Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

Tallahassee Regional Airport

TallahasseeRegionalAirportRendering.jpg

In 1929, the City of Tallahassee opened its first municipal airport, Dale Mabry Field. At that time, the airport had one grass landing strip. In 1938-39, the United States Army established a fighter pilot training school at this location and developed three runways to serve their needs. This facility continued to provide military operations and commercial service to the community. The Dale Mabry Field site was abandoned in 1961 when a new facility was completed adjacent to the present airport site. This facility, originally designed to accommodate air traffic needs through 1975, expanded to meet the transportation needs of Florida's capital city and the surrounding region until the late 1980's. On December 3, 1989, the city opened the existing $33 million, airline passenger terminal. The airport anticipates that these facilities and surrounding land development opportunities will enable the Tallahassee Regional Airport to provide world class aviation transportation services for business and leisure travelers well into the next century.

The Tallahassee market area of more than 1.4 million total population includes Tallahassee, eleven neighboring Florida counties and twelve southern Georgia counties. Tallahassee Regional Airport accounts for 32% of air passenger travel in the Northwest Florida Region.

On February 20, 2000 the passenger terminal was officially renamed the Ivan Monroe Terminal in honor of Tallahassee aviation pioneer Ivan Monroe

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Passenger Traffic

Yearly Traffic

Year Total Passengers

2000 933600

2001 853626

2002 1082585

2003 1113243

2004 1155072

Commercial Carriers

Continental Express Airlines

Gulfstream International Airlines

Delta Air Lines

Comair

Northwest Airlink

US Airways Express

Avation looking to add a discount Air Carrier since the departure of AirTran.

I can't wait for the day for the regional airport to become international. How do yall feel about Tallahassee having a direct route to New York City? I think that brings a lot of business opportunities!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the NYC route will definately help to put us on the map. It was great having ATL as a hub route for us, but now that we have NYC we can tap into some of those northerners seeking to travel to a warmer, less congested area of Florida.

I mentioned in another thread a while back that an airport gets an "international" designation when it becomes capable of receiving international cargo or passengers. How do you do that? Well, the USDA as well as U.S. Customs and Immigration have to set up shop at your airport. You could still get domestic flights (to New York, for example) as a "regional" airport, but there has to be some kind of demand for that type of flight first before the airline would want to fly there... chicken vs. egg.

While Ted Turner lives near Tally....he really has not done much with the community at ALL. He is just hear for the low taxes...not really "one of us" so to speak.

I don't know if you will ever see Tally airport going internation because Panama City has a HUGE one being built soon. St Joe kicked it off with a donation of 4,000 acres.

Its not as if Ted is obligated to do anything for Tallahassee, or this area, but Im suire as time passes he will find a project or two to invest in.

As far as the Airport thing is concerned, like Aesstoriq pointed out all we need to do is get a customs office in our airport to be able to call it International. I wouldn't mind if the only internation flight were from here to London. I think we have just as good chance as any Airport from Tallahassee - west to get international status considering we do the greatest percentage of Air travel in North Florida west of Jax.

Its not as if Ted is obligated to do anything for Tallahassee, or this area, but Im suire as time passes he will find a project or two to invest in.

As far as the Airport thing is concerned, like Aesstoriq pointed out all we need to do is get a customs office in our airport to be able to call it International. I wouldn't mind if the only internation flight were from here to London. I think we have just as good chance as any Airport from Tallahassee - west to get international status considering we do the greatest percentage of Air travel in North Florida west of Jax.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I did not mean to imply that Ted was obligated, but I was justing pointing that fact out.

Honestly, most great cities have super wealthy citiizens and companies that drive the cities success. They fund hospitals, universities, huge endowments, etc, etc. Most great citiies have stories of some super rich corp or guy who started endowments at hosptials, universities, etc and today they these cities have billions supporting them.

One of the things holding Tally back are the lack of huge endowments like this or a large culture of philanthropist like this. Not saying people having been generious, but I am talking the degree....like Microsoft in Seatle (and the billionaires fromt he company who fund the area), Vanderbilt (the man, not just the university) in Nashville, Eli Lilly in INdianpolis, etc, etc.

Like you were mentining the banker who showed how much money he had by putting nickels in the brick. But did he give millions to TMH or FSU? Likely not. Tally just doesn't have that same influence.

I'll do some digging into our history, but I believe there was a time when we had wealthy citizens supporting the city. Things have truly changed. The only wealthy investor in our area trying to develop or invest is DeVoe Moore, and locals don't seem to care much for his work. We'll work on trying to dig up some info... this should be interesting.

I'll do some digging into our history, but I believe there was a time when we had wealthy citizens supporting the city. Things have truly changed. The only wealthy investor in our area trying to develop  or invest is DeVoe Moore, and locals don't seem to care much for his work. We'll work on trying to dig up some info... this should be interesting.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We have had some....but not to the degree needed at all...not even close.

No museums in the area have had any great benefactors. Most are struggling to stay open and depend on public funds. Great cities make it happen with billionaires dropping $$$ on them.

Same with great hospitals. TMH is doing OK...but nowhere near most great cities where hosptials are almost swimming in money (I work in health care and can attest to this). Most have hundreds of millions in endowments.

Great universities, for the most part, have billions in endowmnets. None of the higher ed in tally has more than $500 Million. What they do have is very recent. FSU had like $30 Million endowed in the late 80s. In the Northeast there are HIGH SCHOOLS that have more than $1 Billion in endowments.

Devoe Moore has truly been one of the few..if only very generous philantropists in the area...but again, not to the degree many other cities have. For example...he has given FSU in the neighborhood of $10-$20 Million in his lifetime. He might be the largest donor to FSU. But for example, University of Miami recently got ONE $100 Million donation. Univ. of Colorado got a $250 Million donation a couple of years ago.

For the COT to reach it's potential, it needs it's museums, univerisities, hospitals, infrastructures, arts, etc to be boosted by large wealthy donors. It is a cornerstone to the great cities.

building a cultured base of residence will help. People think tally is charming, but not really exciting. If a major donation is made, our regional news might cover it, but that is not 8 figures worth of motivation for private or corporate gifts. We are going to have to do this ourself.

The jobs would be a much better gift for our city i think. Ted Turner should have a tallahassee venture creating the atlanta of the panhandle. And i think Trump would rather just fly over tallahassee going south, he might see a lake or something....l o l

You know thats a great idea, and truly we are the "Atlanta of the panhandle" even at our small size... what city other Than Jax in North FL is larger than us, and Jax isn't in the panhandle. I like the idea of being more of a hub for our region and I do think he should take a more active role in the local business community, if doing nothing more than "Turner-ing" some of his executive buddies on to the charm of our area.

I like the way the airport follows capital circle. It is nice to drive by and have planes low over head. last time i was on that side, i noticed alot of signs for property for sale. I smell the commercial/industrial boom but i dont see any of the signs going down. would creating new tracks into the area help develop it? or is that an old fashioned neccesity>>?

Archived