New Tallest for Daytona

FLClarkKent

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, just got back from spending a couple of days in Daytona and here's what I can report:

GOOD NEWS: Bulldozers are moving in on the Boardwalk and demolition seems near. Daytona Beach shores is booming, Marina Grande I is topped out and Marina Grande II nearly so. Also, in South Daytona, the 14-story Halifax Landing is going up fast.

BAD NEWS: Every cleared construction site in Daytona Beach - the entire stretch - has the appearance of being abandoned. I talked to someone in business developement at the chamber and he told me that it's not so much that they've been abandoned but delayed due to a glut (there are a handful of towers finishing up), and he thinks some will resume within 18 months. I asked him if BLU was on track and he shook his head 'no'. Meanwhile, much of the stretch, with all the cleared sites, reminds me of East Berlin - dreary. Although the north end of the beach looks nice.

Okay, just got back from spending a couple of days in Daytona and here's what I can report:

GOOD NEWS: Bulldozers are moving in on the Boardwalk and demolition seems near. Daytona Beach shores is booming, Marina Grande I is topped out and Marina Grande II nearly so. Also, in South Daytona, the 14-story Halifax Landing is going up fast.

BAD NEWS: Every cleared construction site in Daytona Beach - the entire stretch - has the appearance of being abandoned. I talked to someone in business developement at the chamber and he told me that it's not so much that they've been abandoned but delayed due to a glut (there are a handful of towers finishing up), and he thinks some will resume within 18 months. I asked him if BLU was on track and he shook his head 'no'. Meanwhile, much of the stretch, with all the cleared sites, reminds me of East Berlin - dreary. Although the north end of the beach looks nice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is an update to the Beach Street Condos:

Well, went to Daytona Beach and looked at Marina Grande area - just two of the originally proposed four towers are up...I doubt there will be four.

Also went by the site of Beach Street Condos - nothing there but a small construction company sign. No mention of a new condo. I suspect there will be no info on the build until they finish Marina Grande.

I contacted Swerdlow Group who forwarded my email to US Condo Exchange, their sales arm. I am awaiting a reply...got a reply!

"The Sales Director said it would be mid to end of January for any new information. They are awaiting some type of approval on the changes they have made. Please check back toward the end of the month. If I hear anything sooner, I will let you know."

Anybody else following this?

I heard that Boca Developers (Marina Grande) made some announcement within the last 3 weeks about having to finish the first 2 towers so that they could begin the second pair construction--- who knows.

Beach St. Condos-- I heard also that they are being developed by the Marina Grande people.

OTHER NEWS:

Halifax Landing-- South Daytona off of US 1-- U/C on 2nd or 3rd floor; should be 12-14 floors.

DiMucci-- they've got like 3-5 towers U/C right now; twin 18 story towers are topped off in DB SHores and a another couple U/C near the Wilbur side of DB SHores.

Ocean Center-- expansion is moving forward.

Ocean Walk- bought by Wyndham (unless Wyndham owns Fairfield Resorts already and just changed the name).

Old Holiday Inn next to Ocean Walk-- Sunterra bought it-- good move; big timeshare company.

OVERALL-- there's upwards of 20 condo projects U/C throughout DB metro; that's pretty impressive. no photos-yet. sorry.

But again, last I checked, every highrise project in Daytona Beach (not DB Shores) has been stalled or cancelled, except possibly the Boardwalk development. I counted no less than 10 construction sites seemingly abandoned a couple of months ago.

• 2 weeks later...

I was born in DB. Like to retire there or maybe Vierra in a few years.

I received an update from Nikki Smith:

Hello Jim,

I just spoke with the sales team from the Beach Street project. They are completely reworking the number of units allowed and floorplans, size, etc. They are easily a year away from taking any reservations.

If you would like to pursue any units available in Marina Grande Halifax, it is developed by the same company as Beach Street. Just let me know.

...So it will be a while and that's good with me. I'll be in a better position to buy one then.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived