Quito

Ruso

Well hope you don't mind questions, because I've got more.  I've heard that in Mexico and the 'cone' area of South America, Argentina and Chile, that the Spanish spoken is different than the rest of Latin America.  Those are the two main areas I tend to hear about.  I was just curious if there were any differences in Ecuador.  Also are there many Native American languages left?  How about music in your country?  I am familiar with some Latin American music.  Most of what I have heard and familiar with is from Mexico of course since it's much closer.  I am also familiar with some tradtional music from the Andes area.  As far as popular music is concerned the only ones I know much about are Shakira and Juanes, both from Colombia.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I dont mind at all. :D The accent from evry country is different. You can easily identify a peruvian from a bolivian, from an ecuadorian, by their accents. Nevertheless, for a second language speaker, it might be not that easy. After you mentioned it, I think that after some practice, english speakers can identify the stronger accents, such as in argentina, mexico, chile, from others. In Ecuador, you have more than 250 native dialects throughout the whole nation, most of them in the rainy forrest. Traditional music from the andes is beautiful, very common here. Also, you can find tropical music in the coast. Popular genres, you got many groups li Rocola Bacalao, La Grupa. Sinlge singer, Juan Fernando Velasco, who is just getting fame in miami.

:ph34r:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well compared to my state that's a pretty large city.  Arkansas is rather lowly populated and Little Rock is really the only 'real' city and it is much smaller than that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About how many people? Little Rock is the capital?

This one was the first Spanish church to be built in the area. It was construted over the ruins of an old "tiangues", or market in the natives's language. Its importance comes from that, being the building born from the clash between two different cultures, the Incas, or natives quitus, and the Spanish.

Before

6.JPG

later

IMG058.jpg

This little mountain is just in the middle of the city, right behind the colonial, historic center. It divides the northern part from the southern one. Unfortunately, Quito is planned according to the british model of forming the new, modern, rich city in the north, and placing the industry, factories and workers in the south. The virgen's back, on the top of the mountain, points towards the south. You could say, that it is our most sinificant skyline.

El_Panecillo_Quito.JPG

w_panecillo_c.jpg

Undoubtedly, this monument is very representative. Ecuador's name comes from the word "equator". This construction is build in latitute 0.

Equator%20near%20Quito%20jan%2003.jpg

equator.jpg

The Cathedral

Quito%20Colonial%20Building.jpg

And finally, our most representative factor, our mountains....

Quito.jpg

quito-pichincha.jpg

%7Boption%7Dhttp://www.galapagosnet.com/bus/images/QUITO%20MODERNO%20A%20LAS%20FALDAS%20DEL%20VOLC

I dont mind at all. :D  The accent from evry country is different. You can easily identify a peruvian from a bolivian, from an ecuadorian, by their accents. Nevertheless, for a second language speaker, it might be not that easy. After you mentioned it, I think that after some practice, english speakers can identify the stronger accents, such as in argentina, mexico, chile, from others. In Ecuador, you have more than 250 native dialects throughout the whole nation, most of them in the rainy forrest. Traditional music from the andes is beautiful, very common here. Also, you can find tropical music in the coast. Popular genres, you got many groups li Rocola Bacalao, La Grupa. Sinlge singer, Juan Fernando Velasco, who is just getting fame in miami.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. But as far as the Latin American countries are concerned if I remember correctly it's not just accents but that they tend to use different words than the rest of Latin America. I know Mexico is like this because of it's closeness to the US. Seems like I also heard something about Argentina and Chile using quite a few different words that aren't used by the rest of Latin America or something along those lines. I might have to look into some of the music you mentioned. While it's nice having the Mexican music I have now it might also be nice to have more from other areas of Latin America.

I know in countries like Argentina most of the people have European ancestry and there are very few people with Native American ancestry. Do you have any ideas how Ecuador is in this aspect?

About how many people? Little Rock is the capital?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Little Rock is the capitol, in the city limits it has around 185,000. In the metro I think it's getting close to 600,000. I live in Fayetteville and it has grown a lot and is now the third largest city in Arkansas at around 65,000 to 70,000. But there are a number of other similar sized city in my area so the metro is around 350,000 in northwest Arkansas. As a whole I think Arkansas has has around 2,750,000 people.

True. But it is only about the usage of few words. It is not difficult to understand, after a few days, you get used to it. But those linguistic differerences are also common among andean and tropical countries. Even in the different regions inside one nation, as it ocurrs here in Ecuador. The coastal expressions are very different from the expressions used in the mountains(where I live). It is funny because there are words like "coger", which for us means "to take something", that in Argentina means "fxxx". Or "cola" which in Ecuador means soda, and in argentina means prostitute. Lol, when u are foreign you might end up saying "Puedo coger una Cola?"

True. But it is only about the usage of few words. It is not difficult to understand, after a few days, you get used to it. But those linguistic differerences are also common among andean and tropical countries. Even in the different regions inside one nation, as it ocurrs here in Ecuador. The coastal expressions are very different from the expressions used in the mountains(where I live).  It is funny because there are words like "coger", which for us means "to take something", that in Argentina means "fxxx". Or "cola" which in Ecuador means soda, and in argentina means prostitute. Lol, when u are foreign you might end up saying "Puedo coger una  Cola?"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the closest example we have are the differences between American English and British English, but in most cases there usually aren't too many examples of something be accidentally said that would be offensive to the other. Well actually I have thought of something. In the US people are often said to 'root' for a team, as to cheer, support and so on. But in Australia it has an obscene meaning to it.

I know in countries like Argentina most of the people have European ancestry and there  are very few people with Native American ancestry.  Do you have any ideas how Ecuador is in this aspect?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Correct. Argentina, similarly to the USA, is made of European immigrants, most of them Italians. They made horrible campaigns to eliminate the natives in the land, thinking that was the solution to South America's underdevelopment. Currently, they are hated because of their estereotypical arrogance. Undoubtedly, they have had much more scientists, writters, architects and artists than most of the rest of latin american nations.

Ecuador is a completely mixed nation. Spanish whites, native darks, africanecuadorians, make of my nation one of the most racially diverse in the world. Sadly, this mixture has caused many complexes and clashes between races. The oligrachical (whites) have opressed the rest for many years, and still do. After the arisal of some marginal classes to power, the conflicts and abuses between members of the same race worsened. Now we have pathetic fights between the old, traditional "white"oligarchy and the new rich, earlier segregated people. :ph34r:

Correct. Argentina, similarly to the USA, is made of European immigrants, most of them Italians. They made horrible campaigns to eliminate the natives in the land, thinking that was the solution to South America's underdevelopment. Currently, they are hated because of their estereotypical arrogance. Undoubtedly, they have had much more scientists, writters, architects and artists than most of the rest of latin american nations.

Ecuador is a completely mixed nation. Spanish whites, native darks, africanecuadorians, make of my nation one of the most racially diverse in the world. Sadly, this mixture has caused many complexes and clashes between races. The oligrachical (whites) have opressed the rest for many years, and still do. After the arisal of some marginal classes to power, the conflicts and abuses between members of the same race worsened. Now we have pathetic fights between the old, traditional "white"oligarchy and the new rich, earlier segregated people.  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Would you say that most of the groups keep themselves segregated from each other? Or is there much interracial mixing in Ecuador? If my questions are offensive please let me know. I know some questions like this aren't particularly welcome in some areas.

Another big difference from our respective areas is the history. Not meaning to diminish the Native Americans in my area, but they didn't have the great civilizations like the Incas and so on. The French did settle Arkansas Post in 1686, which is quite old for this area. But it never developed into much and eventually floods wiped everything away. But in Arkansas most of the oldest cities and structures are from the 1800's. Unfortunately there really aren't any Native Americans left in Arkansas. Most were either wiped out by settlers, disease or eventually pushed further west.

Since I am full of questions I will continue. I am a very big fan of Mexican food and cuisine. But I don't know much about the cuisine in the rest of Latin America. Can you describe the food there? Do you have any that is particular to just Ecuador? I also am a big fan of chile peppers. But most of what I can get up here are what is popular in Mexico. Can you tell me more about chiles in Ecuador?

Would you say that most of the groups keep themselves segregated from each other?  Or is there much interracial mixing in Ecuador?  If my questions are offensive please let me know.  I know some questions like this aren't particularly welcome in some areas.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, I like curious people who are interested in more than just their world. I dont get offended at all. Infact, I would like to know a bit more about Arkansas. :) I also know, that my crude, yet true commentaries are not welcome either in some places. lol

There is a lot of interracial mixing yes. Nevertheless, the prejudices towards these mixings are very common. There is a lt of rascism from the rich classes. Being in a private school, I get to see how much importance most give to names and traditions.

Another big difference from our respective areas is the history.  Not meaning to diminish the Native Americans in my area, but they didn't have the great civilizations like the Incas and so on.  The French did settle Arkansas Post in 1686, which is quite old for this area.  But it never developed into much and eventually floods wiped everything away.  But in Arkansas most of the oldest cities and structures are from the 1800's.  Unfortunately there really aren't any Native Americans left in Arkansas.  Most were either wiped out by settlers, disease or eventually pushed further west.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right. While in North America, most were nomads, here you had the Inca Empire. Also, while the british almost eliminated the natives, the Spanish raped many women and conceived a new race.

Since I am full of questions I will continue.  I am a very big fan of Mexican food and cuisine.  But I don't know much about the cuisine in the rest of Latin America.  Can you describe the food there?  Do you have any that is particular to just Ecuador?  I also am a big fan of chile peppers.  But most of what I can get up here are what is popular in Mexico.  Can you tell me more about chiles in Ecuador?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ecuadorian food is not that famous. We might distinguish ourselves with soups, and pig meat. Also,many traditional sweets :silly::ph34r:

I guess I have been trying to figure out if Ecuadorean food is more similar to Spanish food or Mexican food. To be honest Outside of Mexico I don't know much about the food and cuisine of the rest of Latin America. I believe chile peppers originated from South America so I would assume they are used somewhat. I also know that potatoes are from South America. What are some tradtional and well known foods.

I know the Mexicans have tequila and I am well aware of it. I have heard of a drink called pescado that I believe is found in at least some of South America. Are you familiar with it and do you know what it is made from or how?

I guess I have been trying to figure out if Ecuadorean food is more similar to Spanish food or Mexican food.  To be honest Outside of Mexico I don't know much about the food and cuisine of the rest of Latin America.  I believe chile peppers originated from South America so I would assume they are used somewhat.  I also know that potatoes are from South America.  What are some tradtional and well known foods. 

I know the Mexicans have tequila and I am well aware of it.  I have heard of a drink called pescado that I believe is found in at least some of South America.  Are you familiar with it and do you know what it is made from or how?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is a shame, but I do not know much about ecuadorian food. I guess you can say that is not as saucy as mexican. It is especially composed by potatoes (ur right), corn, soups, sea food, and many, many fruits. Drinks, you have a lot of coconut, coctails, beer and rum. I havent heard of pescado, sounds interesting though. :ph34r:

Also if you have any questions about Arkansas please feel free to ask.  There is also an Arkansas forum under the Southern US forum.  I don't know if there is a lot of basic info there but you might find something there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool, because I did not know much about Arkansas. Lafayette seems great. :ph34r:

It is a shame, but I do not know much about ecuadorian food. I guess you can say that is not as saucy as mexican. It is especially composed by potatoes (ur right), corn, soups, sea food, and many, many fruits. Drinks, you have a lot of coconut, coctails, beer and rum. I havent heard of pescado, sounds interesting though.  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm I guess pescado is from some other part of South America. Maybe it's Argentina, I'm not sure now. I've never been able to find out what it is exactly. I'm pretty sure it's some type of hard liquor. So rum is big there, I guess most people here tend to think of the Caribbean islands when they think of rum. I know there's wine around Chile and Argentina. I don't know if there's any anywhere else in South America. How about coffee? Brazil grows a lot but a lot of it tends to be the lower grade stuff. There's also Colombia, and now it seems Bolivia is getting more into coffee. So is there not much in the way of chile peppers there? I've heard of two that I know are from South America. Aji and rocoto/locoto depending on where you're from. But then again many chile peppers seem to have different names all over Latin America.

Just to add more questions to you next response. Are there different foods eaten in different areas of Ecuador? I know in Mexico the food tends to vary on where in Mexico you are. There tends to be a big difference between northern and southern Mexico. Are there differences say in between the mountainous areas and the coast? Sorry I know that food doesn't seem to be your specialty.

I take it climate varies depending on elevation. Is there much variance between areas? I also got the impression that the temperature doesn't vary much there in Quito. You might be surprised how much it can vary where I am away from the coast and away from the equator where there are distinct seasons. Recently we got up to 101F which is around 38C. It isn't a real common occurance but it seems to happen at least a few times every 3-5 years. In the winter time it isn't too uncommon for low temperatures to occasionally dip down around 5F which is about -10C. The temperature variance can be even greater in other areas of the US further away from the coast.

Hmmm I guess pescado is from some other part of South America.  Maybe it's Argentina, I'm not sure now.  I've never been able to find out what it is exactly.  I'm pretty sure it's some type of hard liquor.  So rum is big there, I guess most people here tend to think of the Caribbean islands when they think of rum.  I know there's wine around Chile and Argentina.  I don't know if there's any anywhere else in South America.  How about coffee?  Brazil grows a lot but a lot of it tends to be the lower grade stuff.  There's also Colombia, and now it seems Bolivia is getting more into coffee.  So is there not much in the way of chile peppers there?  I've heard of two that I know are from South America.  Aji and rocoto/locoto depending on where you're from.  But then again many chile peppers seem to have different names all over Latin America.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:alc:

Wine is also pretty popular here. But it is a rather expensive drink. Massively, you could say beer is the most common. Ohhh, and cofee is just magnificently consumed. We are just underneath Colombia, so we get a lot of it. I love coffee, lol. Aj

:alc:

Wine is also pretty popular here. But it is a rather expensive drink. Massively, you could say beer is the most common. Ohhh, and cofee is just magnificently consumed. We are just  underneath Colombia, so we get a lot of it. I love coffee, lol. Aj

No, I like curious people who are interested in more than just their world. I dont get offended at all. Infact, I would like to know a bit more about Arkansas. :) I also know, that my crude, yet  true commentaries are not welcome either in some places. lol :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At first I was wondering what you meant because I hadn't seen any of your posts that could be viewed this way but I did finally find the 'London bombings' topic. I don't think I have been very popular in some aspects with some of my discussions in the Arkansas or Southeast US forums, with my hispanic growth topics.

I have heard a little about some South American countries and their governments. What can you tell me about the government in Ecuador? I'm afraid Ecuador is one of the South American countries I have heard very much about. Or if there is a particular topic you'd like to discuss about your country please feel free to do so. I'd be happy to learn many different aspects about your country.

Just to add more questions to you next response.  Are there different foods eaten in different areas of Ecuador?  I know in Mexico the food tends to vary on where in Mexico you are.  There tends to be a big difference between northern and southern Mexico.  Are there differences say in between the mountainous areas and the coast?  Sorry I know that food doesn't seem to be your specialty. 

I take it climate varies depending on elevation.  Is there much variance between areas?  I also got the impression that the temperature doesn't vary much there in Quito.  You might be surprised how much it can vary where I am away from the coast and away from the equator where there are distinct seasons.  Recently we got up to 101F which is around 38C.  It isn't a real common occurance but it seems to happen at least a few times every 3-5 years.  In the winter time it isn't too uncommon for low temperatures to occasionally dip down around 5F which is about -10C.  The temperature variance can be even greater in other areas of the US further away from the coast.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, foods also vary a lot from region to region. Here, the differences are mainly between mountains and coast. Not only food, also, traditions, ideals, music is different. In the coast they tend to be more liberal, whereas Quito and Cuenca are rather traditional. Temperature is hot in the coast, and in Quito, it is mostly cold. Yet, the weather changes many times in a day in Quito. WOW, 38C is alot!!! I lived there for two years, and I just could not take it. I prefer extreme cold, than extreme warm. You can always cover yourself up with more things in the cold. :ph34r:

I have heard a little about some South American countries and their governments.  What can you tell me about the government in Ecuador?  I'm afraid Ecuador is one of the South American countries I have heard very much about.  Or if there is a particular topic you'd like to discuss about your country please feel free to do so.  I'd be happy to learn many different aspects about your country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I see you found the London Bombings topic. You'll see that they just can not get that the problem is not either christianity, or islam, the problem is fundamentalism. You exposed good points. Anyways, the Ecuadorian government is a real complicate issue. Just in April, we overthrowned Lucio Gutierrez. He was becoming to become dictator by changing the judges in the supreme court. In a constitutional, democratic state, the executive power does not have that right. So the whole city stood up with a total strike with marches and massive manifistations. The gov's answer was with toxic gases, attacks aganst the press, and paid counterprotesters. I was trapped many times in those horrible gasese(the ones that make you stop breathing, cry and vomit). He was finally out, after the withdrawal of the army's support and now the vicepresident is in the gov palace. We have had, because of these kind of takings over power, 8 presidents in 6 years. lol....complicated, and desorganized unfortunatelly

I see you found the London Bombings topic. You'll see that they just can not get that the problem is not either christianity, or islam, the problem is fundamentalism. You exposed good points. Anyways, the Ecuadorian government is a real complicate issue. Just in April, we overthrowned Lucio Gutierrez. He was becoming to become  dictator by changing the judges in the supreme court. In a constitutional, democratic state, the executive power does not have that right. So the whole city stood up with a total  strike with marches and massive manifistations. The gov's answer was with toxic gases, attacks aganst the press, and paid counterprotesters. I was trapped many times in those horrible gasese(the ones that make you stop breathing, cry and vomit). He was finally out, after the  withdrawal of the army's  support and now the vicepresident is in the gov palace. We have had, because of these kind of takings over power, 8 presidents in 6 years. lol....complicated, and desorganized unfortunatelly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry to hear about your government problems there. Has this been typical? Or I guess I mean has this been a more recent problem or one that has existed a while? Thanks for your comments on the London bombings, you also had some good points. Although in many ways this is very different in in some ways has tones of another problem I've seen recently. There has been a big influx of hispanics in the US. For quite a while this mainly affected the states next to the US-Mexico border. Now hispanics are quickly spreading into other areas of the country. In particularly into the southeastern areas of the US including my home state of Arkansas. While most of this has been focused on the illegal immigrants, it seems to me that many people aren't discriminating between illegal immigrants and just hispanics in general. I didn't get much response in the Arkansas forum on this but did get a little in the general southern US forum before it quickly died off. Anyway just thought it might be something you find interesting seeing your reponses on the London bombings.

Archived