New Tallest for Daytona

FLClarkKent

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm just glad to see Daytona getting a building taller than that cylindrical monstrosity, Peck Plaza, or whatever it's called.

And it sounds as though construction is not far off ?

Also, there was mention in earlier articles, about Blu, of still taller projects by that developer.

Oh, and Clark, anything further on towers downtown ? Beach St. and so forth ?

They announced plans for two condo towers on Beach Street at the site of the old Buick dealership. Not much traction with those yet.

Just up the road in Holly Hill (still Beach Street, sort of, but it's called Riverside Drive there) just north of the Seabreeze Bridge, they've started clearing the land for Marina Grande. Four towers - 20 stories each I think - on the river.

I don't particularly like the look of them, but this whole area needs a jump start. Hopefully the develpment will spill over onto the Ridgewood and Mason area.

They're being built on what was an empty shopping center, so no loss there.

You can get a look at the renderings at www.bocadevelopers.com

I'm just glad to see Daytona getting a building taller than that cylindrical monstrosity, Peck Plaza, or whatever it's called.

Heh. Daytona isn't exactly known for its stunning architecture.

I'd love to see some images of Daytona and its skyline. I don't get to see much of it.

If I knew how to post pictures, I'd take some. I'll look into it.

The beachside skyline looks much more impressive now than it did a few years ago. The concentration around the Ocean Center looks pretty good, especially as you're driving over one of the bridges to get to the beach.

It's not much yet, but it's definately getting there.

To post Photos on Urban Planet You can do the Following:

Find a host site like Photobucket.com (its free) sign up for it:

PB.jpg

From host site (Photobucket) you upload the image from your computer into a folder you designate. I have my folders organized by project name, or subject. Its easy to make the folders:

PBCategories.jpg

Each uploaded image has a tag associated with it that gives the location of the image a location:

Tag.jpg

Use that tag to link your image to UrbanPlanet... and you're done!

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The plan is for the Hall of Fame to be near the Speedway, on the same side of ISB. Across the street, at the existing ISC office complex - a very non-descript grouping of single-story buildings - the plan is to demolish all of that, build a 10-story or so office towner for the ISC and surround it with a retail/condo new urbanist shopping center/lifestyle center thing, a la Winter Park Village.

• 1 month later...

I was just down in Daytona for the 24 Hour, and it seems there has been some new development, i.e. residential projects around the stadium. And it seems as if the Daytona beach skyline is growing.

Now, question...where is downtown Daytona and are there any office buildings (i mean there has to be some commercial/office to serve half a mill of people). Also, do the people of Daytona feel more connected to Orlando or to Jacksonville (didn't Daytona have the 904 area code for a while?)?

I was just down in Daytona for the 24 Hour, and it seems there has been some new development, i.e. residential projects around the stadium. And it seems as if the Daytona beach skyline is growing.

Now, question...where is downtown Daytona and are there any office buildings (i mean there has to be some commercial/office to serve half a mill of people). Also, do the people of Daytona feel more connected to Orlando or to Jacksonville (didn't Daytona have the 904 area code for a while?)?

East Volusia County has under 300,000. Daytona's downtown is at US 92 and Beach St., with office bldgs. on Seabreeze as well- on the beachside. not much, though.

Jax is 80+ miles away. Downtown Orlando is 50 miles away. Daytona to Deltona on I-4 is a 10 minute drive up I-4. Sanford is 20 minutes. Deltona, or West Volusia, which has under 300,000, is part of Orlando metro, as the only divider of continuous populated area is the St. John's. Sanford is Seminole County, or, Orlando MSA.

Also, do the people of Daytona feel more connected to Orlando or to Jacksonville (didn't Daytona have the 904 area code for a while?)?

While Daytona has it's own MSA rankings and identity, they recieve radio/TV broadcasts from the Orlando media. I also see Daytona and Melbourne combined into Orlando's totals when Nielsen releases media market statistics. So I think the answer to your question would be Orlando. But then again, i could be wrong.

Archived