Port close to signing huge deal with line

bobliocatt

The Jacksonville Port Authority is on the verge of signing a deal with an Asian shipping line that will bring a mammoth new facility to Dames Point and could create thousands of jobs, double the number of containers brought into Jacksonville and eventually make the port one of the 10 busiest in the country.

Although port officials would not name the shipping line, pending an announcement early next week, the longshoreman's union said it has signed a contract with the Trans Pacific Container Service Corp., the terminal operating arm of Japan-based shipping line Mitsui OSK Lines, Ltd.

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19247446.shtml

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What the deal brings to port

*A new $100 million terminal on 120 to 200 acres at Dames Point, to be completed in late 2007

*A Japanese freighter delivering general merchandise, textiles, clothing and electronics

*About 360,000 additional containers delivered to the port in year one, 2008, with potential for more

*Upward of 1,800 new jobs at the port directly related to the new shipments and another 3,200-plus on and off the port

*Potential to more than double the number of containers coming to Jacksonville from 727,600 to 1.53 million

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor..._19247446.shtml

I'm very excited about this deal. It would definitely be a huge booster for an already strong North Florida economy.

I have to say that the early planners for the Jax port did a great job placing it. I would much rather see it a ways from the DT versus all of the gritty grungy industry right next door to our pristine skyline. Another good thing regarding the location is that the port is at the junction of two major east/west and north/south corridors allowing ease in distribution. I'm not sure exactly why Miami's port is so large due to the fact that is it somewhat inaccessible (from a national perspective) when Jax is at the crossroads of the two most highly traveled routes in North America. Hopefully this new deal will open up the doors for Jax to become THE supreme southeast port and a major contender on an international scale.

JAXPORT is one of the larger ports for Cars in the US.

Port of Miami (POM) statistics show over 1,000,000 TEU's (twenty foot container equivalent units or) and 9,000,000 tons of cargo in 2003. JAXPORT had 750,000 TEU's and 15,000,000 tons of cargo. POM has more containers, JAXPORT has a lot more tonnage. I'm not sure if these are apples to apples numbers but I think it shows that JAXPORT is a significant international port and not just a regional one.

The Mitsui deal and the further development of Dames Point marine terminal will make JAXPORT a major east coast player.

Shipper's terminal project could bring city 5,000 jobs

Dames Point facility could make city 1 of top 10 container ports in nation

By TIMOTHY J. GIBBONS and CHRISTOPHER CALNAN, The Times-Union

Japan-based shipping company Mitsui OSK Lines Ltd. will build a $200 million terminal at Dames Point, the Jacksonville Port Authority and the shipper announced Monday, an undertaking that could bring upward of 5,000 jobs, double the port's capacity and eventually make Jacksonville one of the top 10 container ports in the country.

Ground should be broken next July for the first phase of the terminal, which will include two 1,200-foot berths and six cranes that can handle the largest cargo ships in operation. The company will begin with 158 acres at Dames Point, and can eventually expand to more than 200 acres of port authority land, including the cruise terminal, should it ever be vacated. Carnival Cruise Lines has an agreement to lease the berth at the cruise terminal until October, and is currently negotiating a new agreement.

Read the rest here

I would think that the majority of the jobs would be pretty average paying jobs, but I'm sure there will be a few high paying jobs to be had also.

Hopefully the per capita income numbers will at least remain the same.

According to Firstcoastnews.com:

They'll be hired by private companies, so port management says it's hard to give specific salary numbers. But they could tell FCN a typical port job in Jacksonville this year pays $45,000 plus benefits.

If this source is correct, it is wonderful news. Further, it states the wage is for a typical port job and not the wage for all employees. Either way, maybe I can sneak in on one of the containers and they could drop me off in The Philippines so I can visit my relatives.

Here is a rendering of the facility according to JAXPORT's site:

dp.facility.jpg

I know it is good to be concerned to a degree about what the per capita will be after the fact, but keep in mind that as of 2000, the per capita income for Duval County is $20,753

(http://www.answers.com/topic/florida-locations-by-per-capita-income)

Even after adjusting for any inflation/growth over the past 5 years, it is stll going to be hard pressed to have saleries much below that line. Further more, from my understanding, the average salaries for dock workers generally start at about 25 for the low end and rise quickly from the minimal type jobs. (no statistics to prove, jsut think I heard this some where) That number also equates to about $10/hr job.

In any case, What I think is important to note though is that there are 5000 jobs opening up. regardless of the pay, that is a very good shot in the arm for the economy.

to take it a step further...

If ALL 5000 people got paid zip, it would have an effect of only .5% decrease in the per capita income.

in other words, instead of the average being 21,000, it would be about 20,890.

anyway, I am a geek and like to play with numbers...

cheers

Blount Island and Talleyrand handle mixed products. BIMT has a lot of cars, RORO, and breakbulk. Talleyrand also has a lot of breakbulk and some containers. Cars take up a lot of room at BIMT, they can't be stacked like containers. The new facility looks like it is strictly containers and it will be designed for containers from the beginning, so the backlands will be designed with this in mind.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived