Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low cost carriers are no doubt needed to keep TLH competitive. What do you guys think the chances are of getting a JetBlue, Southwest, or even Song, Delta's low-cost carrier instead of Delta? Do you think AirTran would ever consider returning to TLH?

What kind of incentive packages can COT legitimately put together to lure in a low cost carrier, while at the same time assuring that carrier that Delta will not pull another price gimmick like they did with AirTran?

Or even Tallahassee/N. Florida residents, what can they do as a group of consumers do to make these carriers think that TLH is a worthwhile investment?

P.S. - TJ, I can help you out a little bit too with governemental relations/your info. package. Im probably not as veterened as Toolman, but I do have a lot of experience in it.

• 4 weeks later...

Got my copy of the Capital Air Newsletter in the mail yesterday and it contained the following updates and old news:

TALLAHASSEE EXPANDS SERVICES TO REACH HOUSTON, ATLANTA AND CINCINNATI

Continental Airlines adds new daily nonstop flight. Daily total now three flights to and from Houston

Delta has reinstated additional flights to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport . by Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

Comair has reinstated its nonstop flights to Cincinnati. 2 round trip flights daily.

It seems like we are slowly building capacity back to pre-2005 levels. The traffic still is lower in 2006 than in 2005. The gap is narrowing because of the increasing capacity. According to the newsletter, the following are the latest statistics:

April 2006 May 2006

85,358 90,825

April 2005 May 2005

98,851 97,028

It is critical for the airport to get there own website going. Currently, it is hidden within the Tallahassee City website. How can you market a Regional Airport by hiding it????????? :ph34r:

The next Airport Advisory Committee meeting is on Monday, July 17th, 11:30 am. Do you think any of us could attend and lend some nice ideas to the committee???? :D

Having just used the airport, I think that the more options we have, the better off we are. I for one am tired of being "held hostage" by Delta. Their prices are out of control and I'm not a fan of the ATL airport. I try and do anything to avoid a connection there. Now w/the threat of a Delta pilot's strike, who knows what that could to do to service in Tally.

Also Delta's customer service is getting very poor. I was on a huge flight from LAX to ATL and after we arrived at the gate this plane full of passengers that had been on 4+hour flight had to wait over 15 minutes b/c Delta forgot to send someone over to hook up the jetway (those were the pilot's words not mine.) Then on the late 11pm outbound flight to Tally, the flight was late leaving b/c a flight attendent was extremely late in showing up and offered no apologies as she just waltzed up to the gate food and drink in hand. Now if I'd done that and the flight was on time, I'd have been left behind.

Amen to Delta and the horrors of the Atlanta airport. I still fly them a lot, but try to use Northwest as much as possible. Memphis is an excellent hub, small and reasonable to get around in, and has a great local BBQ joint on the airside. The medallion program on NW is also much better than Delta with automatic upgrades for those of us who fly enough to quallify.

On the negative side, about a year ago, NW switched from having a local staff to using a contractor for counter, baggage and ground service. I believe that they share the contractor with another airline. My experiences with them have been way less than positive.

I believe that if NW get's more PAX flying out of here, we'll get more flights and hopefully, more professional ground staff.

Amen to Delta and the horrors of the Atlanta airport. I still fly them a lot, but try to use Northwest as much as possible. Memphis is an excellent hub, small and reasonable to get around in, and has a great local BBQ joint on the airside. The medallion program on NW is also much better than Delta with automatic upgrades for those of us who fly enough to quallify.

On the negative side, about a year ago, NW switched from having a local staff to using a contractor for counter, baggage and ground service. I believe that they share the contractor with another airline. My experiences with them have been way less than positive.

I believe that if NW get's more PAX flying out of here, we'll get more flights and hopefully, more professional ground staff.

If NW flew out of here into Detroit, I might be willing to use them, since when I do travel via plane it's to visit family in upstate NY, and having to do two connections isn't that much fun, hence flying Delta or US Airways.

My good friend is a pilot for Chautauqua Airlines, which serves as Delta Connection, Continental Express, USAirways Express and United Express.

He was explaining to me that there is a major shakeup in the works among the regional carriers and their alliances with the major airlines. I forgot the exact matchups, but the net effect will be a change in some of the flights and routings that cities being served by regional jets will experience.

This might mean something as simple as your next Delta Connection flight will be a different regional carrier or as complex as some routes being cancelled entirely.

In today's day an age of airlines trying to cut costs, the major carriers are quick to change regional alliances if it stands to save them money. So, if a regional carrier comes in with a lower bid on a regional contract, send the planes to the paint shop... new livery is on the way. This seems to be the case in this new arrangement brewing. One regional carrier is undercutting another with a certain cash-strapped major carrier.

I also heard this on the 6pm news. This is wonderful because it means that more fliers are choosing to fly through other hubs other than Atlanta. In order for Tallahassee to go to the next level, we must wean ourselves off Delta and support the other carriers with full flights. It seems that when Delta cut back on so much capacity, they became victim to the "Law of Unintended Consequences". So many fliers have switched to the other carriers that they are now expanding their services. Awesome!!!

We all should be jumping for joy!!! The more competition the lower the prices and better business case to lure the likes of Airtran back.

Now if only we can get a 1st class website for the Airport. :rolleyes:

On a recent business trip, I actually connected on Delta via Orlando on the outbound and Tampa on the return. I actually found it a pleasant alternative to Atlanta, Charlotte, Houston, or Memphis for that matter. Both airports were relatively peaceful... no incessant beeping carts. I enjoyed a nice Alice Springs Chicken dinner at Outback in Orlando and surfed on free wifi internet. I also enjoyed free wifi in Tampa on the return. Each flight to/from Orlando/Tampa and Hartford, CT was on planes previously used by Song, so they had the in-seat entertainment systems, leather seats, more legroom, etc.

I will try and seek this option again on future flights, especially now that Delta is creating more destinations to/from Orlando, Tampa, Ft. Lauderdale.

I definately second the need for a nice airport website. I think we're missing a big opportunity having an Avation site hidden within the Talgov website. Many citizens don't know how to navigate that site, how do you expect someone from outside the city, but within the region to do so? This ought to be a serious priority for the Airport Director, if not, I'd like a reasonable explaination why.

Just a question fellas, what is the Airports Masterplan for Tallahassee??? Here in Nashville we have a master plan for Nashville International and it is followed thru quite well for the most part. Is there a plan available on the internet???

Also, expect some new things from Southwest in the future possibly. There is a number of sources saying they may be going to smaller jets for smaller markets, like yourself and places like Panama City, etc. Nashville is a "Hub" for Southwest like Orlando, so this has been a hot topic among many of my fellow photographers at the airport here. Who really knows as airlines try to realign themselves to turn a profit. Delta isn't in the best of financial shapes at the moment, so many of your wishes may infact come true before it's all said and done. LOL!!!

I still think we should run Delta out of here and get AirTran back.

You might want to reconsider this train of thought. First of all, AirTran won't be back without subsidies. Once they get "burned", they very, very rarely will ever re-enter a market. Please don't take this the wrong way, but they have bigger fish to fry.

I understand the backlash against Delta, but it would do far more damage to TLH than good to run off Delta - which isn't possible, anyway. Why on earth would you want to eliminate a 50 minute ride to the largest connecting hub in the world? Having ATL in your backyard does way more for you than you think it does. :shades:

Being 70% to 80% dependent on an airport, no matter how big it is and on one single airline is never a good thing. I don't think Tally people want Delta to leave, we just don't want them as the only "boat out of town" and ATL to be our only connecting hub.

Being 70% to 80% dependent on an airport, no matter how big it is and on one single airline is never a good thing. I don't think Tally people want Delta to leave, we just don't want them as the only "boat out of town" and ATL to be our only connecting hub.

That's a very good point. And having to rely on ATL as your only airport isn't the best thing for ya in the long run. ATL is plagued by delays and back-ups that make the worst back-up in LA look small. Cincy was a good hub to keep with the Delta theme and Houston would be a great destination for a small Continental Connection flight. Heck, even Memphis and NWA would be a good hub to bank on. Then there's American Eagle to Miami, the list goes on and on.

The fact is, you cannot put all your eggs in one basket. And asking the commuters of Tally to be "grateful to even have service to ATL" is a bit asinine and narrowminded. They deserve a chance to fly to different parts of the US just like you and me. Problem is, at least by what I can tell, is the leadership of the airport hasn't got much of a backbone. They almost come across as being..."grateful" and just leave it at that. When they COULD have some serious investments in the place and some more flights to boot. Just between me and the rest of us on here, I wouldn't want AirTran at my airport. But that's just me.

Coctinental could use something like this for their flights to and from Tally.

62542558.TjQyr42N.acontinentalconnection.jpg

From my website.

That's a very good point. And having to rely on ATL as your only airport isn't the best thing for ya in the long run. ATL is plagued by delays and back-ups that make the worst back-up in LA look small. Cincy was a good hub to keep with the Delta theme and Houston would be a great destination for a small Continental Connection flight. Heck, even Memphis and NWA would be a good hub to bank on. Then there's American Eagle to Miami, the list goes on and on.

The fact is, you cannot put all your eggs in one basket. And asking the commuters of Tally to be "grateful to even have service to ATL" is a bit asinine and narrowminded. They deserve a chance to fly to different parts of the US just like you and me. Problem is, at least by what I can tell, is the leadership of the airport hasn't got much of a backbone. They almost come across as being..."grateful" and just leave it at that. When they COULD have some serious investments in the place and some more flights to boot. Just between me and the rest of us on here, I wouldn't want AirTran at my airport. But that's just me.

Coctinental could use something like this for their flights to and from Tally.

62542558.TjQyr42N.acontinentalconnection.jpg

From my website.

Look Lexy, I hardly appreciate your tone here. Let me be a little less diplomatic this time around. I am in the industry, and yes, at this point in time TLH should be grateful for ANY flights they have. The metro is just not on the major airlines radar at all right now, and that is probably not going to change in the near future. It's all about demand, and it's just not there.

And as far as AirTran goes, talk to just about any Aviation Director out there, and you can bet most would kill to have them. People need to stop with the delusions that JetBlue and Southwest are coming to "save" them - for the large majority of places that don't already have them, it ain't going to happen.

And as far as AirTran goes, talk to just about any Aviation Director out there, and you can bet most would kill to have them. People need to stop with the delusions that JetBlue and Southwest are coming to "save" them - for the large majority of places that don't already have them, it ain't going to happen.

I don't think anyone in Tally has delusions of JB or SW "coming to save" us. Someone in my family flies out of TLH monthly and all we are asking for is more options other than Delta and ATL.......and on a bright note we are getting a few like another flight to Houston, Charlotte and service started again to Cincy plus more flights to the big 3 in FL.

Just b/c we live in a smaller metro doesn't mean we are ignorant to the rules of how an airport works. Most of us here have lived in much bigger places and choose to enjoy the benefits of a smaller metro. Please don't talk down to us!

I don't think anyone in Tally has delusions of JB or SW "coming to save" us. Someone in my family flies out of TLH monthly and all we are asking for is more options other than Delta and ATL.......and on a bright note we are getting a few like another flight to Houston, Charlotte and service started again to Cincy plus more flights to the big 3 in FL.

Just b/c we live in a smaller metro doesn't mean we are ignorant to the rules of how an airport works. Most of us here have lived in much bigger places and choose to enjoy the benefits of a smaller metro. Please don't talk down to us!

First off, I never had a tone. Read what I wrote and you would see that.

I agree that smaller doesn't always equate less demand with airports. Good point.

Dude, whoever you are that claims to be in the industry. ATL is a horrible airport that really helps nearby airports, like Nashville, thrive and grow like they are. Ask anyone in the industry and they will tell you that Hartsfield is a disaster waiting to happen. Oh and on a side note, one of my very good friends (two of them actually) are air traffic controllers there at Atlanta and they would totally agree with me on that.

AirTran = ValueJet.

I'll take Southwest's exceptional record over anything AirTran could even muster up to offer. Same goes for JetBlue. If you want lowcost carriers, these two companies along with Frontier, are the ones to get in today's market driven air service.

The fact that some of the citizens of Tally want SWA and JetBlue should come as no surprise. I think its great and I hope they get one or the other....or even both in the future!

Hey Guys, where did this battle between Atlanta and Nashville come from???? LOL :rofl:

Let's me correct some misconceptions about Tallahassee. We currently have Jet service to Charlotte, Atlanta, Memphis, Houston, Cincinnati, and all of Florida's major cities. Our metro is large enough to support additional non-stop service to the mid-Atlantic, the northeast and the Midwest.

Our airport is currently too dependent on one carrier ... Delta ...which accounts for 80% of the flights out of Tallahassee. We have so many flights between Atlanta and Tallahassee that Delta uses a combination of Boeing 757, 737, and MD80 Jets along with ASA regional jets depending on what time a day you choose to fly. As you can see, there is little competition here therefore we are at Delta's mercy and have extremely high fares. Atlanta DOES give us many choices for going anywhere in the world. However, having Charlotte, Memphis and Houston gives us a chance to show other airlines this is not a Delta ONLY market. Competition lowers fares!!!

Finally Lexy, we do have airport master plan. You can view it on the talgov.com website. You can also view our "hidden" airport website there too. Thanks guys for all your concerns about Tallahassee. We love Atlanta and Nashville. Hopefully, we may have service to Nashville someday. :D

Archived