Fort Lauderdale's skyline to expand, again

Aessotariq

Fort Lauderdale about to experience another boom!

Soon, development in the heart of this city will add 5,681 new condos or apartments at prices up to $5 million, adding an estimated 9,600 residents.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/sou...-home-headlines

Skyline diagram included...

ftlaudskylinenew6iw.th.jpg

Related UrbanPlanet.org topics: Miami Skyscraper Interactive Map {sodEmoji.{sodEmoji.|}} West Palm Beach condo boom

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he was thinking of "Fort" Lauderdale... that "fort" was built in the late 1830s during the Second Seminole War and is long gone. Incidentally, the fort and by extension, the city, is named after Major William Lauderdale, who helped establish that fort.

I'm sure it consisted of little more than a wooden fence with a few buildings. Imagine if Miami was still called Fort Dallas. There is actually a small portion of that is still in Miami today, though moved from it's original location.

Here's the story on "Fort" Lauderdale

"The city of Fort Lauderdale is named for a Second Seminole War fortification built on the banks of New River in 1838. In that year, Major William Lauderdale led a detachment of Tennessee Volunteers south along the east coast of Florida to capture Seminole agricultural lands and battle the elusive Indian warriors. Altogether, three Fort Lauderdales would be constructed: the first at the fork of New River; the second at Tarpon Bend; and the largest on the beach at the site of today

• 3 weeks later...

While I heartily applaud the construction of high-rise living units in downtown Fort Lauderdale, I do think they ought to be more careful about where they allow them. Plunking a 37 story tower immediately next to the Stranahan House wasn't a very bright idea. The Las Olas Riverfront is said to be "failing" because the owners simply want to put more condos on the property. Why not have both? Shops, restaurants and condos should all go hand in hand for a vibrant urban picture. I just think Lauderdale needs to take stock of what they are doing before allowing EVERY building project to proceed.

While I heartily applaud the construction of high-rise living units in downtown Fort Lauderdale, I do think they ought to be more careful about where they allow them.  Plunking a 37 story tower immediately next to the Stranahan House wasn't a very bright idea.  The Las Olas Riverfront is said to be "failing" because the owners simply want to put more condos on the property.  Why not have both?  Shops, restaurants and condos should all go hand in hand for a vibrant urban picture.  I just think Lauderdale needs to take stock of what they are doing before allowing EVERY building project to proceed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

While I respect your views, the 42st condo will be built on an eyesore of a srface parking lot (and abandoned grocery store). And Riverfront is said to have been ailing quite apart from any desire to build high-rises there.

Your point about the Las Olas Riverfront is well taken. I do wish the stores and restaurants there were better. Why do they build these places, fill them with trash like "Yummy Yogurt" and then wonder why nobody ever shops in them? My point is simply that Fort Lauderdale needs to slow down and carefully evaluate plans before embracing them. More high rises in downtown FL? Absolutely! I'm merely suggesting that the Stranahan House deserves a better neighbor than a 38 story condo.

Your point about the Las Olas Riverfront is well taken.  I do wish the stores and restaurants there were better.  Why do they build these places, fill them with trash like "Yummy Yogurt" and then wonder why nobody ever shops in them?  My point is simply that Fort Lauderdale needs to slow down and carefully evaluate plans before embracing them.  More high rises in downtown FL?  Absolutely!  I'm merely suggesting that the Stranahan House deserves a better neighbor than a 38 story condo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you. And you know, I was never impressed with the tenant mix at Riverfront. Ironically, perhaps, *now* FTL is ready for a higher quality retail center, something along the lines of WPB's City Place, albeit not as large.

I think Ft Lauderdale's skyline is already overlooked and underrated by the other Fla cities. There was a poll somewhere about the skylines of Fla cities excluding Miami and everyone was voting for Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando.

I think the problem is that you rarely see pics of the skyline. Does anybody have any good pics of the skyline?

I think Ft Lauderdale's skyline is already overlooked and underrated by the other Fla cities.  There was a poll somewhere about the skylines of Fla cities excluding Miami and everyone was voting for Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando.

I think the problem is that you rarely see pics of the skyline.  Does anybody have any good pics of the skyline?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My feelings exactly.

None of these threads seem to really have what I would call a definitive view of the Ft. Lauderdale skyline.

If anyone has one, please post it here, would look great to see in contrast to Miami skyline photos we have

I'll see what I can do... there aren't many vantage points from up high where you can get the entire skyline safely or without getting shooed away.

This is the best one I have that I've personally taken, about 3 miles away as the crow flies, which gives you an idea of how far it extends:

ftlaudskyline8ic.jpg

Archived