UNC Charlotte Campus Master Plan

jb4563

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was up at school Saturday night and saw the new entrance in all its glory. Lights were turned on in all the columns, with the tallest one's interior light (directly above the "University of North Carolina at Charlotte" sign ) changing colors in a aethereal kind of way. Although I would have rather had the money spent on rehabbing some of the derelict interiors of our classroom buildings, I have to admit the new entrance is far better than the old and far better than I had imagined it would be.

• 1 month later...

I noticed this week they got new HD screens all over the SAC, running things such as CNN, Fox News, ESPN, and a new event calendar instead of just a stupid MTV station, and I also heard they replaced the floor on the basketball court. :)

• 3 months later...

The EPIC (energy research center) at UNCC has been recommended by Easley to be fast-tracked as part of the state stimulus investment program. I don't recall if this is to be financed with state funds, or is part of the federal stimulus funds for state projects. None the less, it could begin within a year or so. I believe it is the most expensive educational facility to date at UNCC.

• 3 months later...

In a somewhat quiet fashion, the university has been working, in conjunction with Ayers Saint Gross on a new campus masterplan. April 16th was a Board of Trustees presentation of the plan so far.

http://masterplan.uncc.edu/sites/default/f...BOT%20Final.pdf

Over the Summer, the firm will tweak the plan for the final presentation in September.

I do like the design for the surrounding areas. The corner of John Kirk and U.City Blvd. is a great place to add some density. I love what is being called for for the Tryon St. side, but the Mallard Creek Church Rd. design is a little weird. It just seems to be plopped down in order to create dense development that is pedestrian friendly. Maybe someone with more knowledge can shed some light on this and other details about the masterplan.

So I know it's just a plan. But WOW. Lining UCBlvd with retail at the front of campus to hide the east parking decks. Buying land across Tryon from the dying retail developments and incorporating them with the campus is a plan I doubt will come to fruition, but that's fine. At least they're thinking big. I feel putting the rec fields in their proposed spot is a missed opportunity for some campus retail, but at least they are incorporating retail into three other areas on the perimeter of campus is a nice addition to the plan. I am, however, a little disappointed that they abandoned the idea of letting a lake build up on campus by damming part of Mallard Creek. Hell, there might as well be a lake on campus whenever there is a hard rain anyway.

On a seperate note, i was walking my dog on campus with my friend that still goes there and noticed they are replacing the lights at Tryon and CRI's main entrance with post lights (whatever the ones without cable-suspended lights are called.)

This plan goes along with the cleaning up University City thread as well as it could bring many major changes to the area IF fully incorporated.

I read a thing in the school paper that an idea they have is to instead of destroying the high rises they would overhaul them a whole bunch and turn the outside of them to brick like what they did with the library tower.

Oh man I hope they don't brick them up. I love their styling. I actually like driving around UCity and seeing those high rises. They are some of the few reminders for me that a college is in the area.

• 5 months later...

As I also posted in the football thread, the newest version of the Master Plan presented to the Board of Trustees on Sept 17th is now available for viewing.

Interesting changes to note:

-Large bridge connecting stadium/CRI to the main campus via a new science building where the old track was.(highlighted on p.15) This will especially be helpful when the Toby Creek floodplain, well, floods.

-There are plans to build new "professional schools" as well as a daycare and a K-8 school on the main campus. (p.53)

-ANOTHER expansion to Atkins Library.

-The removal of the Denny/Garinger/Barnard cluster of buildings to be replaced by modern buildings (p.12) that will leave an open site-line from Cato to Cone (p.38)

-And the focus on retaining quads, and focusing on improving upon and building a network of streets, courtyards, and quadrangles in a "Fa

I am all for restricting access along Craver Rd., but why does that only extend from the Union to Cameron? According to page 34 of the 9/17 presentation, the parking lot for Elm, Pine, and Maple is restricted as well, so why is there no consistency? Also, emergency vehicles can travel along the brick, so why not say, brick the road instead of asphalt. That way the Union can be connected, in terms of greenery, like an actual quad rather than crosswalk to the new quad that the school spent so much money on.

Archived