School: Florida State University

csmurphy8885

NCAA MUST OVERTURN THIER RULING! :angry: FSU will be the seminoles... period. There is too much support and tradition to alter the present. I believe that T.K. Will be able to handle the situation. I will picket thier ruling if it comes down to it. We have established a great relationship with the tribe. they support the partnership. Why should anyone else matter. Maybe they should make it illegal to harm other teams mascotts instead? Long Live Osceola!

unconquered_unveiled.jpg

Osceola.jpg

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

INSANITY is a good word to describe what the ncaa is trying to accomplish. While were at lets get rid of the Yankees, Braves, Indians, Buccanears, Saints and anyother team with a human for a mascot. I think a saint is as controversial as an indian. being politically correct blows.

My High school (rickards in tallahassee) change mascots from a Redskin to a Raider... from a native american to a Rape and Conquerer. Though, i voted for the Rickards Racoon, which was supported by the majority of students... it had some different racial problems. There are still students who refuse the new mascott, and print new Rickards Redskin shirts.

My High school (rickards in tallahassee)  change mascots from a Redskin to a Raider... from a native american to a Rape and Conquerer.  Though, i voted for the Rickards Racoon, which was supported by the majority of students... it had some different racial problems.  There are still students who refuse the new mascott, and print new Rickards Redskin shirts.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you know that the word redskin to native americans is like the word n word to blacks? I did my history fair project on AIM( American Indian Movement) it is such an insult to call a native american redskin.

In terms of FSU's future plans to expand or to utilize what it currently has to the max, I've noticed they've shut down the dormitory across the street from campus just near the Tennessee St. McDonalds... McGraff I think, there is also a project under construction at the corner of Call and Bryant, in addition to the restoration work going on Near the School's Southgate.

FSU would really benifit from a renissance of sorts along the Pensacola Strip where all of those "old homes" and dirty frat houses are.

• 5 months later...

TK Speaks out on Tallahassee and the Future of FSU

By T.J. Lewis {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} Special to UrbanPlanet-Tallahassee

SonyShots160.jpg

The other day my Real Estate professor invited the class to attend a Q & A session with Dr. Thomas Kent Wetherell, President of FSU. The session took place in the school of business.

Mr. Wetherell began his speech by saying "If you really want to do something great for FSU, you'd make it a reservation". Referring to an Indian Reservation. He explained how our University mascott has ties to the Seminoles and how they live on reservations, exempt from all growth management laws of the cities, counties, states, and federal government. He said, "We want to be a soverign nation" referring to the University. He even went as far as saying he doesn't see slot machines as a bad thing, jokingly.

Mr Wetherell reports he is happy with the progress of the University since he took over. And namely the progress being done with construction. Over $1.5 Billion have gone into the projects recently completed or underway on the FSU campus. Among these projects are a new general class room building, a new school of medicine, a new school of chemistry, a bio/pyschology school, plans to expand the Thaggard Health Complex into something more closely resembling a Hospital than a campus pit stop.

Mr. Wetherell even thru out the idea of the county passing a referendum approving a half cent sales tax extension that would make it possible for the Univeristy to raise money to provide health care to the underserved in the community. He says with a University 39,000 students strong, there is no reason why the measure shouldn't pass. He's even offered to throw an all night pizza party to get people into the voting spirit.

The President also mentioned the construction going on at DeGraff and Wildwood halls. There are two new dining facilities coming to campus, one of which will allow students to purchase alcoholic beverages with approved ID, much like a sports bar. He spoke about the new bus services, and the new negotiation he and the campus are working with StarMetro to bring. He says the small busses should hit campus soon, but he's in talks with Disney to bring a transit system to the campus that would run a route along a proposed inner loop around the school, that route yet to be determined.

The president hopes to shut down off street parking along College Avenue in order to make the corridor more attractive and "student friendly". He also drew attention to the condo projects going up around the campus and suggested we each take a look at them, and if we'd like to live in one for us to buy and not rent, and also encouraged us not to sell ours if we buy it. (Good advise, if I'm allowed to say so).

I asked the President about the role he and FSU are playing in the City's efforts to bring high paying jobs to the community to serve graduating students and an underemployed population. He became critical of the city, county leadership saying they offer FSU nothing to do more in this community where other cities do. He says the University is being taken for granted and he'd like to see that end. The president conceds that talks between the University and the City are improving, but just that. He would like to see more financial support come from Tallahassee government, and businesses willing to support the expansion of FSU and her growth in order for him to be in the position to help bring more money to this community. This sounds like a measure for discussion.

Do you, or do you not think the City of Tallahassee, Leon County, the Tallahassee Chamber, and Local Businesses do enough for the universities?

After hearing him speak, I personally see room for improvement.

Great summary TJ! Thanks for doing that for us.

I have a built in bias against the T.K. as you well know so I don't know if I'm reading more into this than is there. In your report you quote T.K. several times and every time you do, well the man just sounds arrogant, cocky and sometimes flippant. Is that what you felt too? What about others in the classroom? How did they react to him? I'm sure some of them were just "star struck." Anyway, the man made some very good points and I feel all of them are valid and hold merit. However my question is and has always been, is he the type of leader that can truly accomplish these goals? I know he would be in a vacuum, but in the real world of working together, is he the right man for the job?

Also did he cite an example or two of how FSU is being taken for granted? While I agree w/many things, I'm not sure I agree that FSU is being taken for granted. I would have loved some examples here.

All in all T.K. is quick to point the finger of blame at others (as always) but is he dedicated to this mission enough to be a partner? To compromise on a few points? Or does he just wanna be The King?

Again great job!

Great summary TJ! Thanks for doing that for us.

I have a built in bias against the T.K. as you well know so I don't know if I'm reading more into this than is there. In your report you quote T.K. several times and every time you do, well the man just sounds arrogant, cocky and sometimes flippant. Is that what you felt too? What about others in the classroom? How did they react to him? I'm sure some of them were just "star struck." Anyway, the man made some very good points and I feel all of them are valid and hold merit. However my question is and has always been, is he the type of leader that can truly accomplish these goals? I know he would be in a vacuum, but in the real world of working together, is he the right man for the job?

Also did he cite an example or two of how FSU is being taken for granted? While I agree w/many things, I'm not sure I agree that FSU is being taken for granted. I would have loved some examples here.

All in all T.K. is quick to point the finger of blame at others (as always) but is he dedicated to this mission enough to be a partner? To compromise on a few points? Or does he just wanna be The King?

Again great job!

Thanks Poonther. I think I felt the same arrogance, flippance that you percieve. I was surprised that he would say some of the things he said in front of the class, but it made for good note taking. He continues to pursue this "city within a city" business. I'm not sure I'm all to crazy about that view, it sounds devisive, as if he doesn't want FSU associated with Tallahassee.

He cited Naples and Indian River county as examples of communities welcoming FSU to promote economic development in their communities. He says the University annoucned plans for a remote medical school/clinic in those locations and all sorts of people began to throw money at the University. He says in Tallahassee, FSU is expected to Pay-Pay and Pay. I just wrote it down... I don't buy it. He knows good and well that this community gives to that University in more ways than I have fingers. I'm starting to feel it is FSU that takes this community for granted. No matter how we look at it, the simple thought that this is even a debate shows how big a problem this for us if we're ever going to learn to work together.

I don't remember much from our previous president, but was the previous president this controversial?

Thanks Poonther. I think I felt the same arrogance, flippance that you percieve. I was surprised that he would say some of the things he said in front of the class, but it made for good note taking. He continues to pursue this "city within a city" business. I'm not sure I'm all to crazy about that view, it sounds devisive, as if he doesn't want FSU associated with Tallahassee.

He cited Naples and Indian River county as examples of communities welcoming FSU to promote economic development in their communities. He says the University annoucned plans for a remote medical school/clinic in those locations and all sorts of people began to throw money at the University. He says in Tallahassee, FSU is expected to Pay-Pay and Pay. I just wrote it down... I don't buy it. He knows good and well that this community gives to that University in more ways than I have fingers. I'm starting to feel it is FSU that takes this community for granted. No matter how we look at it, the simple thought that this is even a debate shows how big a problem this for us if we're ever going to learn to work together.

I don't remember much from our previous president, but was the previous president this controversial?

Well the previous president was involved in the tent city thing, when I was a freshman... :dontknow:

Ok... I rememeber this! Did he have any ongoing battles with the governments?

I never really paid attention. :unsure: I was too busy at the time dealing with pothead roommates, working and paying bills, and a heavy schedule.

I was also new to the area and doing the typical "OMG!!! Tallahassee is the Suxxor!" thing that most students do. :whistling:

Suxxor, thats a new one!! I never understand those students who do that. Don't they do their homework before they choose their college?! :D

Sandy was the one who had the idea of FSU building its own research park right? Do you think things would have turned out differently if he could have stuck around to see his vision thru?

I moved to Tally during Sandy's tenture as prez. I thought all in all he was a good prez and much less controversial than T.K. His style was not to bully but to compromise. He brought Tally and FSU Seven Days and Seven Nights. It was his idea to build all new buildings in the Gothic style (I think that's what it is) of Wescott and that part of campus. He's the reason why the med. school looks like it does. He was a local raised in Tally and Chattahoochee, but had lived many years in Miami and understood the whole town/gown give and take situation. T.K. only understands the take IMO. Sandy was at one time the prez. of the American Bar Association and he seemed much more of a scholar and a gentleman than the current cocky bully, I mean prez.

Sandy was a great president...I agree.

"Sandy was the one who had the idea of FSU building its own research park right? Do you think things would have turned out differently if he could have stuck around to see his vision thru?"

Sandy insisted FSU run the research park...the COT disagreed. They felt FAMU, TCC, and the COT should all have equal say in the research park. The COT indicated they would not turn over the land they own at the park (or "University Park") if FSU ran it. FSU believed that if you have 3 or 4 Chiefs, then you have NO chief. The same reason why Innovation Park is not successful.

So why Sandy was good with compromise, sharing leadership was not something he was willing to give in on. That killed University Park. TK came in and just thought it was too expensive....which is short sighted on his part.

Archived