• Dallas
    • Houston

• 1 month later...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My favorite is Houston. I am there often for business and to visit family, and I love the whole area. It's got a great central skyline, and about 5 other nice skylines surrounding downtown. The city has been pro-active in terms of planning for traffic and other sprawl related problems and its growing by leaps and bounds in terms of population and business every year.

IMO, its just a great city in many many ways.

I really like Dallas and Austin as well, they are both very nice cities.

• 1 month later...

HEY guys I think your forgetting about the nations 8TH largest city SAN ANTONIO.

RANKS:

4th HOUSTON

8th SAN ANTONIO

9th DALLAS

I think its only fair to include SAN ANTONIO in the POLL.

I VOTE SAN ANTONIO~~Thanks!

Nothing against San Antonio... It is a great place and no doubt great things are happening there.

However, it has always been Dallas vs. Houston and it will always be

San Antonio although may have more people now than Dallas, can't compete with what either city has to offer

I voted Dallas for one simple reason... mass transit. Dallas has it, Houston doesn't (not counting buses and the little line in downtown of course). However, if Houston can get on the ball and expand their rail to make it useful I'd definitely have to vote Houston because I like everything else about it much more. However, given that I don't own a car, if i can't get around the city it doesn't really matter how much I like it hence my vote for Dallas :). Also, I grew up in Houston and have only spent minimal time in Dallas so I admit I am biased toward Houston and even a little ignorant about all there is in Dallas.

HEY guys I think your forgetting about the nations 8TH largest city SAN ANTONIO.

RANKS:

4th HOUSTON

8th SAN ANTONIO

9th DALLAS

I think its only fair to include SAN ANTONIO in the POLL.

I VOTE SAN ANTONIO~~Thanks!

Well...

The DFW metroplex has 5.55 million people, Houston has 5.2 million, and SA has 1.85 million.

It's much easier to compare Dallas and Houston than SA to either. The size of the city isn't that important, remember Atlanta and Miami are smaller than El Paso. It's all about how the cities annex early on and how suburban growth develops.

• 2 weeks later...

Which of these two major Texas citys is the best place to live. No definitions of best but please consider cost of living, geographic location, city government, mass transit, economy, etc. Please explain.

dallas, by far. but i could be a little biased, i was born and raised in dallas!

• 2 weeks later...

Its Houston for me , I found it much more interesting and culturally exciting. The Houston Grand Opera is the best in the south and the vast art galleries are addictive. I use to live by Dallas and do all my shopping and going out. Houston has an immense upscale collection of restaraunts and shops and an even more interesting nightlife. I love jogging in Memorial Park and attending a party or soiree at a fabulous house in River Oaks, Memorial or Shadyside. Houston does have great style all the famous socialites in Texas such as the world famous couture clad Lynn Wyatt and wild Becca Cason Thrash hail from Houston. I like Dallas alot I was raised going to Northpark Mall and Highland Park Village every christmas, I just find Houston bigger and more exciting for me. The city has lots of hidden gems such as the Menil and Hermann Park is getting better every year.

Dallas - since all other things are roughly equivalent, Big D ultimately beats Houston on climate.

(Less humid and hurricane proof.)

Dallas hurricane proof? Not so fast! :P

If a tropical system hits the area just right, it can still cause a significant amount of flooding and damage. We're only about 250 miles or so from the coast--a major hurricane can still wreak havoc that far inland...though I'll give you that it won't cause nearly the havoc it could cause in Houston or other areas on the coast! :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Dallas - since all other things are roughly equivalent, Big D ultimately beats Houston on climate.

(Less humid and hurricane proof.)

I will have to go with you on this. I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast for 12 years and the humid is a big factor

for comfort. The only grace was a nice breeze blowing most of the time.

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to want to choose Houston on this, even though I love Dallas as well. The way I see it, they both have the same basic types of attractions, but Houston is much larger and has a much more urban feel about it, while Dallas seems (at least to me) to have a more suburban feel to it. Not to mention, like someone said, Houston is close to the Gulf, making it also a good area for some beach fun. If I had two similar job offers right now, one from Dallas and one from Houston, I believe I'd go with Houston. It would definitely be a toss-up, because like I said, I love both cities. I just think I'd like the urban feel of Houston more.

• 2 months later...

I'll say Dallas. It's far more upscale and trendy than Houston and SA.

That's misleading because the size of SA's city limits is HUGE in comparison to Dallas and Houston where their city limits are smaller because of the annexes.

San Antonio City limits is barely larger than Dallas City limits. San Antonio also covers about 2/3 of Houston proper.

Dallas 385 sq miles

San Antonio 412 sq miles

Houston 601 sq miles

• 3 weeks later...

San Antonio City limits is barely larger than Dallas City limits. San Antonio also covers about 2/3 of Houston proper.

Dallas 385 sq miles

San Antonio 412 sq miles

Houston 601 sq miles

I agree that San Antonio is better than either of them.

The coexistence of minorities PEACEFULLY is amazing,

the city has more of a cultural signature than Dallas or Houston which are more corporate (if you're into that sort of thing)

and it is so easy to get around, so pretty drive around with the hills and trees and plants. I've found both Houston and Dallas to be flat, polluted, and concrete.

San Antonio does a good job of preserving the landscape around it, and it's almost most evident right in the heart of downtown, the riverwalk.

It's great that it's undiscovered by most, however, because the cost of living is lower than Dallas or Houston, and traffic is manageable.

Archived