UNC Charlotte Campus Master Plan

jb4563

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply
U Mass Amherst has 30 story dorms that are considered "safe". Not sure exactly what you mean by that. And although the university does plan on demolishing the three high-rises, there are currently no funds available to do that. They will be around for a good long while to come.

That's alot of buildings they wanna put over there :blink:

One thing i noticed about this picture in the area in the upper left it shows a track-like looking thing next to the new driveway they added for the parking garage(i think that's what that is). Do they plan to take that extra area where the old track was and where all the trailers and stuff are and make a new walking track or is this pic before they decided to add the parking deck?

And look for some of those plans to change, drastically. The new admin is not nearly as focused on "classic" architecture as Woodward was. The new buzzword on campus is green and sustainable. Look for a renewed interest in progressive design that places sustainability first, red brick and columns second. HOORAY!!

<br />Aussie_luke - I am referring to the first intersection. I believe some form of fully-controlled intersection needs to be constructed there, such as a 4-way stop. During peek periods, it is near impossible to make a left onto van Lan from the parking lots to exit the campus, or a Left off of Van Lan into the parking lots coming down from the circle. Many times I have noticed two of the shuttles coming one after the other (no headway) as a result of having to wait for turns

You are right, though, that any attempt at further control in these areas would have to be well timed, otherwise the backup would just be shifted onto Kirk and U City. Perhaps the University should have only one entrance on to John Kirk, somewhere between where Cameron and Van Landingham currently meet Kirk. Yeah, they'd loose the parking lot, but the light could be brought further back from U City Blvd.

You could always go out of the parking lots, turn left, go through those residential parking lots and then turn right off of N. Loop Road and then go on John Kirk.

I really do think the University needs to do something more about the traffic. In the mornings it takes me about as much time to get from 485 to John Kirk as it takes for me to get from US-74 to the U-City exit! The third lane that turns right onto Pavilion Blvd. needs to extend all the way to Mallard Creek Church. Then people could turn right on Mallard Creek and left onto John Kirk and into the parking lots/decks from there.

With their aggressive plans to expand, they really need to iron out the traffic situation in the area around campus.

Unfortunately we will never see N. Tryon as a one lane road since it is NCDOT controlled and we all know the wonderful urban practices of NCDOT... CDOT is having a hard enough time reducing the lane widths for NE Corridor reconstruction.

• 3 weeks later...

I go to UGA a school with 2.5 times the number of people on campus than UNCC with a more densely populated immediate area and all of the roads in and around campus are single laned roads except for one road that actually is loosing 2 lanes. UNCC needs not to widen the surrounding roads. But at the same time, everyone here lives in and around campus unlike UNCC. They will probably never be able to overcome the fact the school has many commuters. But thats a different problem in itself.

The company that won the design bid for the intersection of Tryon and Harris was ColeJenest & Stone. The have worked on projects such as the exterior integration of the new arena, Johnson and Whales, Levine Children's Hospital, etc. However their site doesn't seem to be current - the last update was in 2004. They also have quite a few projects that didn't seem to make it off the ground like The Quarter. That project seems oddly familar :rolleyes:

Are Harris & Tryon scheduled for a grade separation?

ColeJenest & Stone's design is indeed very pretty, but it would be VERY expensive. I haven't seen a compact, urban, grade-separated traffic circle like this anywhere in the US outside of DC, and even in DC there are only perhaps 4 or 5 of them. This, coupled with the fact that they are "unusual" makes me think that what actually gets built, will look very different. Perhaps a standard diamond-type "tunnel"-style urban arterial interchange, minus the circle - there are plenty of these all over the US, though I'm not aware of any in NC.

However, given the nature of surrounding development, I have a hard time imagining this NOT being value engineered to anything other than a suburban-style diamond, trumpet, or "square loop" design. So, without some buy-in and a commitment to redevelop/urbanize from local property owners, that's all that will happen.

I go to UGA a school with 2.5 times the number of people on campus than UNCC with a more densely populated immediate area and all of the roads in and around campus are single laned roads except for one road that actually is loosing 2 lanes. UNCC needs not to widen the surrounding roads. But at the same time, everyone here lives in and around campus unlike UNCC. They will probably never be able to overcome the fact the school has many commuters. But thats a different problem in itself.

• 2 weeks later...

The groundbreaking for the new student union was last Wednesday. They included more information as to what the SU will include. It will be UNCC's largest and most expensive building to date. Funding will be completely taken from donations and student fees.

"It will be 196,000 square feet and will include a ballroom for 600 people, in addition to a 210-seat movie theater, a Starbucks, Wendy's, Zia Juice, Einstein Bagels and a full-scale Italian restaurant. The university bookstore also plans to move to the new facility, and four additional retail spaces remain." (Charlotte Observer)

I'm a little surprised at the full scale restaurant, although that is something campus has needed for awhile, an actual restaurant to keep students on campus at night (at least for dinner.)

An interesting point I found from CO's article was that the current student union, Cone Center, was built to accommodate 7,000 students. This new student union is being built for the 2020 projected 35,000 students. Maybe I'll be able to enjoy this building if I stick around to get my masters as it won't be completed until 2009.

I believe they stated that they wanted to move the center of campus towards the newer dorms, aka Witherspoon, Cypress, and Squires, thus choosing the parking lot across from COED and CHHS as the location of the new SU. Personally I like that idea as most students live in that general direction. Thankfully I am only a freshman at UNCC, so I have the opportunity to see it rise and use it when I am a Junior and Senior.

I believe they stated that they wanted to move the center of campus towards the newer dorms, aka Witherspoon, Cypress, and Squires, thus choosing the parking lot across from COED and CHHS as the location of the new SU. Personally I like that idea as most students live in that general direction. Thankfully I am only a freshman at UNCC, so I have the opportunity to see it rise and use it when I am a Junior and Senior.

Archived