Charleston + New Orleans = Savannah?

L-Beware

I went to Savannah this past Christmas/New Years holiday, and to me the general feeling I got from Savannahs layout, architecture, and general feel of the city, it seemed like a combination of Charleston and New Orleans.

Driving through the city actually reminded me of another version of downtown Charleston, and Im from Charleston. Even though I had never been there before, I felt like I had though. It felt like I knew Savannah, and I basically found my way through the different streets and neighborhoods quite easily. Having all those perfect square blocks helped alot Im sure. But I instantly fell in love with it as soon as I arrived. Im planning another trip there the first week of August, and I cant wait to go back. However, the little time I spent there, I got the feeling that, with the way the city looked, especially there architecture reminded me of a sort of like a midpoint, combination type mixture of Charleston and New Orleans. A lot of Savannah felt and looked like Charleston, yet the way a good bit of the houses and porches were designed, looked almost exactly like New Orleans. You can also walk River Street with alcohol from what I hear, being that they have no open container laws, so thats something else they share with New Orleans. Plus Savannah is situated facing the river, as opposed to the ocean, just as New Orleans is. Im interested in hearing other opinions on what you all think. This time I plan on taking my camcorder and taking pictures. I cant miss this opportunity again.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What part of Savannah are you from? And whats your opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm from the Eastside, about a mile from Downtown. I've never been to N.O. so

I can't speak much about it. From the pics of the French Quarter i've seen N.O.

& Savannah look similiar. Charleston & Savannah look alike in many spots, but

Charleston has a more polished look.

Answer me this then. Is Blackshear and Garden Homes the same thing? And is Fred Wessels and Hitch Village the same thing? Always wondered that. Also, yeah Charleston has a more polished look. Because in the past 8-10 years, our city has had major improvements.

But 70's, 80's, early 90's Charleston was damn near identical. I get in Savannah and instantly feel at home. I love that. Ive been there once, and I already basically know how to navigate through the city.

I'm from the Eastside, about a mile from Downtown. I've never been to N.O. so

I can't speak much about it. From the pics of the French Quarter i've seen N.O.

& Savannah look similiar. Charleston & Savannah look alike in many spots, but

Charleston has a more polished look.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats one reason I think the comparison is a good one. Savannah has similar historical homes etc that Charleston has and is similar in size but Charleston seems more colonial while Savannah, like NO, is a bit more funky.

Thats one reason I think the comparison is a good one.  Savannah has similar historical homes etc that Charleston has and is similar in size but Charleston seems more colonial while Savannah, like NO, is a bit more funky.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One thing that is different about the architecture of these two cities is that Savannah never developed a true vernacular style like the Charleston Single house. (this is not entirely true however because there was a particular style of worker flats that were developed when the railroad was in its heyday in Savannah.) However, many more people know about the Charleston Single then the worker flats in Savannah.

The downtown core of Savannah is very Federal in nature. Most especially along Liberty and Oglethorpe.

Nitro

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that is different about the architecture of these two cities is that Savannah never developed a true vernacular style like the Charleston Single house. (this is not entirely true however because there was a particular style of worker flats that were developed when the railroad was in its heyday in Savannah.)  However, many more people know about the Charleston Single then the worker flats in Savannah. 

The downtown core of Savannah is very Federal in nature.  Most especially along Liberty and Oglethorpe.

Nitro

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'll be in Savannah this Thursday the 4th through Sunday. I plan on riding around and taking a lot of pictures. Do you know of or have any pictures of the Workers Flat so I'll know what to look for?

And also, does anybody know if there is anything like the Gullah Tours in Savannah?

I'll be in Savannah this Thursday the 4th through Sunday. I plan on riding around and taking a lot of pictures. Do you know of or have any pictures of the Workers Flat so I'll know what to look for?

And also, does anybody know if there is anything like the Gullah Tours in Savannah?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been a few years since I've been there. I'll have to look at a map and see if I can pick them out. They are on the west side of town near the old railroad depot (which is now the visitor's center). They are SE of the depot.

There are more tours then you can shake a stick at in Savannah. We used to say that you couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a tour guide in Savannah. They all start off at the Vistor's Center (old train depot). On MLK near Liberty. Start there.

Nitro

• 1 month later...

It's been a few years since I've been there. I'll have to look at a map and see if I can pick them out. They are on the west side of town near the old railroad depot (which is now the visitor's center). They are SE of the depot.

There are more tours then you can shake a stick at in Savannah. We used to say that you couldn't swing a dead cat and not hit a tour guide in Savannah. They all start off at the Vistor's Center (old train depot). On MLK near Liberty. Start there.

Nitro

Are these what you were talking about?

Even if these arent the worker flats, they sure look to be a style solely found in Savannah. I had never seen anything quite like this before in my life.

DSC00600.jpg

DSC00599.jpg

DSC00595.jpg

DSC00596.jpg

DSC00731.jpg

DSC00733.jpg

DSC00730.jpg

DSC00734.jpg

Archived