Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

another business article today at Tallahassee.com THe airport is going downhill! fares are projected to go up higher, and seats decrease for 06....... This doesnt make sense, tallahassee is growing but our airport is faltering...... MARKS NEEEDS TO GET ON THE AIRPORT and do something!

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another business article today at Tallahassee.com THe airport is going downhill! fares are projected to go up higher, and seats decrease for 06....... This doesnt make sense, tallahassee is growing but our airport is faltering...... MARKS NEEEDS TO GET ON THE AIRPORT and do something!

I agree TD, I think our airport IS in trouble. We've got a new North Florida airport coming online in Panama City soon, and the one in Pensacola is doing well now that they've got AirTran. It seems like we're already spending alot of money on things, but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to reposition the airport (build new somewhere else) or do a major overhaul of the one we have. I've found newer airports are doing better these days.

We've definately got to get someone's discount airline to fly in and out of our City. I'd be willing to give Delta the foot if we could get Southwest.

agree TD, I think our airport IS in trouble. We've got a new North Florida airport coming online in Panama City soon, and the one in Pensacola is doing well now that they've got AirTran. It seems like we're already spending alot of money on things, but maybe it wouldn't be such a bad idea to reposition the airport (build new somewhere else) or do a major overhaul of the one we have. I've found newer airports are doing better these days.

We've definately got to get someone's discount airline to fly in and out of our City. I'd be willing to give Delta the foot if we could get Southwest.

I agree, the airport is in trouble, but repositioning the airport by building it somewhere else, I don't think it's the answer. People aren't going to want to fly into Monticello or Blounstown (or wherever the new airport might be) and have to drive all the way into town.......especially when we have poor roads as it is! And there is no advantage in flying into someplace further away.........compared to Washington D.C., where it might be advantageous to fly into BWI instead of National or Dulles.

Rockford, IL, a town about the size of Tallahassee, recently renamed its airport "Chicago-Rockford Airport" despite being over 90 miles from the Loop! They want to get some air traffic siphoned from O'Hare and Midway. Perhaps we could rename our airport the "Jacksonvillle-Tallahassee Airport" :P

i agree. when i fly it's out of jacksonville. even with the two hour drive and gas the fares are still lower than what i'd pay in tallahassee... plus, no speed bumps.

Southwest seems only to serve larger markets or those located near one... Tallahassee seems to be in between larger places but not close enough to make it an attractive (profitable) destination for someone like Southwest.. maybe they'll prove me wrong...

Im definately not a fan of the Tallahassee-Jacksonville Airport! LOL! :lol: I think we're far too isolated to use another city name in with our own. If we want to change it to the Florida Airport or Capital City Airport that would go with me. Just my opinion.

I always make it a point to fly out of my own city. I can't stress how important that is. Yes, we pay more to fly, but if more of us would do it from our own airport that probably wouldn't be the case in the future.

Southwest seems to serve airports that are kinda middle-of-the-road in terms of passenger traffic... your 3-6 Million Passengers a year places. Tallahassee is right at 1 - 1.5 Million a year. I think we could do more work locally to promote our airport. Our airport is just as big as the one I flew into at Flint, MI. The only differences were theirs is International and its almost brand new. Probably no more than 2-3 years old. The newness made a difference. There was a more exciting atmosphere, yet our airport handles more passengers per year. There's got to be something we can do to boost our traffic.

When AirTran was around, the airport was a more exciting place. Matter of fact, they were the only airline that promoted local flight, and when they were here our numbers were soaring. Now we're back to where we were before Maddox was mayor.

Yes, I read that article and found it depressing. Our family is an avid user of TLH. We are going to LA for fun in March and did not think to look anywhere but TLH for fares. As a matter of fact, I've never even been to the JAX airport. I'd hate to fly home from the west coast and then find myself w/jet lag and still have to drive over 2 hrs home...ugh. I'll pay a few more dollars for convenience, but I understand everyone can't.

No new airport and actually the airport has been improved lately. New signs, bathrooms, eating places and jetways. It's rather nice. Too bad it's in trouble. The article said w/the pull out of Airtran, TLH has "a black ball" when it comes to discount airlines. We should try and get some discount start up airline like Independence Air to move in. SW has repeatedly said they are not interested in us.

I hope and pray things get better, but you'll still find me flying out of TLH.

Hey TJ what about hitting up Ken Austin about your webpage idea?

At my company, we all support & fly out of TLH for business. I personally do the same for pleasure. Yeah...it costs more but if we don't support our local airport then we'll never grow enough to attract other airlines. One of the painful parts of growing is having to pay a little more to support such growth. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's also nice to be home within 15 minutes after a long trip rather than having to then drive home from Jacksonville, Orlando or Atlanta. Whether it's work or personal...Isn't our time valuable also???

At my company, we all support & fly out of TLH for business. I personally do the same for pleasure. Yeah...it costs more but if we don't support our local airport then we'll never grow enough to attract other airlines. One of the painful parts of growing is having to pay a little more to support such growth. I think the positives far outweigh the negatives. It's also nice to be home within 15 minutes after a long trip rather than having to then drive home from Jacksonville, Orlando or Atlanta. Whether it's work or personal...Isn't our time valuable also???

I agree. I'd much rather save the time than have to travel in an automobile (wether I'm driving or not) over 150 miles back to Tallahassee.

Look at these pictures of the Flint Airport... I took them when I landed there after Christmas. Notice how similar it is... in terms of layout... to TLH. If only we could spruce ours up a little.

FujiShots009.jpg

This was the first thing I noticed about this airport. I loved their signage especially the welcome sign. I also like the color of the airport interior.

FujiShots012.jpg

This is the ticket center. Notice the layout is almost identical to what we have. They do have Airtran here at Flint, which to me makes things look exciting, I don't know what it is about Airtran. Also notice the pattern on the floor... its engaging.

FujiShots013.jpg

This is an esclator that leads up to the gates. The gate area at this airport (believe it or not) was actually smaller than our own. But it was very nice.

FujiShots010.jpg

The ceiling is a nice touch to keep the passengers engaged. It also gives the appearance of natural light, although it's flouresent.

FujiShots008.jpg

I'm sitting at Gate 2 looking toward gate 1. There are only two gates that this airport. But notice the big windows that will let in tons of natural light.

Wow! Nice pics...thanks for sharing them with us TJ. I really like all the windows & the lighting. It's hard to imagine that airport is actually smaller than ours from the pictures shown. You would think they would have done a little more modernization with the decor at our own airport since they recently did all that work.

Well the work recently done wasn't much that we would notice. Mainly the recent work was the addition of a foodcourt, which I have pictures of, and maybe a few new signs in addition to the monitoring screens. But other than that... not much.

FujiShots051.jpg

TSA Checkpoint with "New" signage. Notice the ceiling isn't as engaging as that one in Flint, nor is the floor. Matter of fact, that looks like the same carpet we have at City Hall. :cry:

FujiShots049.jpg

Looking toward the western airport gates. There is good natural lighting coming from behind the TPD officer, and above him the electronic travel information systems.

FujiShots053.jpg

New Irish Pub On the eastern side of the airport gates.

FujiShots052.jpg

Small Airport foodcourt. Inside there is a Tommy D's and a Smoothie, and Desert center. I believe there is also an American food restaurant inside serving burgers, fries, and pizza.

FujiShots048.jpg

Here's looking toward the eastern Airport Gates.

Our Airport hasn't changed much... and honestly, we could do a few minor things to it to make it look more modern, such as painting the outside... white. Look at how old the terminal building looks compared to the boarding bridge.

FujiShots056.jpg

Good pix and great comparison there TJ. I do like the way our food places look in the airport. But now that you've compared our interior to Flint's, we don't look so great. Some real quick fixes I see would be to get rid of the low ceilings if we could. Just pop those panels out and "raise the roof." I really like the interesting ceiling in Flint. New carpeting or tile would be another quick fix. Also I've never been fond of the interior color scheme. The muted orange or pink or whatever color that is, is UGLY. That change would be a pretty easy fix too.

When you suggest painting the exterior, what exactly do you mean? Painting the brick white?

Good pix and great comparison there TJ. I do like the way our food places look in the airport. But now that you've compared our interior to Flint's, we don't look so great. Some real quick fixes I see would be to get rid of the low ceilings if we could. Just pop those panels out and "raise the roof." I really like the interesting ceiling in Flint. New carpeting or tile would be another quick fix. Also I've never been fond of the interior color scheme. The muted orange or pink or whatever color that is, is UGLY. That change would be a pretty easy fix too.

When you suggest painting the exterior, what exactly do you mean? Painting the brick white?

Yeah painting that brick white. It would look way better, IMO.

Im more concerned about getting some flights in and out of tallahassee than the way it looks.

:whistling:

Yeah I feel ya here. But in talking about something we can do to maybe want people to visit/use the airport more, I think its important to talk about its appearance.

there are many beautiful buildings with painted brick in town. And I'd say when done right, it looks good. Take the First District Court of Appeals for Example:

DSCF1727.jpg

I'll have to look at that pic at my home computer. My work computer blocks the photobucket domain and the only pic I found online was a low res one.

I just think that all brick should be red (I really don't like the orange or brown brick), but then brick to me is like palm trees to other people on this forum. :lol:

I grew up in South Florida, so brick in a novelty to me. Perhaps if I was a North Florida native, I would be more use to it.

I'll have to look at that pic at my home computer. My work computer blocks the photobucket domain and the only pic I found online was a low res one.

I just think that all brick should be red (I really don't like the orange or brown brick), but then brick to me is like palm trees to other people on this forum. :lol:

I grew up in South Florida, so brick in a novelty to me. Perhaps if I was a North Florida native, I would be more use to it.

Oh I wonder who it is that loves Palms so!? :silly:

^ME!

You sure TJ that bldg. is painted brick? Actually I'm sure you are right, but I could have swore as I cruise past it that is was stucco or something like that. Dang now I'm gonna have to do a "ride by" and check it out myself. The bldg. looks good all white (yes even painted brick) w/those palms out front. Two of the palms could use a little fertilizer, but that's my kinda style...so good ahead and paint the airport TJ!

And laneyj34 I was the one that suggested Independence Air...wow that was fast for them to go out of biz. Nevermind -_-

^ME!

You sure TJ that bldg. is painted brick? Actually I'm sure you are right, but I could have swore as I cruise past it that is was stucco or something like that. Dang now I'm gonna have to do a "ride by" and check it out myself. The bldg. looks good all white (yes even painted brick) w/those palms out front. Two of the palms could use a little fertilizer, but that's my kinda style...so good ahead and paint the airport TJ!

And laneyj34 I was the one that suggested Independence Air...wow that was fast for them to go out of biz. Nevermind -_-

LOL. You've got me questioning myself now! I know certainly there are some commercial buildings around here with painted brick, I believe thats one, but again, you might be right Poonther in saying that its stucco. I'll do a driveby myself tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Just had a brainstorm........

I wonder what would be the pros and cons of making an express route from downtown to the airport via existing city streets converted to expressway status? I'm thinking Gaines, Jackson Bluff, Lake Bradford/Springhill and part of Capital Circle SW.

When I mean expressway, I mean it in true nomenclature; not a full limited access freeway, but rather a 4 or 6 lane divided highway with a concrete barrier, overpasses at certain intersections, and a 55 mph speed limit. There would still be minor cross streets. By not having a road in the sense of a true "freeway", it would be less impacting on the surrounding areas. After all, I'm certain this proposal would meet tremondous NIMBY response.

I think this would be actually better than having an upgraded Capital Circle as the primary route to the airport. Capital Circle doesn't serve the city center; Lake Bradford/Springhill actually do. Of course, CC would still be instrumental in getting people from the airport to the interstate, but keep in mind that not all aiport travellers are I-10 bound!

I could draw a proposal when I get home.

Archived