Birmingham Picture of the Day

tedo420

That has got to be one of the best shots ever taken of the City Federal building. Kudos! Oh, and unfortunately I don't have any info on the sculpture... Sorry.

damn - thanks! i have a better one of the building, but my sketchy ass is in the pic, so i didn't post that one. i wonder about the sculpture, because i believe it's been there for at least 20 - 30 years. when i was a little boy, my parents went to an audiologist on highland, and i remember that sculpture from those visits (though i think it was red-orange then). it's on the grounds of the a.g. edwards office now - but there's no identifying plaque, etc.

a sculpture on highland avenue near 5 pts south - i'm posting this because i wonder if anyone has any info about this sculpture or its history on the site. anyone?

The sculpture is the work of John Paul Rietta. It was orange in color when it was first installed.

The sculpture is the work of John Paul Rietta. It was orange in color when it was first installed.

thank you so much for that info (esp. the part that confirms my childhood impression of what color the thing used to be). i will look rietta up when i'm more alert - i'm down with strep throat right now. but again, thanks. you must be a bham lifer!

229748769_1c4b4a22f2.jpg

This well-composed urban plaza is framed by the New Birmingham News building and their old headquarters built in 1917, across the street. The News plans to demolish the 1917 structure for surface parking.

The News goes before Birmingham's Design Review Committee on September 13 to seek their approval for their demolition permit.

Regardless of the committee's decision, I fear that the only way to save the building is for the owner to change their plans. So if you know anybody who would like to make an offer on a beautiful historic building with lots of natural light, let the publisher know ASAP.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

^^^That's a great view. :offtopic: Although Morris Avenue is home to a past failed attempt at an entertainment/shopping district back in the 1970's, I think once the Railroad Park is complete there should another attempt of recreating that. The number of new residential developments of condos and lofts in the area coming with the Park's completion would be sufficient enough reason for this 2nd attempt. The area is simply too aesthetically beautiful to be left dark in the afterhours at night.

^^^That's a great view. :offtopic: Although Morris Avenue is home to a past failed attempt at an entertainment/shopping district back in the 1970's, I think once the Railroad Park is complete there should another attempt of recreating that. The number of new residential developments of condos and lofts in the area coming with the Park's completion would be sufficient enough reason for this 2nd attempt. The area is simply too aesthetically beautiful to be left dark in the afterhours at night.

• 4 weeks later...

Birmingham is such an attractive city to be so disfunctional.

I think that's the 'Southern Gothic' effect at work!

I think it's a blessing so many of the old buildings are still standing, and that height is restricted. The newer buildings do seem to mesh well with the old. Impressive.