IN PROGRESS: American Locomotive Works (ALCO)

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That map is incredibly helpful since I sometimes can't visualize exactly where some of the projects are taking place. Can we post that map somewhere on one of the "main" pages to use for reference to all the projects??? Could it be updated to include the projects on Atwells/The Hill and the Sierra Suites and such (hope I'm not asking for too much!)? Thx...

That map is incredibly helpful since I sometimes can't visualize exactly where some of the projects are taking place. Can we post that map somewhere on one of the "main" pages to use for reference to all the projects??? Could it be updated to include the projects on Atwells/The Hill and the Sierra Suites and such (hope I'm not asking for too much!)? Thx...

There's a Google Map accessible from the UP Homepage that highlights most of the city's developement.

Go here and choose Providence from the drop down menu.

This map too is in need of some updates.

What else can anyone say except this is all extremely exciting and such a natural idea that it just has to happen. A new neighborhood indeed! And talk about a rebuttal to the idea that the Historic Tax Credit doesn't pay for itself? Hello!?!? That's going to be a LOT of commerical space, though. The article said more than G-Tech and the AmEx building combined!

The completion date of 2008 sounds enormously ambitious, though. Will such other key projects as OTW, their own South Power Station project, and the Masonic Hotel even be done by then?

All in all, tremendously exciting stuff!

- Garris

PS: Channel 10 news seemed to have lots more renders they showed as well. All tremendous looking!

That's going to be a LOT of commerical space, though. The article said more than G-Tech and the AmEx building combined!

Yes, somewhat scary, what will that mean for new office development downtown?

The completion date of 2008 sounds enormously ambitious, though.

It does sound ambitious, but there are several phases I believe, so the entire 'new neighborhood' won't be done in '08 I'm sure.

Atlanta just completed a large scale mixed use development where they turned an old rail yard into a condo/retail/office development and they really did a spectacular job. That seems to be the growing treend here in Atlanta and elsewhere.

Check out the Atlanta Project called "Atlantic Station" here

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=17213

What else can anyone say except this is all extremely exciting and such a natural idea that it just has to happen. A new neighborhood indeed! And talk about a rebuttal to the idea that the Historic Tax Credit doesn't pay for itself? Hello!?!? That's going to be a LOT of commerical space, though. The article said more than G-Tech and the AmEx building combined!

What a perfect spot for Brooks or Fidelity to put their headquarters...oh never mind.

Other than the sarcastic comment, I hope that this kind of project fuels more corporations looking at coming to Providence even if it isn't to build shiny new towers (which of course I would also like)

Atlanta Station looks great. I'd love to see ALCO have a similar mix and be similarly urban. I do hope that its retail doesn't have a strip mall feel and somehow feels more "city."

- Garris

I can see a Barnes and Noble and/ or Borders with come coffee and sanwich shops, maybe even a Best Buy would all be good there.

If they can make a nice river walk/bike path connecting the city that would really help it take off. Extend retial and Waterfire westward.... Get the whole San Antonio thing going!

Atlanta Station looks great. I'd love to see ALCO have a similar mix and be similarly urban. I do hope that its retail doesn't have a strip mall feel and somehow feels more "city."

- Garris

Knowing SBER's approach to development, I think the feel will definitely be urban. Have you seen any of their stuff in Baltimore?

Here's some photos I took in April '04 of the area:

Image-B457F23C918D11D8.jpg

Image-B45811E3918D11D8.jpg

I was sitting on a park bench when I took this one, nice view huh? Sound be improving soon.

Image-B45890D3918D11D8.jpg

I wonder if anyone besides me has ever sat on these benches?

Image-B458BB9C918D11D8.jpg

Image-B458A7FB918D11D8.jpg

This would have been a much more impressive shot had I had a camera with a zoom at the time.

Image-B458CFA6918D11D8.jpg

Image-B458F498918D11D8.jpg

Image-B4590703918D11D8.jpg

Image-B45931AF918D11D8.jpg

Image-B45945F5918D11D8.jpg

Image-B4596B78918D11D8.jpg

It'd be cool if they could find this artist and have them do some work at the new site.

Image-B4597D98918D11D8.jpg

Image-B459930B918D11D8.jpg

I'm not sure if this will be developed as part of this project or not.

Image-B459B46C918D11D8.jpg

Will the redevelopment reach Dean Street? I hope so. Look closely, you can see an Acela train in this shot.

Image-B459F29A918D11D8.jpg

Rep. Costantino, one of the main opponents of the historic tax credit, addressed this very issue, saying that the tax credit is meant for "projects just like this." I guess referring to the commercial aspect.

I wonder if this means he might be softening his stance a little bit...

I was at the groundbreaking...its gonna be HUGE.

The RI Economic Development Corporation is the first tenant, with the lease actually signed at the podium by Bill Streuver and Gov. Carcieri. $20 a sf. Nice stunt...

The RI Economic Development Corporation is the first tenant, with the lease actually signed at the podium by Bill Streuver and Gov. Carcieri. $20 a sf. Nice stunt...

Indeed, nice stunt.

On a couple of occasions, Costantino has referred to the fact that the Hope Club used the credit as a way (I think) of cynically trying to portray it as elitist and unnecessary. This is obviously b.s. GrowSmartRI did a study that showed that the overwhelming majority of projects were in census tracts where the median income level was below the statewide figure.

I think that the ALCO project will make it harder for politicians to raise objections to the program. The project is such a massive and needed investment in a rundown stretch of the city that politicians are going to be reluctant to oppose the credit and get in the way of progress.

Rep. Costantino, one of the main opponents of the historic tax credit, addressed this very issue, saying that the tax credit is meant for "projects just like this." I guess referring to the commercial aspect.

I wonder if this means he might be softening his stance a little bit...

I was at the groundbreaking...its gonna be HUGE.

With this new office space that will apparently be larger than gtech and amex combined, how much will that affect downtown Providence as far as getting a new office tower? I know we had some hinting of one in the past year to expect and announcement this year.

Archived