Condo Shopping Uptown...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe I'm in a very small minority:  Thirty-something with 2 small children and wanting to live uptown.  I believe the amenities and the option of never having to get in my car to entertain family/friends is very appealing and I would jump at the chance.  The only obstacle to my (pipe)dream is the perception that there are no good schools for my children to go to.  I've always said that uptown is ripe for a good private school for a parent like me.  Imagine, uptown workers actually being able to have breakfast, lunch and dinner with their kids and being able to spend more time with them (no long commutes, etc).  Does anyone believe like me that one of the impetuses (impeti?) to more people living uptown is the perceived lack of good schools in this area?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My wife and I chose Dilworth for that very reason. It is still close enough to my job that I don't leave too early or get home too late (spending over an hour a day in my car used to truly piss me off). We would consider a townhome in uptown if the elementary schools had better results. For high school it is a better proposition, and we may make the move.

INTERESTING FACT: The NAR reported last year, that for the first time ever, the national average selling price for a condo/townhomes exceeded the average price for a single family home. There are obviously reasons beyond that condos are popular now, but it is an interesting phenomenon that will likely continue.

My wife and I chose Dilworth for that very reason.  It is still close enough to my job that I don't leave too early or get home too late (spending over an hour a day in my car used to truly piss me off).  We would consider a townhome in uptown if the elementary schools had better results.  For high school it is a better proposition, and we may make the move.

INTERESTING FACT:  The NAR reported last year, that for the first time ever, the national average selling price for a condo/townhomes exceeded the average price for a single family home.  There are obviously reasons beyond that condos are popular now, but it is an interesting phenomenon that will likely continue.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It seems to me that the perception of condo living has changed with the introduction of luxury features, amenities and the returning popularity of urban living. Add that to the fact that condos are usually purchased where the price of land is pretty much off the leash and there are no available SFH to compete, and that might be the difference.

You know that would be nice to build a school like that espcially with all the new familys maving uptown. Instead of having to leave uptown you caould just walk to school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What about school activities such as sports? Where would you go?

Or the opportunity could be used to create a nice urban park with an all-purpose field or something. Neighborhood residents and kids could use it while school is not in session. Maybe a field that could be used for neighborhood soccer or football games, picnics, concerts, etc. I'm thinking a big grass field like that would be great, many colleges have open grass spaces like this for students. All it would take is busting up one surface lot, planting and maintaining some grass on it and lining the side of the lot with sidewalks and trees.

Secondly, I

public schools do not need sports but something probably could be worked out with one of the parks or one of the various stadiums around.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Disagree with public schools not needing sports. Seems like that would be a boring high school.

I definitely agree there needs to be HS sports.  They could play football at Memorial and I'm sure they could fit a gym in there for basketball and find a nearby park for baseball/soccer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Memorial Stadium has the Gary Cole Center, it's a little venue for small basketball games that CMS high school used for playoffs. For baseball, there's the park across Memorial Stadium on Independence. All of those things are County owned, would work out perfectly with an urban high school.

Grady Cole.  Gary Cole is the guy from Office Space :)  Some of the high schools already play at memorial stadium.  Is having your own field at your own campus overrated? What do they do in other big cities? Or should I say bigger cities?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol. It's only one conference in CMS that plays at Memorial, whatever conference Independence is in, that conference plays there, but all the high schools do use Grady Cole. But I wish we could rebuilt 2nd Ward High.

Lol. It's only one conference in CMS that plays at Memorial, whatever conference Independence is in, that conference plays there, but all the high schools do use Grady Cole. But I wish we could rebuilt 2nd Ward High.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I know Independence plays there, but don't some of the other schools play there as well? Many moons ago when I was at West Charlotte, we would only play our big games there and the rest of the games would be on campus.

Independence only played there for super big games, like playoff semi-finals and stuff. East Meck used it the whole season a couple years back because their stadium was being rebuilt. All high schools use their own stadiums for football games, rarely are any played at Memorial other than state playoff games (finals/semis) or the Shrine Bowl, which Memorial shares with Rock Hill.

Every year that I went to Vance High School we had a regular season home game at Memorial Stadium. We were allowed to pick the most important game of the season, which tended to be the one against North Meck. I'd be very surprised if the other schools in the MEGA-7 (now the MECA-8) weren't allowed the same privilege (i'm pretty sure they were).

There is a game just about every Friday night at Memorial Stadium during football season. Usually a "game of the week" type thing rotating schools. Independence usually plays a few games there a season since their campus stadium can't seat the crowds that go to see their bigger games.

Archived