New Tallest for Daytona

FLClarkKent

Proposed condo-hotel would be Daytona's tallest

DAYTONA BEACH -- Simply call it The Blu.

Bedecked in blue glass, a new $200 million condo-hotel is proposed to rise 33 stories on the oceanfront -- higher than any building in Volusia or Flagler counties.

For now, at least.

"This building will be the poster child for the new oceanfront development standards," said Doug Kosarek, senior vice president of Ocean Waters Development, the development arm of Oceans Resorts, the largest hotelier in the area with 14 oceanfront motels including The Plaza Resort & Spa.

The proposal -- submitted Tuesday to city staff, which has yet to review the plans -- continues an upward trend for Daytona Beach. Since the taller of the Ocean Walk towers opened last year at 24 stories, the city also has approved plans for the 19-story Bellagio and the Milan, which is proposed for 22 stories.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJour...EAD02071405.htm

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Proposed condo-hotel would be Daytona's tallest

DAYTONA BEACH -- Simply call it The Blu.

Bedecked in blue glass, a new $200 million condo-hotel is proposed to rise 33 stories on the oceanfront -- higher than any building in Volusia or Flagler counties.

For now, at least.

"This building will be the poster child for the new oceanfront development standards," said Doug Kosarek, senior vice president of Ocean Waters Development, the development arm of Oceans Resorts, the largest hotelier in the area with 14 oceanfront motels including The Plaza Resort & Spa.

The proposal -- submitted Tuesday to city staff, which has yet to review the plans -- continues an upward trend for Daytona Beach. Since the taller of the Ocean Walk towers opened last year at 24 stories, the city also has approved plans for the 19-story Bellagio and the Milan, which is proposed for 22 stories.

http://www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJour...EAD02071405.htm

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This would be fantastic, if approved. Hold back the nimbys.

• 5 weeks later...

I just heard from a retailer on A1A that the Blu has been approved, sometime earlier this week.

Thats big news. Between Blu, Milan, Bellagio, the 4 Marina Grande condos, the 2 Beach St. condos, the NJC, the eventual Boardwalk redevelopment, the Ocean Center expansion, and another 20 or so condo and hotel projects in the area AND the A!A redevelopment program, DB will undoubtedly change forever.

Not to mention the total makeover of Seabreeze and Mainland HS. Mainland is unlike any HS I've seen anywhere in a while.

Also, the new Halifax Medical Center at LPGA; new hotels at the speedway and demolition of the Dog Track.

I just heard from a retailer on A1A that the Blu has been approved, sometime earlier this week.

Thats big news.  Between Blu, Milan, Bellagio, the 4 Marina Grande condos, the 2 Beach St. condos, the NJC, the eventual Boardwalk redevelopment, the Ocean Center expansion, and another 20 or so condo and hotel projects in the area AND the A!A redevelopment program, DB will undoubtedly change forever.

Not to mention the total makeover of Seabreeze and Mainland HS.  Mainland is unlike any HS I've seen anywhere in a while.

Also, the new Halifax Medical Center at LPGA; new hotels at the speedway and demolition of the Dog Track.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Woo-hoo ! I pretty much grew up in Daytona.

Where is the Blu supposed to be ? And where does the Boardwalk redev stand, given the legal wrangling ?

Haven't heard anything about boardwalk redevelopment in quite some time. It's been discussed for so long, I've started to tune it out.

I believe the Ocean Center expansion is supposed to get underway soon.

Was in downtown DB the other day. Hopefully these much-talked-about residential units will come online soon. That area needs a shot in the arm. Stat.

They are demolishing the Beachcomber next to Aliki Forum just south of Belaire Plaza.

Ocean Center expansion has already started. The lot just west of Peabody Auditorium is dirt w/ buldozers now, as they are constructing a parking garage for the Ocean Center. Once it's built, they will raze the surface parking for the new addition.

I think the Boardwalk redevelopment will happen along the same schedule as when 55W in Orlando gets topped off. :)

Not the Beachcomber! Man I love that hotel. My friends and I used to hang out there when we weren't out surfing. I wonder why they wouldn't shoot for demolishing one of the smaller hotels?

The boardwalk has been in dire need of revitalization as far back as I can remember. There was a time when a friend and I were offered some crack by some bum (we were only 14 I think). It was pretty bad for a few years.

I can't wait to see some focus shift away from the beaches to downtown. I could easily be world class with the great view of the Halifax and the towering condos/hotels in the distance. The infrastructure downtown could easily support some midrise office buildings and mixed use buildings.

They are demolishing the Beachcomber next to Aliki Forum just south of Belaire Plaza.

Ocean Center expansion has already started.  The lot just west of Peabody Auditorium is dirt w/ buldozers now, as they are constructing a parking garage for the Ocean Center.  Once it's built, they will raze the surface parking for the  new addition.

I think the Boardwalk redevelopment will happen along the same schedule as when 55W in Orlando gets topped off.  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Belaire Plaza's my old neighborhood ! 3030 Stanford Avenue, just a couple of blocks to the west of Seabreeze High.

I grew up about a mile from there on Golf Blvd behind Ortona Elementary.  I went to the Old Seabreeze high.  I don't recognize it anymore.

Are there any renderings of the Blu floating around?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I attended Ortona Elementary ! Second grade through fifth grade.

There's plans for Beach St. condos-- at the old Lloyd Buick dealership site. 2 towers, 20+ stories each.

And Marina Grande in Holly Hill at the old Publix SS just north of Parks Seafood off Beach St. near Seabreeze Bridge is a 4 tower project, 25 stories each.

There was an update on the Beach Street condos in the biz section of today's N-J. Two, 19-story towers on the site of Loyd Buick dealership. No retail, according to the developer, who added that the area couldn't support additional retail.

I found that rather odd, seeing as how they are proposing more than 400 condo units, but don't think they could support retail.

There's not a lot of retail in that area...closest grocery is quite a ways away.

Anyway, starting price is around $400 K.

There was an update on the Beach Street condos in the biz section of today's N-J. Two, 19-story towers on the site of Loyd Buick dealership. No retail, according to the developer, who added that the area couldn't support additional retail.

I found that rather odd, seeing as how they are proposing more than 400 condo units, but don't think they could support retail.

There's not a lot of retail in that area...closest grocery is quite a ways away.

Anyway, starting price is around $400 K.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The argument against retail struck me as odd too.

Also, an earlier article had the project up for final approval today - Aug. 17. Guess it's been moved back a bit.

They kept referring to an upscale grocery store...which I could see not working. But you would think some kind of retail would be viable, considering so many units are planned.

Are you in Daytona?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm in Orlando. I spent part of my childhood in Daytona. And my wife and I own a timeshare in Ormand Beach. So I keep up with developments in the area.

Let's just say Ortona's been around for a long, long time. I'm old enough to be your daddy. 

I was always under the impression is was built in the 70's. Anywho, I'm glad to meet some more DB natives.

How long ago did the Publix north of Parks Seafood close down? That whole plaza had been going south for quite some time. It's great to hear of some substantial development replacing it. Too bad they couldn't incorporate some retail and a grocery store.

• 2 months later...

Archived