Fort Lauderdale's skyline to expand, again

Aessotariq

I'm not understanding all of this aversion to height... :blink: The "density/height=bad" crowd is really getting on my nerves. I honestly can't see how the Stranahan House could be impacted negatively by this project.. It's not as if there aren't already high-rises around it. Plus it's surrounded by a fence, so it's not like it's very welcoming right now.

On another note, it's interesting how, for a while, there have been two new tallest buildings in Broward and neither of them have been in Fort Lauderdale, the first one was the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood and now some tower in Hallandale Beach whose name escapes me right now...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Larry, what do you know about the site just north of the Las Olas Riverhouse? Last I went there it was fenced off and looked like it was being prepped for something. Plus the Riverhouse has a blank wall. Looks like a great place for some retail shops.

Also (Dale!), this might be a sign of progress, the 200 Brickell site has construction site signs posted on it now... maybe we're going to see something finally? I don't know if the project finally got approved or not.

Hey Larry, what do you know about the site just north of the Las Olas Riverhouse? Last I went there it was fenced off and looked like it was being prepped for something. Plus the Riverhouse has a blank wall. Looks like a great place for some retail shops.

Also (Dale!), this might be a sign of progress, the 200 Brickell site has construction site signs posted on it now... maybe we're going to see something finally? I don't know if the project finally got approved or not.

Thanks for the heads up on 200 Brickell !

I think that corner of 2nd St and Andrews is being developed into offices (a mid rise like 10 stories or something), If I remember correctly I saw a sign for the new project the last time I was there, it looks very nice, with some deco touches.

Riverhouse will soon have a Morton's Steakhouse on the ground floor and I'm not sure what other kinds of retail shops.

yay! Hopefully now the project will proceed. That site feels like such a void when you walk past it -- just a big gap between the part of Las Olas east of US1 and the CBD part.

In related news, the Herald has picked up on the three developments coming up for approval... It would be really disappointing to see construction come to a halt because of arbitrary limits.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...ty/12749294.htm

yay! Hopefully now the project will proceed. That site feels like such a void when you walk past it -- just a big gap between the part of Las Olas east of US1 and the CBD part.

In related news, the Herald has picked up on the three developments coming up for approval... It would be really disappointing to see construction come to a halt because of arbitrary limits.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/...ty/12749294.htm

Very true. Even the City of Fort Lauderdale sees this, that is why they tried to get more than 10,000 new units approved (and were denied). The downtown area will never be a vibrant 24/7 kind of town without more housing units, because as it is now, most buyers are NOT living in their units, most are out-of-towners and those hoping to make a big profit by flipping the unit. Downtown is still dead after 5pm on a weekday.

And that in and of itself is a catch-22. If only seasonal occupants and/or flippers are buying them, who's gonna be able to convince the city the units are needed/warranted, and then how do you justify putting together enough data to create a proposal to try to satisfy the county's concerns? I'm hoping one of several things happens: if the county's saying there's not enough transportation there, have the city agree to run some of its trolley buses beyond Las Olas and serve the new neighborhoods. Have it connect with the main terminal downtown, go to Tri-Rail even. There's your traffic mitigation. Make it less of a touristy thing -- it's working great in Coral Gables. And with these gas prices? Wouldn't be a bad interim fix while light rail is getting installed.

Well, it is now final. The building that would originally would have been broward's tallest, and was then scalled back to 42 floors, is totally dead. In its place two smaller projects were approved last night, a 28 story condo north of Broward Blvd, and an 11 story building (the 2nd phase of NoLa Lofts). With that, the city is OUT of housing units. No more building in Downtown Fort Lauderdale. Another 3,000 are expected to be granted in March, but when those are approved, the city will have different criteria for developers to meet. You can read the article at Sun-Sentinel by going here: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

North of Holiday Park a new condo/retail complex is coming. Several older buildings will be knocked down. This area is outside of the downtown area, and therefore is not subject to the current "build out." click the link to read the whole article on sun-sentinel.com http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/bro...la-news-broward

Good find... since this thing is going to expire soon, here are some of the details:

Satori will have several buildings at 3, 5, 6, 7, 9 stories high. Development will feature 281 condo units, and 13,253 of retail space. The project was approved unanimously.

The site is located where US1/Federal Hwy bends and briefly "multiplexes" with Sunrise Blvd.

Project is being proposed by Sunrise Investors LLP and Altman Development.

Archived