A subway is not an option because of the height, which is 2800 meter above sea level, so we have buses, taxis and "troles", which are long buses with a separted lane, only for their use.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was wondering, can you explain why the height makes a subway not an option? I am completely ignorant about engineering, so...

Not that big, about 1,399,378. Of course, this does not include the surrounding valleys, and ilegal residents. MM, the white one, Cotopaxi is 19,388 feet (5,911 m). Then the blue, thick one, Pichincha, 4100 meters. Cotopaxi is still active... :huh:  :ph34r:

http://volcano.und.nodak.edu/vwdocs/volc_i...g_cotopaxi.html

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well compared to my state that's a pretty large city. Arkansas is rather lowly populated and Little Rock is really the only 'real' city and it is much smaller than that.

Well hope you don't mind questions, because I've got more. I've heard that in Mexico and the 'cone' area of South America, Argentina and Chile, that the Spanish spoken is different than the rest of Latin America. Those are the two main areas I tend to hear about. I was just curious if there were any differences in Ecuador. Also are there many Native American languages left? How about music in your country? I am familiar with some Latin American music. Most of what I have heard and familiar with is from Mexico of course since it's much closer. I am also familiar with some tradtional music from the Andes area. As far as popular music is concerned the only ones I know much about are Shakira and Juanes, both from Colombia.

I was wondering, can you explain why the height makes a subway not an option?  I am completely ignorant about engineering, so...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, I am not going to lie to you. I have no idea. :blush: I have heard that from the city's authorities. I think it also has to do with the so high possibility of earthquakes and eruptions. :unsure::ph34r:

Archived