Old Masonic Temple redevelopment

ChiefJoJo

For those that don't know, it's the old stone bldg up on the hill just NW of the Wade Ave/Glenwwod interchange between Glenwood South and Five Pts. It is one of Raleigh's three National Historic Landmarks, and former home of Josephus Daniels, founder and former owner of the N&O. A developer is looking to add a parking lot and condos to the site.

link

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like the idea. Carving the building up into condos doesn't seem the best use for it, and adding another building and acres of parking to the site would greatly compromise its historic appeal. If the alternative is demolition, then condos are the preferable choice, but I don't think we're quite that far along yet; maybe a buyer can be found who will keep the site more intact, whether as a business or as a residence?

• 1 year later...

The Josephus Daniels home/property is for sale (former Masonic Lodge). Luckily is designated as historic so it can't be demolished (?). I would assume the property will most likely be subdivided but I think it would be a great location for an inn/spa resort in the heart of Raleigh.

Story

I think they ought to build some small, run-down split levels. That way next year people could tear them down and build 10K sq. foot houses scrunched together.

Of course, whatever is proposed, people will protest. The hotel/spa idea is interesting. I bet the neighbors would go ape$%^& though. Remember when Guest Quarters was going to build a hotel at Glenwood and Oberlin where that hideous Kip Dell Homes building is? All of the neighbors and Carolina Country Club members had "No Hotel" signs in all of their yards. Truth is, a suite hotel there would have done really well and would have served the city a great service.

The Daniels home is on the National Register of Historic Places, so I don't think it will be going anywhere. I like the B&B or small, historic resort idea. I think some additional construction could be done to match the existing architecture of the bldg (see the small addition to the Dodd-Hinsdale House) in a way that is tastefully executed.

Josephus Daniels was the secretary of the navy that banned alcohol on all ships in the fleet, giving coffee the nickname "cup of Joe".

The temple/house on Glenwood is just north of Wade Ave. It is a short walk to Five Points, but other than that, the area is mostly residential, with some offices on the opposite side of Glenwood. Will the well-heeled Hayes Barton neighbors want anything that attracts traffic? Not likely. The property to the north has been in the Daneils' family for a while. Anything going in next door would likely need their approval.

The neighbors won't want to see a parking lot on the property, which would kill a hotel/spa.

The hotel near Carolina Country Club was shot down for the same reason nothing resort-like has been built near Raleigh Country Club, Wakefield, North Ridge, or Preston -- the members don't want to share the facilities, tee times, etc. with visitors. The best chance for a golf/spa resort in Raleigh was on NCSU's Centennial Campus, but Pinehurst and Grandale (sp?) near the Triad have kept that from happening, citing "unfair, taxpayer supported competition." A hotel near the Dix property? Unthinkable!

Archived