Knoxville

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks too for the Knoxville pics Habanero! I hope we can get more from Knoxville, especially street level ones in the future.

Thanks also to Nashville Bound for the Knoxville update. I know there'a quite a bit happening up there, but I don't get much detailed info abuot the developments.

• 2 months later...

I'm up here at the in-laws and I saw in today's newspaper that Knoxville is getting another mixed-use project downtown. Seven story Volunteer Place.

While you are there do all the diggin you can. See about that tower that was going up around Turkey Creek as well, plus anything else that might be in the works. Thanks for checking on stuff. I will be in Dollywood tomorrow with a camera, so I will have my eyes peeled for things on that side of Ktown.

Couldn't tell if Fountains is started yet. I saw a lot of dirt turned around that area of town though. Turkey Creek has an office building and crane, but that one looks to be less than 6 stories. The Fountains project is supposed to be on the other side of I-75/40. Knoxville is booming. Houses are sprouting up in all areas of the county. My father in law tells me that the county has more than 400k residents now. It's on track to hit more than 440 by the end of the decade. He ought to know.

• 7 months later...

Thanks for this... don't know how I missed it. My wife is a native of Knoxville, and I get up there a lot. In the eleven years we've been married, I have seen the city grow wildly. It is a very popular place for young familes, and now, for retirees. Of all cities in TN (and maybe the South), I think Knoxville has the most potential to be the top place to live for just about all demographic groups (great university and related activities, beautiful setting and Smokies, perfect climate, leading healthcare facilities, outstanding restaurants, and a wealthy, educated population). It's still a well-kept secret, but that's going to change soon.

• 8 months later...

With my family tie to knoxville (i.e. my wife), I'll keep you guys posted. I still can't believe there's not a K-town forumer here. Anyway, here's another new downtown proposal. This one is in response to the city's search for a new hotel to supplement the Holiday Inn, in tandem, to be the convention center hotel. This would replace a 1950s box that served as the regions district courts building until they moved to a nearby building several years ago.

Here is the hotel/condo/office proposal...

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jan/22/7...-retail-condos/

Unrelated, there is a lot of very good, high-quality infill going up around the core of Knoxville. Of course, Turkey Creek continues to be the beast that eats everything around it, but the riverfront plan is underway downtown and it's very promising. I know for a fact that Knoxville's civic leaders look to Chattanooga with more than a little envy.

Archived