Fort Lauderdale's skyline to expand, again

Aessotariq

I think Ft Lauderdale's skyline is already overlooked and underrated by the other Fla cities.  There was a poll somewhere about the skylines of Fla cities excluding Miami and everyone was voting for Jacksonville, Tampa, and Orlando.

I think the problem is that you rarely see pics of the skyline.  Does anybody have any good pics of the skyline?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was an old adage in 1980s Dallas and Houston that "the state bird of Texas is the construction crane". I think that is certainly true of Florida now.

Ft Lauderdale's skyline in the 3 times I've seen it in the last 3 years or so always had at least 3 major buildings being constructed. In 5-10 years it will be the biggest skyline in Florida outside of Miami, even with Tampa about to really start going vertical. The mix of residential and office components adds so much to Ft Lauderdale's development compared to the other cities.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for almost 9 years before moving in Aug 2004 to Sarasota; I've also lived in Jacksonville and through traveling regularly see other Florida Cities skylines.

Fort Lauderdale virutally had no skyline when I moved there in 1995. Now, that's changed and is still changing with a huge challenge and "in your face" to other Florida cities outside of Miami.

With more buildings proposed, Fort Lauderdale clearly will be the number 2 skyline in Florida; Tampa right now is number 2, but Ft. Lauderdale is nudging Tampa big time. Orlando is probably the slackest city right now building-wise. St. Petersburg is on the move as is Jacksonville. If I rated cities right now judging on how their skyline look and what they have proposed or planned on the boards, here it is:

1) Miami

2) Ft. Lauderdale

3) Tampa

4) Jacksonville

5) St. Petersburg

6) Orlando

7) Fort Myers

8) Sarasota

Anybody disagree?

What is also amazing to me is that Ft. Lauderdale's skyline is expanding North of Broward and more east of Andrews and U.S. 1. I always thought more would be building on South of the New River; but it appears that developers, planners and City Leaders are looking at the semi-blighted area north of Broward Boulevard. Maybe their trying to change that areas image and appearance!

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for almost 9 years before moving in Aug 2004 to Sarasota; I've also lived in Jacksonville and through traveling regularly see other Florida Cities skylines.

Fort Lauderdale virutally had no skyline when I moved there in 1995.  Now, that's changed and is still changing with a huge challenge and "in your face" to other Florida cities outside of Miami.

With more buildings proposed, Fort Lauderdale clearly will be the number 2 skyline in Florida; Tampa right now is number 2, but Ft. Lauderdale is nudging Tampa big time.  Orlando is probably the slackest city right now building-wise.  St. Petersburg is on the move as is Jacksonville.  If I rated cities right now judging on how their skyline look and what they have proposed or planned on the boards, here it is:

1)  Miami

2)  Ft. Lauderdale

3)  Tampa

4)  Jacksonville

5)  St. Petersburg

6)  Orlando

7)  Fort Myers

8)  Sarasota

Anybody disagree?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No doubt that FTL's climbing up the ranks. The jury's still out though. Beyond the current transformative wave of highrises, it remains to be seen what will follow. for instance, the hyde Park project should have been underway by now. Instead, I hear that it wont break ground until next year, if it breaks ground. Add to this the fact that Broward County is the epicenter of florida NIMBYism.

Also remember that other Florida cities are not standing pat.

But let me be clear that I'm a fan of FTL and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to see it prosper.

Miami's skyline is just so far ahead of all the others it hardly needs to be mentioned.

Current In 5 years

1. Miami Miami

2. Tampa Ft. Lauderdale

3. Jacksonville Tampa

4. Ft. Lauderdale Orlando

5. Orlando Jacksonville

6. St. Pete St. Pete

I might even put Orlando above Tampa in 5 years due to beter density if most of the proposed projects are built.

No doubt that FTL's climbing up the ranks. The jury's still out though. Beyond the current transformative wave of highrises, it remains to be seen what will follow. for instance, the hyde Park project should have been underway by now. Instead, I hear that it wont break ground until next year, if it breaks ground. Add to this the fact that Broward County is the epicenter of florida NIMBYism.

Also remember that other Florida cities are not standing pat.

But let me be clear that I'm a fan of FTL and it wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit to see it prosper.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

But it is prospering, it is....BIG TIME! And more than Jax, St. Pete or Orlando, and though I lived in Lauderdale all those years, I am still a Jax, FL fan; rooting for Jax and Fort Lauderdale to prosper and have New York/Miami type skylines.

Tampa is the biggest hurdle for Ft. Lauderdale but I see more mid to high rise skyscrapers in Ft. Lauderdale, and Tampa has one or two talls on the board with a couple of mid sized scrapers. Ft. Lauderdale clearly has the edge when it comes to numbers and numbers of mid-sized to tall scrapers on the table.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

Miami's skyline is just so far ahead of all the others it hardly needs to be mentioned.

Current              In 5 years

1. Miami                  Miami

2. Tampa                  Ft. Lauderdale

3. Jacksonville          Tampa

4. Ft. Lauderdale        Orlando

5. Orlando                Jacksonville

6. St. Pete                St. Pete

I might even put Orlando above Tampa in 5 years due to beter density if most of the proposed projects are built.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sorry but I just don't see Orlando overtaking Jax, whether it's projects-wise or in tallness.

Jax has some real "gutsy" projects on the table. Orlando has some projects on the board but they are in the low to mid-sized range and not a lot of them in shear numbers.

On the other hand, Jax has a few high rises and a few "talls" on the board/plans.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

But it is prospering, it is....BIG TIME!  And more than Jax, St. Pete or Orlando, and though I lived in Lauderdale all those years, I am still a Jax, FL fan; rooting for Jax and Fort Lauderdale to prosper and have New York/Miami type skylines. 

Tampa is the biggest hurdle for Ft. Lauderdale but I see more mid to high rise skyscrapers in Ft. Lauderdale, and Tampa has one or two talls on the board with a couple of mid sized scrapers.  Ft. Lauderdale clearly has the edge when it comes to numbers and numbers of mid-sized to tall scrapers on the table.

FLORIDA SKYRISE ORDER

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I suppose I should have said 'continue to prosper'.

But I continue to maitain that the jury's still out. Remember, FTL had a significant jumpstart over cities like Tampa and Orlando. Orlando alone has at least thirty highrises planned or u/c downtown.

Fort Lauderdale virutally had no skyline when I moved there in 1995.  Now, that's changed and is still changing with a huge challenge and "in your face" to other Florida cities outside of Miami.

This might seem like a stretch at the moment, but I wouldn't be surprised if high-rises or midrises extended as far north as Sunrise Blvd. They're already heading toward Sistrunk.

It all depends on how the land use designations and distribution of housing units are done. Cities control zoning, but Broward County regulates land use and density changes on a countywide basis. Ultimately it will depend on getting decent mass transit into the area. A greater number of higher-density units would be approved if this was already there. Next year a one-penny sales tax is going on the ballot for light-rail and other projects... It has overwhelming support on the county commission; hopefully voters will approve this as well.

Nonetheless, it's amazing to see so many places in this metro boom like there's no tomorrow...

I know Tampa has a few buildings in the 50 story range proposed, and quite a few others in the 20 story range. Orlando has approx. 15 building in the 30 story range either under construction or proposed. I'm not as familiar with what Jax has proposed or under construction. Can you fill in.......?

I know Tampa has a few buildings in the 50 story range proposed, and quite a few others in the 20 story range. Orlando has approx. 15 building in the 30 story range either under construction or proposed. I'm not as familiar with what Jax has proposed or under construction. Can you fill in.......?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Orlando currently has at least 15 in the 30-40 story range u/c and planned.

Orlando is probably the slackest city right now building-wise.  St. Petersburg is on the move as is Jacksonville.  If I rated cities right now judging on how their skyline look and what they have proposed or planned on the boards, here it is:

From time to time I see some pretty ridiculous quotes and opinions expressed throughout these forums. Very rarely do I feel compeled to try to rebute any of these. This however has to be one of the most unfactual statements recently. To say that Orlando is the "slackest city" is crazy. Grant it we don't have the tallest projects around but we do however have most Florida cities beat in the proposed number of projects. Take a look around any of these boards, you will be hard pressed to find a city outside of Miami that proposes more buildings than Orlando. Some get built some don't that's development. As stated in an earlier post most Florida cities have a huge jump over Orlando in the number of years that our downtowns have been getting developed.

Residential units proposed or u/c in downtown Jax stand pat to pat with what's going on in every Florida city outside of Miami. However, unlike the others, Jax had a decent sized downtown 70 years ago and many new proposals involve renovating older highrise and midrise buildings, that have sat vacant or underutilized for years, into residential use.

Then Jax also has the trump card, considering the mega Shipyard's, Southside Generation Station and San Marco Riverwalk proposals. All will have over 1,000 units and several highrises, if built out as planned (San Marco Riverwalk, alone has 5 towers 30 stories or higher).

Fort Lauderdale's got a lot going on, but since the other cities do too, I seriously doubt it skyline grows to overtake the others, anytime soon.

Florida's definately the place to be for a skyscraper fan.

Oh, and you're misinformed in that Orlando has tons more highrises planned and u/c than Jax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It would be interesting for forumers, from each city to accurately list all of the highrise developments and number of units, underway or planned in their downtowns, to see where they really stand in relation to the other citie's booms. However, this would probably be better in a new thread in the General Florida section.

It would be interesting for forumers, from each city to accurately list all of the highrise developments and number of units, underway or planned in their downtowns, to see where they really stand in relation to the other citie's booms.  However, this would probably be better in a new thread in the General Florida section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would be interesting for comparison.

I like all the Florida cities and it's great watching them all grow.

It would be interesting for forumers, from each city to accurately list all of the highrise developments and number of units, underway or planned in their downtowns, to see where they really stand in relation to the other citie's booms.  However, this would probably be better in a new thread in the General Florida section.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have somewhat of a list put together for South Florida's three counties ( and ), which lists the individual projects but doesn't total the number of units... It's still pretty incomplete and needs some serious updating, which I plan on doing when I have more time (there actually is life outside the forum, I've learned. B)) One list that forumer dave8721 has compiled for Miami-Dade County lists about 372 buildings over 10 stories either u/c or complete within the past few years.

Archived