UNC Charlotte Campus Master Plan

jb4563

http://facilities.uncc.edu/Master/

Looking at the picture on the main page (highway 49 is at bottom):

1. New entrance at bottom is out for design/build bid

2. Little lake off to left is supposedly to be consructed from daming of creek

3. Tiny buildings right above that lake are the new building under construction of Hey 29

4. Supposedly the large residence halls near hwy 49 will be demolished around 2010

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And there's my alma mater...at the edge of the universe.

The good thing about UNCC is that when you're on your way into the City, you can stop at the Duty Free Store and get cheap cigarettes and liquor.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There are several reasons it was put out there:

1. Land was cheap

2. The founders of the University knew the University would expand...and that area allowed that. Smart move. Campuses like NCSU and UNC-CH are essentially landlocked.

3. Before the state legislature would allow Charlotte College to become part of the UNC system, they wanted it to not look like it would serve SC or that it was just serving Charlotte.

Putting it farther NE of uptown accomplished both...its a bit closer to Cabarrus, Rowan, Iredell Counties and its farther away from SC.

3.  Before the state legislature would allow Charlotte College to become part of the UNC system, they wanted it to not look like it would serve SC or that it was just serving Charlotte.

Putting it farther NE of uptown accomplished both...its a bit closer to Cabarrus, Rowan, Iredell Counties and its farther away from SC.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who cares, Rock Hill has Winthrop anyway....go Eagles!!! :P

There are several reasons it was put out there:

1.  Land was cheap

2.  The founders of the University knew the University would expand...and that area allowed that.  Smart move.  Campuses like NCSU and UNC-CH are essentially landlocked.

3.  Before the state legislature would allow Charlotte College to become part of the UNC system, they wanted it to not look like it would serve SC or that it was just serving Charlotte.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm well aware of its history. Still doesn't change the fact it's in the middle of nowhere and has no connection with anything around it. Might as well put a moat around it and call it Camelot.

I knew I lived in the middle of nowhere when I lived off of Mallard Creek Church Rd., and my friends used to ask if I wanted to "come down to Charlotte" to hang out.

It needs an urban infrastructure surrounding it.....this is why you have the problems like are being mentioned in Uptown Riff Raff.....many college students prefer to live downtown, because UC is isolated from any sort of vibrant urban life.

To get on topic though, the future of UNCC should be two things.

#1 To become a research intensive university. That will attract top graduate students and professors, as well as attract more money and private businesses to the school.

#2 It needs to become an active planner in the UC area. The way development patterns are occuring, are not sustainable, and will eventually cause the university to be surrounded be low-income neighborhoods. The need to encourage good urban design in the area, and contribute by implementing an attractive, and pedestrian friendly streetscape around the campus. Additionally, some of the surplus land should be sold to developers who will add housing and retail on the school property and within walking distance to the future LRT.

I knew I lived in the middle of nowhere when I lived off of Mallard Creek Church Rd., and my friends used to ask if I wanted to "come down to Charlotte" to hang out.

It needs an urban infrastructure surrounding it.....this is why you have the problems like are being mentioned in Uptown Riff Raff.....many college students prefer to live downtown, because UC is isolated from any sort of vibrant urban life.

To get on topic though, the future of UNCC should be two things.

Atlrvr,

Curious as to why you think the area will be surrounded by low- income neighborhoods.  Are you talking about the rash of new subdevelopments in the area and what the will look like 15-20 years from now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that because the housing in the area is so homogenous (and not in an overly attractive way), and because HOA's tend to prefer homogenity, that the area will suffer in about 10-20 years as the original houses began to age, and their is little incentive to maintain them, especially since people who chose suburban life will have little problem driving a few more miles to live in a brand new suburban community.

The lack of investment in the community will stagnate prices, and possibly cause a depreciation, over time, these houses then become very affordable to lower-income people......as soon as dam cracks, it bursts.......look at east Charlotte as the proto-type for the rest of Charlotte suburban development to the north and southwest.

Middle of nowhere is a little extreme considering that if University City was its own muncipality, it would be larger than Durham or Winston-Salem

Just because you don't like the suburbs...doesn't make it the "middle of nowhere"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not true, I live in a suburban neighborhood called Sedgefield (between Park Rd and South Blvd).

UNCC is not connected to anything around it. A student would risk his or her life trying to walk from campus to University Place. The intersection of Tryon and Harris is nightmare. To be a student there, a car is virtually mandatory. Bus service exists, but hours are limited, and the last time I checked, there was only one place to catch it (behind the College of Architecture).

I am not trashing the quality of education the University provides (I did go there, afterall), but I am indeed trashing the lack of planning between UNCC and the City of Charlotte. It's a university seemingly dropped into a sea of strip shopping centers and surrounded on all sides by four and six lane arterial roadways. Add to that the current administration's obsession with red-bricking the entire campus, and you've got yourself an unpleasant and unattractive conglomeration, sometimes referred to as a cluster-f*ck.

I think UNCC feels like the middle of nowhere, especially if you enjoy Charlotte's core. I certainly hope that they do more to make the campus liveable. Most people at UNCC commute, and why wouldn't they? there's really very little advantage to living on campus if you have to drive to get anywhere.

eh, technically the percentages of students that live on campus is not more then 1-2% lower then say NC State and UNC-CH.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

According to the Princeton Review, 27% live on campus at UNCC, 33% at NCState, and 43% at UNC-CH. In addition, there are plenty of off-campus apartments at State and Carolina where you can walk to campus, there are maybe 5 for UNCC. At Carolina you can't even apply for a parking pass on campus if you live within 2 miles of campus.

i went to UNCC and always found it amazing that the school offers degrees in planning and has many planners on staff, yet they have no actual impact on the direction and style of growth the school embarks on.

The saddest part is that UNCC officials have a bad taste in their mouths from modern architecture, so now everything is brick and precast stone. no interesting buildings are going to be built there anymore, which is sad.

my idea was always to take the street that flows past the track stadium and to the new research campus...take that and line it with a new main street full of shops and restaurants and connect it to university place.

I agree with many of the things said about the architecture at UNCC. The recladding of the Library was one of the ugliest transformations that I have ever seen done to a building. It was a sad and disturbing tragedy that unfortunately shows the regard that administrators have for existing architecture.

Archived