Knoxville

Looking over the threads here, I get the impression that there is nothing going on in Knoxville, development-wise. Is that accurate, or is this forum just thin on Knoxville types?

I'm seriously considering Tennessee for law school, and don't really want to give up my nice downtown condo in Tampa for a scummy apartment complex on the edge of the city. Do I stand a chance? Is there any reasonable housing in downtown Knoxville? Is there anything going on in downtown at all?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking over the threads here, I get the impression that there is nothing going on in Knoxville, development-wise.  Is that accurate, or is this forum just thin on Knoxville types?

I'm seriously considering Tennessee for law school, and don't really want to give up my nice downtown condo in Tampa for a scummy apartment complex on the edge of the city.  Do I stand a chance?  Is there any reasonable housing in downtown Knoxville?  Is there anything going on in downtown at all?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes!! There is a lot going on here. I moved to Knoxville from Oxfordshire, UK (40 miles west of London) in 1999. Knoxville

Glad to hear there's something going on. I've been to Knoxville before a few times, back in undergrad with the crew team; SIRAs were usually in Oak Ridge. I remember the city as being a nice place, but it's been ages since I've been there.

I'll probably be visiting UT Law sometime this October, so I'll get to see the town for myself again then. The prices on the Sterchi Lofts there look pretty reasonable. Is downton bicycle-friendly?

'Happy'

I just moved to Nashville from Knoxville and still travel back quite often. When you are in town make time to visit a new martini bar on Gay Street called Sapphire. It is modeled on contemporary locations in LA and DC.

Glad to hear there's something going on.  I've been to Knoxville before a few times, back in undergrad with the crew team; SIRAs were usually in Oak Ridge.  I remember the city as being a nice place, but it's been ages since I've been there.

I'll probably be visiting UT Law sometime this October, so I'll get to see the town for myself again then.  The prices on the Sterchi Lofts there look pretty reasonable.  Is downton bicycle-friendly?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Knoxville is very hilly. It does have a number of bike paths that are usable, but to get around many parts of town you have to be able climb some rather sizable hills. The World's Fair Park, for instance, is in a valley formed by a creek and there is a steep climb out to either downtown or the UT area. Old Town is also in a valley and you would have to clinb a hill to get out. Downtown itself is old and has narrow streets. Overall, I would not consider it bike friendly. I did have one when I was student there and used it to get around campus and to go to various parks, though.

here are some pics i took when i was in knoxville last weekend. sorry if they aren't from the best angles, but this was while we were driving downtown on the way to somewhere.

July242005009.jpg

July242005019.jpg

and the only place you really need to know and love in knoxville....

July242005031.jpg

• 6 months later...

Here is a photo of downtown Knoxville (facing south) taken in the summer of 2004 if I recall. This was taken from the freeway, so sorry for the sign right in the middle. I had some better ones somewhere, taken from the east side of the city, facing west, but I cannot locate them.

I took this one on our way back to Bristol, from my dads old hometown of Maryville (south-southwest of Knoxville).

DowntownKnoxville.jpg

Really like the first pic. I think only when you actuall get into Knoxville at street level do you actually discover how dense and urban it actuall is.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Developers seem to be focusing there attention on Memphis, Nashville and Chattanooga; but not Knoxville.

Having lived in Knoxville, I found that city to be extremely depressing to live in. A couple of years ago, I returned to visit some friends but found little improvement in the City. However, towards Farragut and Concord have been improved.

Developers seem to be focusing there attention on Memphis, Nashville and Chattanooga; but not Knoxville.

Having lived in Knoxville, I found that city to be extremely depressing to live in. A couple of years ago, I returned to visit some friends but found little improvement in the City. However, towards Farragut and Concord have been improved.

I think Knoxville would do well to follow the example set by Chattanooga to jump start development of their downtown area and riverfront. There is simply tremendous potential in Knoxville. Chattanooga set up the River City Company, to oversee development of their downtown. It has worked like a charm, and development contines to accelerate. Soon there will be more than 1000 new residential units developed in downtown Chattanooga. Check out this link to The River City Company to find out more. There's absolutely no reason why any city can't do the same.

The River City Company

I think Knoxville would do well to follow the example set by Chattanooga to jump start development of their downtown area and riverfront. There is simply tremendous potential in Knoxville. Chattanooga set up the River City Company, to oversee development of their downtown. It has worked like a charm, and development contines to accelerate. Soon there will be more than 1000 new residential units developed in downtown Chattanooga. Check out this link to The River City Company to find out more. There's absolutely no reason why any city can't do the same.

The River City Company

From what I've observed visiting the inlaws in Knoxville, is that they come up with grandious plans, but they can never decide on one and they never do any. With the exception of the Women's Rowing facility for UT and the River walk.

However, I've heard that a new development is proposed for the riverfront across from downtown. I think its condo's but I don't have any details.

Here are a few condo projects I found.

Central Station Lofts: $20 million project at 350 Gay St. 7 stories and 70 upscale condos.

River Towne Condos: south side of riverfront 50 units with balconies overlooking river, private maringa, and swimming pool

Here is a link for an article on downtown housing in Knoxville http://www.metropulse.com/articles/2006/16...ommentary.shtml

It basically states that its expensive and keeps going up.

Yes there is indeed a lot of potential in Knoxville. The infrastructure is there to support more development. Back when I was in Knoxville, I had found the city government too conservative with developers. When I moved to Knoxville back in 1987, the city was already discussing Downtown revitalization. The City started with infrastructure improvements. One such project was the Downtown to I-275 Connector. When the project was about 70% done, construction had stopped around 1988. In 1992, it was completed. Ok, so that created an easy access into Downtown what did that do?

I had moved out of Knoxville in 1992. Sorry to say, but at that time I was extremely happy to leave. I really could not stand that place. When I visited in 2004, I went straight to Downtown to see if anything more had been done. The Convention Center was expanded, Gay Street was "improved", the NCAA Women's Hall of Fame was built and the areas west of the SunSphere were redone with new residential buildings... and that was it. I say that was it due to the fact that nothing was really done to draw people into Downtown Knoxville. I maybe wrong, but when I was in Downtown one weekend during my visit, it was sadly dead, yet the population of the city has been slowly increasing.

What is Knoxville doing to draw people Downtown? What are the city government's priorities. (For the record I am NOT pissing on Knoxville. It just strikes me that the other three major cities in Tennessee are doing many things Downwtown, except for what I saw in Knoxville back in 2004.)

Yes there is indeed a lot of potential in Knoxville. The infrastructure is there to support more development. Back when I was in Knoxville, I had found the city government too conservative with developers. When I moved to Knoxville back in 1987, the city was already discussing Downtown revitalization. The City started with infrastructure improvements. One such project was the Downtown to I-275 Connector. When the project was about 70% done, construction had stopped around 1988. In 1992, it was completed. Ok, so that created an easy access into Downtown what did that do?

I had moved out of Knoxville in 1992. Sorry to say, but at that time I was extremely happy to leave. I really could not stand that place. When I visited in 2004, I went straight to Downtown to see if anything more had been done. The Convention Center was expanded, Gay Street was "improved", the NCAA Women's Hall of Fame was built and the areas west of the SunSphere were redone with new residential buildings... and that was it. I say that was it due to the fact that nothing was really done to draw people into Downtown Knoxville. I maybe wrong, but when I was in Downtown one weekend during my visit, it was sadly dead, yet the population of the city has been slowly increasing.

What is Knoxville doing to draw people Downtown? What are the city government's priorities. (For the record I am NOT pissing on Knoxville. It just strikes me that the other three major cities in Tennessee are doing many things Downwtown, except for what I saw in Knoxville back in 2004.)

Nothin.

The Knoxville Sunsphere may be reopened.

I saw an article today in the Chattanooga TimesFreepress, Knoxville News Sentinel.

It looks like Kinsey Probasco Hayes is trying to get a lease on the Sunsphere to remodle/reopend it. They want to spend 1 mil to get it open, and add food and beverage later.

Kinsey is responsible for a lot of Chattanooga's Downtown projects. He was involved in the RiverPier Landing Condos, Chattanooga Choo Choo, The Bijou Theatre, Riverset - Memphis, Riverset - Chattanooga, Big River Breweries, River Place,The Chattanooga Times Building.

Maybe some of the Chattanooga's developers can help Knoxville out. I know Kinsey, wants to build a theater/parking garage development in Knoxville, and they are doing the Market Square rennovation.

The Knoxville Sunsphere may be reopened.

I saw an article today in the Chattanooga TimesFreepress, Knoxville News Sentinel.

It looks like Kinsey Probasco Hayes is trying to get a lease on the Sunsphere to remodle/reopend it. They want to spend 1 mil to get it open, and add food and beverage later.

Kinsey is responsible for a lot of Chattanooga's Downtown projects. He was involved in the RiverPier Landing Condos, Chattanooga Choo Choo, The Bijou Theatre, Riverset - Memphis, Riverset - Chattanooga, Big River Breweries, River Place,The Chattanooga Times Building.

Maybe some of the Chattanooga's developers can help Knoxville out. I know Kinsey, wants to build a theater/parking garage development in Knoxville, and they are doing the Market Square rennovation.

This is great news. I really hope they are able to get the sunsphere reopened. I remember going to the World's fair in Knoxville in 1982, and the sunsphere has been a Knoxville icon ever since. Maybe this can help kickstart some good downtown development in Ktown.

Alright, here are the pictures of the downtown area from I-40 in the old part of the interstate slated to be shut down, ripped out and replaced soon. Traffic back ups and cameras equal pictures from a unique perspective taken sitting still not strolling through at 60 mph...

PICT1000.jpg

PICT0991.jpg

PICT0992.jpg

PICT0993.jpg

PICT0994.jpg

PICT0995.jpg

PICT0996.jpg

PICT0997.jpg

PICT0998.jpg

PICT0999.jpg

PICT1000.jpg

PICT1001.jpg

I just moved to Nashville form Farragut last year but I consider Knoxville a 'second home' so I thought I would add some positives.

The downtown is booming with condo project anfter condo project being announced and built. The demand is high as businesses start to fill up the renovated building stock. Construction is underway for the Regal movie theatre and a MAST General Store should be open as I write this post. The new CC is s boon to the UT/D'town corridor and the economic engine that is UT keeps growing.

The River Front on the South Shore is in plan with a 10-15 year vision to transform the area.

Turkey Creek in West Knoxville has exploded with retail/hotel offerings and several new office buildings. The tallest new building proposed in Knoxville is slated for this area.

Archived