Any soccer fans?

Ruso

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ur welcome, am trying to explore a bit too.  :D Do you play for your university?:ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No I'm not at the university anymore. We also don't have a soccer team here. I don't know if you know much about college sports here in the US, but the conference we are in doesn't even support any soccer. And yes I now have a new area to explore, hopefully I'll see you over in that forum too. :D

No I'm not at the university anymore.  We also don't have a soccer team here.  I don't know if you know much about college sports here in the US, but the conference we are in doesn't even support any soccer.  And yes I now have a new area to explore, hopefully I'll see you over in that forum too.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I hope that too. :) It is a real shame that they do not support the promotion of soccer. Personally, I think it is the greatest of all sports. Of course, this is just my opinion, but there is a reason for it to be so popular. You can play anywhere, with anything. If u got a plastic bottle, and 6 people, you could create a way to play and enjoy soccer with thatl. It is because of its simplicity, that I love it so much. It is simple, but at the same time, complicated, and extremely interesting. You can create tactics, predictions, analisis, or just play and enjoy.

Lol, you have no idea, here every single institution has its soccer team. It is funny, because very few people are interested in different sports, such as tennis, baseball, basketball, which are awesome also. That isolation from other sports is not very cool either. :ph34r:

Yeah, I hope that too.  :) It is a real shame that they do not support the promotion of soccer. Personally, I think it is the greatest of all sports. Of course, this is just my opinion, but there is a reason for it to be so popular. You can play anywhere, with anything. If u got a plastic bottle, and 6 people, you could create a way to play and enjoy soccer with thatl. It is because of its simplicity, that I love it so much. It is simple, but at the same time, complicated, and extremely interesting. You can create tactics, predictions, analisis, or just play and enjoy.

Lol, you have no idea, here every single institution has its soccer team. It is funny, because very few people are interested in different sports, such as tennis, baseball, basketball, which are awesome also. That isolation from other sports is not very cool either.  :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course I do appreciate the sport, but many Americans don't. But there are quite a few other sports here also. The three biggest being American football, basketball and baseball. And of course there are others too.

Since I had mentioned something about it before. What would you think of an MLS team being able to play in the Copa Libertadores? I think they would obviously have a harder time of it than say the Mexican teams because we have a much different culture but I think it would be interesting. That is of course if the MLS teams are good enough to actually compete against Latin American teams.

Since I had mentioned something about it before.  What would you think of an MLS team being able to play in the Copa Libertadores?  I think they would obviously have a harder time of it than say the Mexican teams because we have a much different culture but I think it would be interesting.  That is of course if the MLS teams are good enough to actually compete against Latin American teams.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think it woud be great. I assure you, that you would quickly catch up with the rest. Some of the MLS teams are even better than many latin american teams

. :ph34r:

I just recently saw an article talking about LDU beating Barcelona for the Ecuadorean Championship. It also notced that Ecuador have now switched now having two championships each season as some other Latin American countries already do. What do you think of having an aputera and a clausura? This articles also said that Barcelona claims to be the most popular team in Ecuador. Would you consider this true?

I just recently saw an article talking about LDU beating Barcelona for the Ecuadorean Championship.  It also notced that Ecuador have now switched now having two championships each season as some other Latin American countries already do.  What do you think of having an aputera and a clausura?  This articles also said that Barcelona claims to be the most popular team in Ecuador.  Would you consider this true?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh Barcelona :sick: lol. Yes, they might be considered the most popular team in the coast. Although I doubt about their acceptance in Quito, which is mostly LDU. :thumbsup: I am a nacionalist(follow Nacional), but am really startng to betray it for LDU. It is definetely the best team right now. It has won Boca, and Santos in Libertadores and is always "almost there". Barcelona is from Guayaquil. They do not even have their own name, it is copied from Spain, as well as their shield, which almost the same. But yeah, they are the historic champions, with 1 3 championships, 5 more than LDU.

The Playoffs system is, for me and most, a great option. It keeps the suspense until the end. Before, there were matches that were not necessary, because either one of the teams had no chance to get anwhere, or was classified for sure. Also, there are more finals matches, which are just great!!!! :D:ph34r:

What is the system used in the USA? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess it would be closer to what you used to have there. Just one season and then that's it till next season. If there's one thing that seems a little odd to me is that the MLS plays during the heat of summer. But I'm pretty sure it does that more because it tends to be the slower time of the year as far as sports are concerned. American football is the major sport here in the US. Baseball is going on right now and it is generally considered the big tradtional sport here in the US.

And any major team? :ph34r:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...I'm assuming that you mean that one team is much better than the others. I'm not really sure you can say that. It almost seems like you'll have one team that will be pretty good for a couple of years then someone else will come along and be good for a couple of years. I'm not sure if the MLS here is like some of the other leagues around the world. I'm also not sure if it's been around long enough to see if there are any patterns as to one team being consistantly better than some of the others.

Now I will counter with a question back to you. Do you see any of the leagues in South America becoming big and rich enough to keep South American players from leaving? It seems that many end up playing over in Europe. I don't see the MLS ever being able to compete with players over in the European leagues anytime in the near future. I think the only reason we have kept as many good players from the US is because they are willing to stay to try to get the league going. But most of the foreign players that come over here to play are generally older players who don't have much of a shot anywhere else to play.

In an attempt to bring a little more life into this topic. Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best league in the world? Three I tend to hear mentioned the most are the English Premier League, La Liga in Spain, and Serie A in Italy. Does anyone think one of these leagues or any others are above the others? For that matter does anyone think there is one team better than everyone else? Doesn't have to be a team in one of the formentioned leagues. But I personally think you'd be hard pressed to find one that would be better than those in the EPL, La Liga and Serie A.

Now I will counter with a question back to you.  Do you see any of the leagues in South America becoming big and rich enough to keep South American players from leaving?  It seems that many end up playing over in Europe.  I don't see the MLS ever being able to compete with players over in the European leagues anytime in the near future.  I think the only reason we have kept as many good players from the US is because they are willing to stay to try to get the league going.  But most of the foreign players that come over here to play are generally older players who don't have much of a shot anywhere else to play.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is a great question. Argentina could be a good example of good leagues, with satisfied players. But in general, I doubt it. Latinamerican players tend to leave because of the general conditions of the continent. Hopefully, this will change, and the american continent's leagues will have nothing to envy from Europe.

:ph34r:

In an attempt to bring a little more life into this topic.  Does anyone have any opinions on what is the best league in the world?  Three I tend to hear mentioned the most are the English Premier League, La Liga in Spain, and Serie A in Italy.  Does anyone think one of these leagues or any others are above the others?  For that matter does anyone think there is one team better than everyone else?  Doesn't have to be a team in one of the formentioned leagues.  But I personally think you'd be hard pressed to find one that would be better than those in the EPL, La Liga and Serie A.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Personally, I think that Spain is just invencible. It is curious because their national team has not made as much accomplishments as their league teams. Nevertheless, the alleged best team of the world, Real Madrid, has been defeated by Japan's last team.

Officialy, I think Real Madrid is classified as the best team, and Ronaldhino from Barcelona, as the best player. I love italian futbol though, so I am not sure at all about what to say. I guess there is no "better" leagues.

Personally, I think that Spain is just invencible. It is curious because their national team has not made as much accomplishments as their league teams. Nevertheless, the alleged best team of the world, Real Madrid, has been defeated by Japan's last team.

Officialy, I think Real Madrid is classified as the best team, and Ronaldhino from Barcelona, as the best player. I love italian futbol though, so I am not sure at all about what to say. I guess there is no "better" leagues.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I can certainly see the La Liga arguement. In some ways it's hard for me to judge because I don't get to see any Spanish or Italian matches. None of the tv stations I have, have the rights to those two leagues. I get to see English, German, French and sometimes some Dutch. Now I can see some Latin matches, in particular Mexican. But with my limited Spanish it can be hard to keep up with at times.

That is a great question. Argentina could be a good example of good leagues, with satisfied players. But in general, I doubt it. Latinamerican players tend to leave because of the general conditions of the continent. Hopefully, this will change, and the american continent's leagues will have nothing to envy from Europe.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mexico seems to do a good job of keeping most of their players. Any idea why? Are Mexican players not thought of very highly and therefor tend to be underrated? I know there has been a stigma in some of Latin America against Mexico because they play up here in North America where the game is taken to seriously except in Mexico. But I think Mexico is slowly working on this, they are now sending teams to Copa Libertadores. Is there a possibility of physical attributes playing a factor? I really don't want to stereotype but it seems to me that many Mexican players tend to be shorter than their counterparts in other nations. Could that perhaps not work well with players being taller than many Mexican players? Just trying to figure out why you rarely see Mexican players play outside their country.

What do you think of Barcelona's chances in La Liga are this year? have you heard if they have picked up any new players recently? I heard Real Madrid signed Julio Baptista. Arsenal had been trying to sign him. I'm no fan of Real Madrid, they've had a history of trying to lure Arsenal's players away and such. Anyway any predictions on La Liga this season?

Mexico seems to do a good job of keeping most of their players.  Any idea why?  Are Mexican players not thought of very highly and therefor tend to be underrated?  I know there has been a stigma in some of Latin America against Mexico because they play up here in North America where the game is taken to seriously except in Mexico.  But I think Mexico is slowly working on this, they are now sending teams to Copa Libertadores.  Is there a possibility of physical attributes playing a factor?  I really don't want to stereotype but it seems to me that many Mexican players tend to be shorter than their counterparts in other nations.  Could that perhaps not work well with players being taller than many Mexican players?  Just trying to figure out why you rarely see Mexican players play outside their country.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you noticed that most latinamerican national teams are comformed of black people? Not Mexico. I dont know, I guess that race has to do a lot with it. Mexico, however, with his little players has been one of the greates teams in America. Ecuadorian players are mostly blacks, yet our national teams are more varied. I woulc imagine that their qualities change. While africans are faster, the "mestizo", american race is more resistant? It is a very interesting topic.

Have you noticed that most latinamerican national teams are comformed of black people? Not Mexico. I dont know, I guess that race has to do a lot with it. Mexico, however, with his little players has been one of the greates teams in America. Ecuadorian players are mostly blacks, yet our national teams  are more varied. I woulc imagine that their qualities change. While africans are faster, the "mestizo", american race is more resistant? It is a very interesting topic.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Honestly I hadn't noticed Latin American National teams were usually composed of black people. But since you mention it I guess they do tend to have quite a few, at least on some countries team. I'm not sure sure I buy into the idea that certain races are better athletes or anything though. I grew up in a society that seemed to believe that black people were better in basketball and that white people simply couldn't compete. But with foreign players coming into the NBA here in the US. Suddenly you're seeing some of these players doing well and they're not black. I wouldn't say there's no physical differences between different races, but I do think it tends to be blown out of proportion. But you do raise a point, there are few black people in Mexico. But I have seen 'mestizo' players from South America playing over in Europe. But I think maybe some of that 'could' come from the fact not all Native Americans were the same. Even here in the US you have some that are much taller than others. It does seem that Mexicans in general tend to be somewhat shorter. I'm not sure if this is the reason European teams haven't looked more into trying to get Mexican players or what.

• 1 month later...

Honestly I hadn't noticed Latin American National teams were usually composed of black people.  But since you mention it I guess they do tend to have quite a few, at least on some countries team.  I'm not sure sure I buy into the idea that certain races are better athletes or anything though.  I grew up in a society that seemed to believe that black people were better in basketball and that white people simply couldn't compete.  But with foreign players coming into the NBA here in the US.  Suddenly you're seeing some of these players doing well and they're not black.  I wouldn't say there's no physical differences between different races, but I do think it tends to be blown out of proportion.  But you do raise a point, there are few black people in Mexico.  But I have seen 'mestizo' players from South America playing over in Europe.  But I think maybe some of that 'could' come from the fact not all Native Americans were the same.  Even here in the US you have some that are much taller than others.  It does seem that Mexicans in general tend to be somewhat shorter.  I'm not sure if this is the reason European teams haven't looked more into trying to get Mexican players or what.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course it is not about better races or anything, but merely about the advantages that some racial characteristic anatomies provide. Well, the World Cup is closer, and in South America, there is only two matches left, and we'll see who classified. :D:ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, you are right. You are better than even France, and most of Europe's kings.

1 Brazil 0 846 17

2 Argentina 1 787 2

3 Netherlands 1 781 -2

4 Czech Republic -2 778 -12

5 Mexico 1 768 9

6 USA 4 765 21

7 France -2 749 -16

8 England -1 744 -13

8 Spain 1 744 -3

10 Portugal -2 739 -16

11 Germany 10 723 28

12 Turkey 2 716 -3

13 Japan 5 715 5

14 Italy -3 713 -12

15 Iran 2 711 0

15 Republic of Ireland 0 711 -3

17 Sweden -5 710 -12

18 Uruguay 0 703 -7

19 Denmark -3 698 -15

19 Greece -6 698 -22

Rank Team +/-Rank

Jun 05 Pts:

Jul 05 +/-Pts:

Jun 05

21 Korea Republic -1 696 0

22 Croatia 0 695 1

23 Costa Rica 1 691 7

24 Poland -1 689 0

25 Colombia 0 683 10

26 Egypt 2 671 3

27 Cameroon -1 666 -4

28 Saudi Arabia 3 661 -1

29 Nigeria 0 659 -6

30 Russia -3 657 -12

31 Romania 1 651 -3

32 Tunisia 6 649 17

33 Ecuador 1 647 1

34 Paraguay -4 645 -18

35 Morocco -2 643 -7

36 Norway -1 639 -1

36 Ukraine -1 639 -1

38 South Africa 1 634 4

39 Honduras 11 631 37

39 Senegal -2 631 -8

I have a hard time accepting these rankings. I'm a big USA soccer fan, but how in the world are we better than England (who beats us all the time), and Germany (beat us last WC)??? Iran better than Denmark? The list just seems odd to me.

Archived