School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad that Jefferson Street is now open again from Woodward to Pensacola! Instead of the hard turn, there is now a roundabout in place.

Wildwood Drive will be rerouted behind the new halls, but that hasn't started yet. It will tie into the new roundabout.

Nice update there! Thanks moxwax.

What will become of the old building? Anyone know? Good Guesses?

Well, the old buildings (Kellogg, Eppes) are in use until they finish phase 2 of the new building. After that, since Eppes is so close to Westcott I think it will become another administrative building. I don't know about Kellogg.

• 2 weeks later...

"There is never really a good time to play Miami," he said, referring to the Seminoles' struggles against the Hurricanes the past six years. "Whether it's the first game, or later, there's never a good time."

I bet that made many Can'es fans all warm and fuzzy inside... :(

It's called psychology. You want them to think "they" are much much much better so when you actually play them they under estimate you. The expectations are high for them, low for you and you play the game with very little to loose. I figure he thinks the team does better playing that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Very cool news! It would be killer if this came through for us. The two other cities in the running have already gotten their rewards: West Palm(Scripps) and Orlando(Burnham.) That only leaves us and Port St. Lucie, which IMHO is no contest when it comes to Biomedical since that area only has a community college.

I hope they don't decide that O-town and WPB are better choices since Bio-med. stuff is already happening there. I do hope ole JEB! will come to bat for us, but I won't hold my breath on that one. If they can invest $300 million for 300 Burnham jobs in O-town, surely they can come up w/some big cash for us.

It's our turn now!

Bill Law is such an asset to this community regardless of what happens w/this deal. Other higher education presidents in the area could learn a lot from him.

But I'm not so sure this isn't a done deal w/Boca Raton???? :unsure:

Now here's something worthy of a new thread and no one makes one. Fine with me I suppose! :D

I think Tallahassee surely has its advantages in this race. It will be interesting to get more details and see how things shake out. I hear JEB will be on the news tonight giving his opinion on the work Tallahassee/Leon County have done to diversify the local economy.

JEB was on the news tonight, WCTV, saying he has long advocated for the creation of a "3rd leg" in Tallahassee's economy for a while but he wasn't specific in his comments.

I honestly don't think he gives a hoot about Tallahassee, or the economy here, else he would have given more advance of his desire to privitize jobs and allow local business leaders an opportunity to set up companies to take advantage.

This is awesome NEWS!!! I truly hope the Governor helps us to land this facility after all the downsizing done in Tallahassee. This would be a incredible win for FSU, FAMU, TCC, and the all of the Tallahassee Region!

FAU has already offered 3.1 mil for this, so that will have to be topped if this has a chance. I know everyone is thinking another partnership between FAMU and FSU could get it done, but considering the subpar (to put it kindly) FSU/FAMU COE, I doubt the two schools will be chomping at the bit for a union.

You can go to WCTV's website and see the video clip from last night's news on this subject. While I agree w/all JEB! has to say about the subject and Tally, again for me, it's how he says it. The guy just seems to be too smug about it, like he's kinda talking down. But I have always felt that way when he talks. Notice whenever JEB! gives an interview, he never looks at the cameras, his eyes just dart around. I've noticed that for 8 yrs. I was always told that was a sign of someone telling a lie.

I think Torrey Pines is really only considering a true partnership w/FSU since they have biomedical programs. They have been offered land off of Orange Ave. near Seminole Golf Course as a bldg. site. I think FSU offered that land up instead of something in Innovation Park to make the process easier and faster. If they offered a site directly in Innovation Park, wouldn't they have to get FAMU more involved? I don't think they are trying to slight FAMU w/that approach, just make the process happen faster.

T.P. says they sent a letter of intent to St. Lucie, but that was just a formality and doesn't really mean anything. Not sure how to take that. We definitely have more "intellectual capital" here than they do in PSL and Ft. Pierce.

Our pro points are FSU and the fact that FSU could allow them to start working here before the end of the year.

Our negative points are no direct air connect to CA, but that can't be helped. PSL doesn't have that either, but they are closer to airports that do like PBIA. Our fighting between the city/county and FSU I'm sure they've heard of plus the fighting between the Chem. professor and FSU. Would you want to bring your biz to link up w/an university that is in a legal battle w/the guy who invented Taxol? Not saying who is right or wrong here, just that the situation looks bad. Also the site location. I'm sure the other cities have offered more appealing sites than our Orange Ave. This is where we need an attractive research park to attract these type of businesses. It would nice if St. Joe offered a more appealing piece of land over in the Southwood development or hey even in the new Southside. Even Summit East is more attractive than Orange Ave., but not sure they have room for it. Maybe T.P. needs to be really close to FSU too.

Bottom line, I've not got my hopes up for this one either. I am glad to be considered and it shows we are attracting attention. If we lose this one, we need to learn from it and why we lost it and fix those problems ASAP. All the local problems we have talked about on UP (infighting, no research park etc) maybe the very reasons why we lose this one.

Again I can't sing the praises of Bill Law enough!

I agree with every word Poonther. I'll second your high remarks for Bill Law also.

Nothing is wrong with FSU taking the lead on this issue. In my opinion, having the ability to raise money the way the University does should allow it to offer a more delicious incentive package than $3 Million.

St Joe also has that park off of Capital Circle near the airport, all set and ready to build on. If being near the airport is important, this could be a great location for them. Plus its not far from Innovation Park.

If we don't get the research institiution, I hope they tell us where we lack so we can work on a few things. This is why it is so important to me that we have a pro-growth City AND County commission.

"Boca Raton will provide $3 million in cash, $10 million in land, and $1 million worth of leased space while the Torrey Pines permanent main building is built off Spanish River Boulevard. The county would kick in $25 million; up from $21 million to build the building, Florida Atlantic University would kick in $6.5 million, including some in-kind services, all totaling $46.5 million."

Tally will need almost 50 mil to have a chance.

Boca wants it more

What the area lacks is a major research park (with 1,000-2,000 acres...mostly 'buildable') attached to a major research university that runs the park. Until you do that and put all your major players on it....you will never build the critical mass you need to make a small area a player. Neither local govt nor FSU has provide the vision needed to make a good research park possible.

The fact they are avoiding Innovation Park should underscore the issues it has. 1. Not enough buildable land 2. The governing structure has been a failure.

That said, it sounds like Tally is closee with this one and it would be a huge win. I really want it for FSU.

Archived