Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

I hate those things. I'd rather take the bullet train (which we all voted to develop) to JAX or MCO and catch a real plane from there. Speaking of real planes; I was on a DL flight last week where a piece of the ceiling in the mid-aisle was being held up with some sort of duct tape. Note to Delta: duct tape as a repair method is not a good marketing tool.

Funny you say that b/c I prefer CRJ's for short hauls. They load up faster, take off smoother and unload faster. Of course I'd not want to fly one to Europe.

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny you say that b/c I prefer CRJ's for short hauls. They load up faster, take off smoother and unload faster. Of course I'd not want to fly one to Europe.

Poonther, I with you on this. The CRJ's have a quick turnaround time and depending on the pilot, take offs and landings are a breeze. I have learned to put up with the smaller seats in exchange for the short routes. The longest CRJ flight I have been on was to Houston, which was a little over two hours. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

I found this article from Airport Business Magazine. The regional airport in Hammond, La. is seeking international designation. According to the criteria, we could easily qualify at Tallahassee Regional.

Good Read..... Let me know what you think :thumbsup:

caution (the title is misleading, it says Hammond, Fl. and not Hammond, La)

http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/art...p;siteSection=4

I found this article from Airport Business Magazine. The regional airport in Hammond, La. is seeking international designation. According to the criteria, we could easily qualify at Tallahassee Regional.

Good Read..... Let me know what you think :thumbsup:

caution (the title is misleading, it says Hammond, Fl. and not Hammond, La)

http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/art...p;siteSection=4

It would be a sweet post for a couple of CBP employees. Your boss would be in JAX and you'd spend a lot of time waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

New "Compass Point" development at Tallahassee Regional? This may be something of interest in the near future.

http://www.wctv6.com/news/headlines/3809716.html

Here is an excerpt (of Item #11) from the August 30, 2006 City Commission Mtg:

Item 11 - Received a presentation updating the Commission on the proposed Compass Pointe Development Plan, which was a Flightline Development Corporation proposal to redevelop the Old Terminal Complex at the Airport, at an estimated cost of $14 million, to be themed around a campus consisting of the following - to be brought back to the Commission for approval upon completion of negotiations, regulatory and legal reviews, and associated lease adjustments (an item brought forward by Aviation):

* Very Light Jet (VLJ) Center of Excellence

* Aircraft Sales Facility

* Aircraft Maintenance Facility

* Hotel Complex

* Corporate Condo/Specialized Aviation Service Facility

The Commission commended Flightline Development Corporation for its initiative.

Mr. Danny Langston, representing Flightline Development Corporation, appeared before the Commission relative to this item.

Seems like a step in the right direction.

It sure is and I think most of us will be pleased with this development. It basically consists of the five major components (listed in the agenda) positioned along the Capital Circle SW corridor. The parking areas will be just as aesthetically pleasing as the parking lot at the Regional Airport because it will also parking spaces interwoven with trees. The Compass Pointe Hotel will be a nationallly known hotel with approx. 100 to 120 rooms in a four/five story structure. The parking lot referenced above will be positioned between Capital Circle SW and the Hotel. The hotel should be a smash hit because there have been so many requests from customers who want to stay on the airport's campus due to early morning flights and etc. The hotel may also provide haven from those (instate/out of state) residents who maybe fleeing to the Tallahassee region due to hurricanes or other natural events. The hotel will have a front door to address road traffic and a backdoor which would allow aircrafts to pull up to the hotel and unload passengers.

The commercial hanger development will include a regional maintenance facility to market the area between Tennessee and the Caribbean. Flightline is currently undergoing negotiations with the Honda motor corporation and the Symphony (based in Canada).

The VLJ Center of Excellence will house facilities to conduct pilot, maintenance, and customer service training.

I am absolutely excited about this project because it will replace the current deteriorated buildings and parking lot facing Capital Circle SW (north of Tallahassee Regional Airport) with a nice campus-like development that will create jobs and a spark to our airport.

The Flightline Development Corporation is ready to move forward with this project immediately.

A small hotel is a good idea... Not that I expect people would want to stay there if they had business in town. However, it would be a great location for flight crews to do their overnights, business travellers who are scheduled on the 6AM crack of dawn flight, or stranded passengers that need to wait until the next day to catch the next available flight.

A small hotel is a good idea... Not that I expect people would want to stay there if they had business in town. However, it would be a great location for flight crews to do their overnights, business travellers who are scheduled on the 6AM crack of dawn flight, or stranded passengers that need to wait until the next day to catch the next available flight.

Actually, my guess is that most of the hotel's clientele will probably be those customers and/or support staff for the aircraft maintenance industry which Flightline wants to expand here at the airport.

The Compass Pointe Hotel will be a nationallly known hotel with approx. 100 to 120 rooms in a four/five story structure. The parking lot referenced above will be positioned between Capital Circle SW and the Hotel. The hotel should be a smash hit because there have been so many requests from customers who want to stay on the airport's campus due to early morning flights and etc.

Do you know what hotel it would be? A Crowne Plaza, Hyatt, or something of that sort would be nice in Tallahassee.

Did anyone else see one of the Zings! in Fridays edition of the Democrat. "While Tallahassee is celebrating getting DayJet service, Panama City is constructing an international airport."

Do you know what hotel it would be? A Crowne Plaza, Hyatt, or something of that sort would be nice in Tallahassee.

I haven't heard which hotel is interested in being a part of this development, but I'm sure the name will be disclosed very soon once the plans have received final approval.

They've been building that International Airport for years now. Ours will likely still handle more traffic than theirs.

While there is still quite a bit of work to be done & years worth of effort ahead on this new airport, it most certainly can't be ignored by any of us in Tallahassee. It cleared another major hurdle on May 11th when the FAA gave final approval on the 8,400 foot runway design option. It sits in the middle of 4,000+ acres donated by St. Joe and surrounded by land also owned by St. Joe. Their focus will not be just on passenger traffic alone. It will be marketed to the major international air freight carriers, especially from Central & South America, as a less congested option to Miami, Orlando, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. with quicker US Customs clearance, etc. Many spin-off businesses will result from this influx of international freight business. They are planning for the very long range future just as we should be. It might be sitting in the middle of nowhere at the moment & not seem like much of a threat to us but we best not ignore them. The PC Airport Authority along with St. Joe Company are very serious about making this new airport happen!

Archived