downtown residential update....photo tour part 4

cityboi

Smothers Place Loft Condos on South Elm Street and Smothers Place. Its obvios that the building is somewhat styled after the old 1895 Southern Railroad depot next door.

smothers2005_1.jpg

smothers2005_2.jpg

smothers2005_3.jpg

The Old Southern Railwail station built in 1895. Greensboro is fortunate to have two historic downtown Southern Railway Stations. The 1895 one was the first. The larger one built in 1926 is a part of the new multi-model transporation center. however the 1895 depot has had a few exterior changes over the years. The roof of the depot was not flat when it was first built and it looked more victorian styled.

smothers2005_4.jpg

smothers2005_5.jpg

smothers2005_6.jpg

smothers2005_7.jpg

smothers2005_8.jpg

smothers2005_9.jpg

smothers2005_10.jpg

smothers2005_11.jpg

This part of Smothers Place Loft is a historic renovation. It use the be the Carolina Hotel which was built in 1926 and is now being included in the project. The roof of the building was flat and they've added a pitch roof.

smothers2005_12.jpg

smothers2005_13.jpg

smothers2005_14.jpg

Here are som old buildings south of downtown on Elm Street. There is a major redevelopment plan underway that where the borders of downtown will expand to include these building below and it could become the next Southside but with entertainment venues.

SElm2005_1.jpg

SElm2005_2.jpg

SElm2005_3.jpg

Northstate Milling Co. building built in 1910 When the ballpark was first proposed here this building would have had to come down. Now it can be preserved for loft condos/office space or become some kind of entertainment venue.

SElm2005_4.jpg

SElm2005_5.jpg

SElm2005_6.jpg

The Biltmore Greensboro Hotel is located on Washington Street. The building was built in the late 1800s.

biltmore2005.jpg

looking over the Corner of South Elm and Washington Streets.

biltmore2005_2.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just browsed through your threads, and I enjoyed it a great deal. Greensboro has a cool older central district, and it has made what appear to be great strides in development over the past couple of years. I hope years of good fortune continue to bless the downtown area--so far things have definitely been going well, from the ballpark, to the train station, to beautification of Elm, to all of this new and remodeled office and living space. :thumbsup:

Thanks :) Its really exciting to watch a city in transition. Its just amazing whats been accomplished over the past few years. There are still other condo projects on the drawing boards and another near start of construction. The next time I move, im moving downtown. That is if downtown residential prices arent sky high by then.

Great tour!! :D Smother's Place looks great. I'm liking the finished product better than the original drawings. It would be wonderful to see South Elm (south of Lee) redeveloped. It would give the southern entrance into a downtown a more appealing look. Hopefully something will happen there. I know the ground contamination has been a problem making redevelopment much costlier.

I'm really looking for some new residential projects though. Seems like it is about time for another proposal. I'm getting anxious.

I'm really looking for some new residential projects though. Seems like it is about time for another proposal. I'm getting anxious.

Well, Bellemeade Village was propased just a few months ago. I'm not entirely sure when it is suppose to break ground, but it looks spectacular.

Early rendering

Note however, All the buildings have been increased in height to a minimum of 4-5 stories.

Thanks guys! The South Elm/Lee redeveloopment plan should be interesting. It could become another Southside but with more commercial and retail space and added entertainment venues. Its up in the air exactly what will go there but it has been suggested that there would be a main anchor in the development and we should expect to see residential.

Bellemeade Village is going to be even more spectaculor than Southside. It doesnt cover as much land as Southside side does and Bellemeade Village will be smaller geographically but it will have far more units than Southside. Bellemeade Village will have over 300 condos, apartments, townhomes and live-work units and while the architecture might be different form Southside, it will be just as interesting. Most of the buildings in Bellemeade Village will be 5 to 6 stories so there will be a cluster of these buildings forming a mid-rise skyline on the northwest end of downtown Greensboro. Those buildings will help provide a base when viewing Greensboro's Skyline from the Wendover Ave Bridge over Battleground. Bellemeade Village will have a grocery store, retail and there is even talk of a boutique hotel in the mix of the development. Some of these mid-rise condos will be overlooking left field of Greensboro's new downtown ballpark. Its going to be a great development and the largest residential project (in terms of units) in downtown Greensboro's history. So if you think Southside is spectacular, just wait til Bellemeade Village is complete!

Yes I agree, its all about people. id rather have a lowrise or midrise residential/mixed use village of 300 units that encourages pedestrian street traffic than a 16-story 300 unit residential tower. tall buildings dont make urban centers.

Archived