School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"FSU reaching 60K students? Shoot, are you'all trying to catch UCF and UF in raw numbers Seriously, there needs to be some kind of enrollment restriction put in place. What's FSU's number at right now, 40-41,000?"

FSU is at 40K. The state really dictates #s with policy, not state universities themselves. Under the current political environment, it is political suicide to reduce or restrict enrollment. FCGU does it a bit....but I don't even know if they do it. If you want to get paid, you have to bring in students or the state punishes you.

The Middle East donation thing is something I haven't heard. I figured you would hear about it in something more mainstream before I would go believe it. Certainly possible, but you get go believing everything you read on some blog.

"FSU reaching 60K students? Shoot, are you'all trying to catch UCF and UF in raw numbers Seriously, there needs to be some kind of enrollment restriction put in place. What's FSU's number at right now, 40-41,000?"

FSU is at 40K. The state really dictates #s with policy, not state universities themselves. Under the current political environment, it is political suicide to reduce or restrict enrollment. FCGU does it a bit....but I don't even know if they do it. If you want to get paid, you have to bring in students or the state punishes you.

The Middle East donation thing is something I haven't heard. I figured you would hear about it in something more mainstream before I would go believe it. Certainly possible, but you get go believing everything you read on some blog.

I'm taking it with a grain of salt before I believe. I posted it on here to see if others have heard about the situaion or could find anything else about it.

"and the tennis courts to soon follow."

Didn't know that...but it makes sense with the new Chem building going right there.

FYI, what I think FSU should do is get St Joe (which owns about 40-50 THOUSAND acres in Leon County) to donate FSU about 1-2 thousand acres to FSU (raw continous land) for a research park. This would be a win win for everyone and not step on Innovation Park's toes.

I doubt TK has this kind of vision, he truly doesn't understand the difference between a research university and a community college. Both critical institutions, but VERY different missions. TK doesn't know what a research university is, so he wouldn't push this. Hopefully FSU gets a new president with vision and guts to jump on something like this before all the land is developed and FSU stuck without hopes of a research park.

hello, i am new to the board. i have read many post with interest and would like to say that a university park is needed and it makes the most sense for it to be in the IP area. is the university park dead in the water? what can we do as concerned citizens to get this off the ground again and bring this to fruition. i see a revitalized gaines street, a new interest in moving downtown, a performing arts center, and a university park as essential economic engines for our local economy. your comments are appreciated. look forward to more dialogue on this board.

gibson

hello, i am new to the board. i have read many post with interest and would like to say that a university park is needed and it makes the most sense for it to be in the IP area. is the university park dead in the water? what can we do as concerned citizens to get this off the ground again and bring this to fruition. i see a revitalized gaines street, a new interest in moving downtown, a performing arts center, and a university park as essential economic engines for our local economy. your comments are appreciated. look forward to more dialogue on this board.

gibson

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee Gibson! :yahoo:

Thank you for joining us. I'll write a letter to TK and the paper if you want.

:yahoo: Welcome to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee Gibson! :yahoo:

Thank you for joining us. I'll write a letter to TK and the paper if you want.

thanks i wrote the city commission, t.k. and the vice president of research. i think we all should join in and keep the momentum going. i feel tallahassee is going in the right direction, and also feel our citizens deserve the best. california and north carolina are investing in their schools, and their is no reason not to follow their lead. education is one engine that drives the economy and support is needed.

glad to be on the board.

sincerely,

gibson

gibson

Gibson, welcome.

I think the University Park is dead. FSU decided to move on and is now using what little land is left to place athletic facilities there. That pretty much kills University Park at IP.

I don't think there is much that can be done to get a research park going in the area. I wish I was wrong.

You will see a revitalized gaines street, moving downtown, and a PAC though.

Gibson, welcome.

I think the University Park is dead. FSU decided to move on and is now using what little land is left to place athletic facilities there. That pretty much kills University Park at IP.

I don't think there is much that can be done to get a research park going in the area. I wish I was wrong.

thanks st. joe....

is there anything to get this on the issue board?

i emailed several people with regard to it. i think the area needs it and it makes no sense for there not to be one here in tallahassee.

thanks for your comments

gibson

Gibson, welcome.

st. joe, how do you post a new topic....can

This saddens me very much that a University Research Park is dead. :cry:

stjoe didn't you have the great idea for FSU to team up w/St. Joe to form a research park out on their land somewhere? I think that was a great idea, but as you said b4 stjoe T.K. doesn't have the vision or interest for that. So the big question is how do we get around T.K. and get the University interested in this type of project again?

I'm in South Florida currently and I see off I-95 that FAU in Deerfield Beach (a different city and county than they are located in) is forming a new research park there.

This saddens me very much that a University Research Park is dead. :cry:

stjoe didn't you have the great idea for FSU to team up w/St. Joe to form a research park out on their land somewhere? I think that was a great idea, but as you said b4 stjoe T.K. doesn't have the vision or interest for that. So the big question is how do we get around T.K. and get the University interested in this type of project again?

I'm in South Florida currently and I see off I-95 that FAU in Deerfield Beach (a different city and county than they are located in) is forming a new research park there.

hello poonther, we need a research park period, and i feel the city and the commission should take it up the issue again. what i want to know is what can we do as members of this board to get things circulating again and make it a topic for discussion. we need this to make tallahassee a viable economically diverse place. i want to see this become a reality.

sincerely,

gabe

Gibson, welcome.

st joe, i contacted the leon county commissioners expressing concern over the issue. i will get back to the board and let you know what they said.

sincerely,

g

Gabe,

...if I may call you that, I personally don't think its too late to resurrect the idea of a research park, especailly if one is able to articulate the benifits of having one in this community. Thus far I see a need for us to be in a better position to compete with other communities now with research parks already going or underway. What would it hurt to allow it back into our dialouge? I can almost asure you, if nothing else, we'll get the city talking about it again.

Gibson,

I just sent a letter to all city and county commissioners. Hopefully one of them will be moved by something I had to say and mention it under sharing of ideas at the next commission meeting.

Here's what I wrote:

February 14, 2006

Dear Commissioners:

Thanks to your vision, and hard work Tallahassee is back on track to compete in today

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FAU gets a teaching hospital while FSU's med school is floundering. Why FSU doesn't try (or try harder) to get something done with TMH or even TCH (or whatever it is now) is beyond me. Hate to blugeon a dead horse, but their is not an once of decent leadership in this whole damn county. I think having the Med School in Tally was the first mistake.

FSU getting surpassed.

I didn't get a chance to read the artcle. But does it really say FSU's medical school is floundering?

No not at all. I think that is BCH's feeling/opinion after the reading the article. I don't think it's floundering, but we don't have a teaching hospital that is correct.

I'll agree that a teaching hospital is essential to having a more competitive Med school. I honestly think we are facing a good opportunity to provide medical care to West Tallahassee with the development of a new FSU Based teaching hospital located somewhere along CCSW or NW. A hospital on this side of town is sorely needed to handle our city's growth and the rise population of both Western Tallahassee and the Midway / Gadsden County area.

^Agreed, but right now looks like our next hospital will go up in the Southside development that St. Joe is proposing. Maybe they can team w/FSU?????

BTW has anyone be through that huge housing development they are building in Midway? I've only seen it from I-10, but it goes on for at least a mile. Also I'm not a fan of the name Midway (yeah I know it's located midway between Tally and Quincy,) I wish before their town grows too much (they are projected in 10 years to be the largest city in Gadsden) that they'd rename it. Any ideas for a new city name?

Hey I haven't posted here in a while (I mostly just lurk around and read), but I wanted to drop by to let everyone know that the first phase of the new Psychology building at FSU is complete. Being a pysch major there I know everyone's really excited about the move! I think the professors can officially move into the building August 2.

Information, renderings, photos and a construction webcam can be found at www.psy.fsu.edu

Archived