New Tallest for Daytona

FLClarkKent

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Just found out that Blu, while 33 stories, is only 330 Ft. It will not be a new tallest. It's still shorter than the ugly monstrosity Peck Plaza, which is 350 ft.

Peck Plaza is hideous. I have always hated that building. Blu will still look great where it will be built, and I don't think the Peck will reign too much longer.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While Daytona has it's own MSA rankings and identity, they recieve radio/TV broadcasts from the Orlando media. I also see Daytona and Melbourne combined into Orlando's totals when Nielsen releases media market statistics. So I think the answer to your question would be Orlando. But then again, i could be wrong.

You're right. I forgot. the NBC local affiliate, WESH-TV has a station in DB and WInter Park. And WFTV, Channel 9 does DB news as well.

• 1 month later...

Nothing going on with Blu. The Beachcomber still stands. In fact, for all its announced plans, comparatively little is going up on A1A from Ormond Beach down to Daytona Beach Shores. Even the Milan site is idle, and I thought it had been u/c for months.

Also, nothing going on downtown on the Lloyd Auto site.

Yes, 25 and 14 story towers are underway in Holly Hill, just north of downtown.

THe Milan site just recently got cleared, so they may be moving steadily with this as of January.

What's the 14 story tower in HH? Its not Marina Grande, right? Aren't all 4 towers 25 stories each?

There's alot of recently demolished lots up and down A1A from Aliki Forum down to Ponce Inlet city limits. and there's quite a few projects under way- mind you, not the really tall ones, but large projects nonetheless. I wish there was a database of projects U/C. I guess I could take pix next time I'm there of each lot & project. But here's what I do know:

1. Marina Grande 1

2. Marina Grande 2

3. bldg next to Beachcomber (18 story)

4. 3 lot demo across Aliki Tower; Amon Investment former proposal for 20+ story tower;

5. 12+ story wide condo south of Broadway

6. Milan site recently cleared

7. 1-2 towers south of Dunlawton near the Ashley

8. DiMucci- maybe 2 towers U/C

9. Ormond By Sea- 10+ story condo U/C

10. See No. 5 above, but in another location on A1A south of Broadway.

11. Oceans Grande? in finishing stages

12. condo near Peck Plaza & Peninsula U/C

these are off the top of my head. some may be inaccurate, but I probably left alot out that I haven't seen first hand.

THere's also those proposals for South Daytona; 3 separate 2-tower projects on Amon's site just for there; the Lloyd towers (2); Blu; The Grande; Boardwalk Redo; relocation of Cthse Annex for condos; etc...

Maybe it's just a timing thing and I got there right after clearing and before digging. Still, several of the sites seemed kind of weathered.

And the 14st project in Holly Hill is separate from Marina Grande.

no kidding. didn't know about that one.

I might be in DB on Sunday. If I go, I'll take notes on project names, b/c I can't find condo sites on the internet referencing them.

Blue update-- the developer just paid $2M+ for the italian restaurant across the street for future spillover parking for the Blue.

He also stated that they were purchasing the Shamrock Motel across the site from The Grande as well for the same reasons.

Ocean Center expansion has broken ground-- on the two adjacent city blocks directly west of the west entrance.

Mainland HS is closer to completion, with "Vince Carter Athletic Center" on the outside of the gym.

Halifax Hospital is building a 10 story addition to the existing hospital. It looks like they are staying in the current location.

Here's a short list of what's currently U/C condo-wise that I know of:

1. Marina Grande#1, 25 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

2. Marina Grande#2, 25 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

3. St. Maarten, 12 fl.

4. Sanibel, 11 fl.

5. Salida Del Sol, 12 fl.

6. Oceans Grand, 20 fl. (beachside/ intracoastal)

7. Ocean Vistas, 11 fl.

8. Ocean Villas, 11 fl.

9. Island Crowne, 19 fl.

10. Halifax Landing, 14 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

11. DiMucci Twin Towers North, 19 fl.

12. DiMucci Twin Towers South, 19 fl.

13. Capriana, 9 fl.

14. Malibu, 9 fl.

15. Marbella, 7 fl.

16. Palmas de Mallorca, 7 fl.

17. Seacrest, 8 fl.

18. Ocean Walk, 6 fl. (NSB)

19. Wall St. Lofts, 3 fl. (downtown)

20. Cedar Point, 2 fl. (HH mainland)

21. Atlantic Villas, 8 fl. (NSB)

Here's a list of proposed & close to breaking ground:

1. Blue, 33 fl.

2. The Grande, 42 fl., 420'

3. Milan, 22 fl.

4. Bellagio, 18 fl.

5. Towers Grande, 16 fl.

6. Tuscany Shores, 11 fl.

7. St. Kitts, 6 fl.

8. Ocean Vistas, 12 fl.

9. Ocean Villas, 11 fl.

10. Ocean Sands, 19 fl.

11. La Silvana, 19 fl.

12. Kingston Tower, 7 fl.

13. Ocean Club, 11 fl.

14. Captiva, 7 fl.

15. Beach Street Condos #1, 21 fl.

16. Beach Street Condos #2, 21 fl.

17. Marina Grande#3, 25 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

18. Marina Grande#4, 25 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

19. Boardwalk Condo #1, 20+ fl.

20. Boardwalk Condo #2, 20+ fl.

21. Villa Casablanca#1, 19 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

22. Villa Casablanca#2, 19 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

23. Madeira Towers#1, 17 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

24. Madeira Towers#2, 17 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

25. Milano, 8 fl.

26. Atlantic Villas, 8 fl. (NSB)

27. Laguna#1, 19 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

28. Laguna#2, 19 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

29. Laguna#3, 19 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

30. Mallaga, 18 fl. (mainland intracoastal)

31. Amon Tower, 31 fl. (mixed use)

neither could I, and I grew up there.

The main "catalyst" projects of note are these:

1. News-Journal Center-- complete will result in new condo/retail development. Wall St. Lofts already or almost complete.

2. Ocean Center expansion-- U/C-- will result in new hotel proposals for that district.

3. Marina Grande- I think this mainland/intracoastal development is spurning the need and excitement for all these other proposals and projects in downtown and South Daytona as well. huge impact. huge.

Yes. Downtown is on the mainland between Silver Beach Bridge and Seabreeze Bridge. Lots of potential.

Another proposal is to develop City Island which currently houses the Vo. Co. Cthse annex and library. the proposal is to build a new annex downtown and develop the island with mixed use.

The oceanside condos- I'm not impressed; i.e., its nothing new. Its the ones on the mainland which really catch my interest. Its like its an untapped resource that is finally being tapped into.

Downtown, South Daytona, and Holly Hill are seeing lots of new construction that was unheard of just a few years ago.

• 5 weeks later...

Yes. Downtown is on the mainland between Silver Beach Bridge and Seabreeze Bridge. Lots of potential.

Another proposal is to develop City Island which currently houses the Vo. Co. Cthse annex and library. the proposal is to build a new annex downtown and develop the island with mixed use.

The oceanside condos- I'm not impressed; i.e., its nothing new. Its the ones on the mainland which really catch my interest. Its like its an untapped resource that is finally being tapped into.

Downtown, South Daytona, and Holly Hill are seeing lots of new construction that was unheard of just a few years ago.

I was there a month ago and was thoroughly impressed. Daytona was much nicer than I expected and the downtown area is already developed and quite nice but has lots of potential.

Daytona gets a bad rep. from the BCR, biker, spring break, and race crowds that have peppered it for the last several decades. Beyond all that is actually a descent medium sized town with lots of development and even more potential.

When comparing it to other coastal communities around Fla, people tend to overlook Daytona's strong points while other communities seem to get the "glory," so to speak. There's a lot of $$$ in Daytona, but it is overshadowed by the spectar of the events I mentioned above.

The entire Daytona Beach metro is a huge sprawl.

Being from Orlando, I'd say that's a big case of "the pot calling the kettle black." Heck that would be the case for anyone from a FL metro. We are a state of car dependent sprawl consuming and destroying our unique environment as quickly as we can.

Being from Orlando, I'd say that's a big case of "the pot calling the kettle black." Heck that would be the case for anyone from a FL metro. We are a state of car dependent sprawl consuming and destroying our unique environment as quickly as we can.

Ditto. Maybe it's a bit less true of South Florida but that's only because the entire metro is crammed between the Atlantic and the Everglades and looking at the map it's really just a tiny strip of land.

True, but Orlando, Tampa or Miami are all sprawl but there is certain area that is concentrate of people like downtown or I drive area, while Daytona Beach is just a long stretch of suburbs on both the main land and the beach side. Hopefully the boardwalk project will take off.

True, but Orlando, Tampa or Miami are all sprawl but there is certain area that is concentrate of people like downtown or I drive area, while Daytona Beach is just a long stretch of suburbs on both the main land and the beach side. Hopefully the boardwalk project will take off.

Am I in an alternate reality, Sunshine, or are we talking about the same city? Daytona? Sprawl? unless I'm missing something:

Daytona's beachside has alsways been dense with development from DB Shores to Ormond By The Sea up to the Flagler County Line-- for the last 30 years. THese neighborhoods are old.

THe mainland has seen almost no development west of I-95 in Daytona except for LPGA-- Ormond and Port ORange are the exception-- except that Ormond develops land in its city limits, and Port Orange's only non- city limit development is the Spruce Creek Fly-In area, which has been there for over 30 years.

Holly Hill and South Daytona have maintained the same build-out density of population for the last 30 years as well off of US 1. The beachside has also maintained the same density since the late sixties.

It is West Volusia which has sprawled, due to the Orlando effect.

Daytona is a real city, albeit small, as are its suburbs-- Port Orange is the newest "city" to the area. NSB and Edgewater is a different story, as NSB is seeing alot of new development west of I-95. If anything, Daytona proper has suffered from population stagnation for the past 20 years.

I grew up in DB-- and from your statements comparing DB to Miami, ORL, and Tampa, it doesn't seem like you've ever been to DB-- or at least looked around with any detail to see that DB has had central density for over 40 years like those other cities you mentioned-- maybe over 60 years-- even on the beachside-- alot of the houses in the central area on the beachside are over 60 years old-- and on the mainland, South Daytona, Holly Hill, and DB are very old downtown along US 1 up to Nova road, about 3 miles inland.

didn't realize it, but Bethune Cookman's PAC seats 2,600. THis plus the News-Journal Center, Peabody Auditorium, Daytona Playhouse, and the Ocean Center CC, give DB a really good inventory of theatre and concert halls that stacks up well against other similar-sized communities.

• 3 months later...

Sheesh! Ocean Waters must work at tectonic pace. A blurb in this month's Florida Trend has them 'expecting to start pre-selling BLU in the Spring of 2007'.

I'd have expected it to be u/c by now. :(

remember Dale, this is Daytona we're talking about. Although, to be fair, Marina Grande 1 & 2 are 2/3 complete at the moment, which impresses the hec out of me.

Archived