Zip Code Capacity

willacoochee

I'm sorry if this is a "dumb" quesiton, but does anyone know the capacity of one zip code; or is the standards different in certain places? I have searched, but I have found nothing!

Again I am sorry if this is a crazy question!

THANKING YOU IN ADVANCE

Edit: Not that I think Willacoochee needs a new zip code, I am just curious.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont think there is a 'capacity' so to speak- except how many roads and highrises you can build a certain area. I think it has to do with density of communities in terms of addresses. Obviously at some point it becomes more efficient to separate one area from another for mail deliveries.

Yeah, there are an infinite number of addresses that can exist in a zipcode. (unlike an area code). Zipcodes are assigned to assist with routing mail and believe it or not, are not even required. The only thing you need to mail a letter to someone is just their name, street address, and city. When they established zipcodes in the 60s, they were optional as they are today but it might take your letter longer to get there.

yeah I agree, I don't think there is a "capacity" per se. On Microsoft MapPoint, you can plot demographics directly onto the map, and you can subdivide the data into zipcode, county, MSA, state, etc. And You can find out anything from General Population to how many people go out and buy cough syrup, and ones who buy traveler's checks. Yeah, it's that intense, but very interesting. You can then look at the region at different color shadings, darker (more), lighter (less), etc. It's cool

But anywayz, back to the zipcode point: Augusta Metro Area for example has about 8-10 zipcodes over geographic areas of the city. Typically in population capped at or around 30,000 people (from 2002 year stats). South Augusta zipcode, 30906, was the only extreme execption with at 60,420 people, followed by Martinez, 30907 with 45,000.

Upon pointing at some Metro ATL zips, I didn't find any above 70,000 except for 2 in Gwinnett county around Lawrenceville and Lilburn. Keep in mind that this too is during 2002, now it could even be higher than this. And interestingly enough, zipcodes on the East coast have smaller area covering, while ones on the west coast are as big as some states, The one in Nevada I swear looks bigger than 2 Metro ATL's put together and only has only 660 people in it. So the system can really vary.

There is a building in Chicago that has so many people in it that it used to have its own ZIP code (it may still, I can't remember exactly what the guide said).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually thats quite common, even here in Charlotte though the practice here is limited to businesses that get a lot of mail or have a lot of employees.

There is a building in Chicago that has so many people in it that it used to have its own ZIP code (it may still, I can't remember exactly what the guide said).

I'm not so sure that the Hancock has it's own ZIP code however I am positive that the Chicago Merchandise Mart does. Before the Pentagon was built, it was the largest building in the world in terms of sq ft.

Archived