Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It does sound great. I've yet to read that article but I'll get to it later. Seems some decent things are going on AROUND the airport. The Airport itself hasn't really been breaking news as of lately. I'd love an annoucment that Airtran wants to come back or we're finally getting Southwest!

Two things:

One, I know Danny Langston, and actually the whole family quite well as I am a good friend of his daughter, Mary-Margret, and will call him soon and ask him for details on this, and for any updates.

Second, I believe I remember from my flight training (I am a pilot on the side), that the only requirement for an airport to become an international airpot is to have a customs desk (which the FAA has to approve of). I realize that PC is building a totally new airport, and from what I hear it is supposed to be quite nice, but the "international airport" I believe is nothing more than what I just stated.

Two things:

One, I know Danny Langston, and actually the whole family quite well as I am a good friend of his daughter, Mary-Margret, and will call him soon and ask him for details on this, and for any updates.

Second, I believe I remember from my flight training (I am a pilot on the side), that the only requirement for an airport to become an international airport is to have a customs desk (which the FAA has to approve of). I realize that PC is building a totally new airport, and from what I hear it is supposed to be quite nice, but the "international airport" I believe is nothing more than what I just stated.

Point One: "Mary-Margret" Can you get more Southern than that? :D

Point Two: I also believe a few years back (maybe it still happens) but the current PC airport had a CHARTERED flight from Canadian to PC to bring snowbirds down. It made one flight down and one flight back, thus it became International. But you are right about the customs desk thing for the new airport. I believe it was SD that linked us to an article about it here and suggested that Tally try the same thing. Aren't our runways out at TLH pretty long and capable of handling big planes?

DayJet is a small Charter Jet service that gives Tallahassee direct connection to some of Florida's smaller markets, such as Boca Raton, Gainesville, Lakeland, and Pensacola . Its a per-seat on demand jet service, mainly designed to help Florida Business travlers.

What I could not figure out from looking at their website is if you are limited to those cities as just departure points, or also destinations. If you could leave Tally and go anywhere, that would make a HUGE difference.

Their website shows all the potential future "dayports." Pretty much every airport in the southeast is on the list.

I find the "per seat" concept interesting... where you only pay for your one seat, and not the whole aircraft. Now, what if you are the only one making the trip... how can this be profitable to them?

Curious what the State's policy will be on using them over commercial carriers.

In response to Poonther's above post, yes we are capable of handling the largest planes out there. Some time ago, maybe a decade or more, a C-5 Galaxy (the largest miltary plane in the USAF inventory) landed here to demonstrate just that.

Just because a plane can land here doesn't mean the airport is equipped to handle it... Right sized jetways... Baggage unloading machines (container-type)... Passenger loading/unloading capacity... security screening capacity... ticket counter capacity... etc etc

I took a semester on airport design at Embry-Riddle... I knew it would come in handy some day. :)

I took a semester on airport design at Embry-Riddle... I knew it would come in handy some day. :)

P.S. we can't take credit for it... but we predicted the replacement of ticket counters with self-serve kiosks 10 years ago.

Other time-saving concepts we came up with like off-aiport baggage checkin at hotels and such as taking shape in areas like Orlando.

Makes you wonder if we were just on the same wavelength or if someone stole our ideas.

When you put it that way... I become a bit nervous.

we should be. our airport is JV and does not present a good initial impression to those travelling on business or looking to relocate a business to our region. unfortunately i travel a lot and our airport is in the absolute worst location. speed bumps one way and a two lane road the other... its time to relocate the airport north to near I-10... either that or build a dedicated highway to and from the airport from I-10... the current set up is insane and once PC Int'l opens up business will slacken more... *sigh*

Monti, you definitely will not get an arguement from me about our vehicle connection to the airport. It needs to be fixed pronto. I'd love an expressway there, but I know that's not going to happen anytime soon, so I'll settle for Cap. Circle being multi-laned from both directions to/from the airport. Again maybe another reason to give ole Debbie the boot. I believe she has been a major obsticle in getting this segment multi-laned.

I travel a lot too and I think the major problem w/our airport is this connection. While the interior colors of our airport aren't my favorite, the airport structure and runways are fine IMHO. No need to move the airport especially now w/what Flightline is proposing, we just need to make getting there easier. Asheville, NC comes to mind when I think about other airports w/bad connections like ours. It's a two laned road there to get to I-26. Also Port Columbus in Cols. Ohio use to have an awful connection from their downtown to the airport and it's a city several several times bigger than us. They just fixed that connection.

I am concerned about PC's new airport, but not scared. Now's the time for us to beef up our airport and hopefully this Flightline stuff will just be a start. I'm not sure why we don't try the same cargo stuff that PC is going to do. We've got the runways and space out there to do it. That cargo type stuff concerns me way more about the PC airport than the passenger stuff. I've stated many reasons why (in other post earlier in this thread) in the foresable future why I don't think PC will be a huge threat to us w/passenger loads.

Get Capital Circle multi-laned now folks!

This is just a thought, but perhaps a competitive sized airport within 100 miles of us would not be such a bad thing. It might provide necessary competition and bring the current powers that manage all things related to our airport out of their fugue. Maybe someone more qualified could say if there is any validity to that theory?

Do you know what hotel it would be? A Crowne Plaza, Hyatt, or something of that sort would be nice in Tallahassee.

Probably not that upscale, something closer to Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield, or Courtyard by Marriott is more realistic, given the size of the airport and hotel that we're talking about.

Probably not that upscale, something closer to Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield, or Courtyard by Marriott is more realistic, given the size of the airport and hotel that we're talking about.

Hey psycuda, you know anything going on at the St. Joe airport commerce park on Cap Circle? I would have thought at least something would have moved in there by now. I thought they were going to go after the distributors and such in town like say UPS etc. I think that's what I read before. Anyway the places looks complete and I'm just surprise JOE of all people hasn't gotten someone to move into it yet.

Yea, I know something along those lines are more appropriate for the area. The ones I named are hotels I personally prefer to stay at when travelling. Maybe soon though...

I was watching the Flightline's presentation before the city commission on TV and the Compass Pointe Hotel rendering looks almost exactly like the Hampton Inn and Suites off I-10 near the new village inn restaurant. Therefore, I would not be surprised if it truly is another Hampton Inn and Suites.

Hey psycuda, you know anything going on at the St. Joe airport commerce park on Cap Circle? I would have thought at least something would have moved in there by now. I thought they were going to go after the distributors and such in town like say UPS etc. I think that's what I read before. Anyway the places looks complete and I'm just surprise JOE of all people hasn't gotten someone to move into it yet.

Wouldn't know, since it's in the City

Yea, I know something along those lines are more appropriate for the area. The ones I named are hotels I personally prefer to stay at when travelling. Maybe soon though...

Maybe the downtown/Civic center hotel(s) or another one near FSU along Gaines St will be a upscale one of the ilk that you typically will stay in.

Beware Atlanta travellers!

With the opening of the new 5th runway in May, ATL has closed one of the previous four for resurfacing. The airport, FAA, airlines, et al have had a real hard time coping and there has been a lot of delays due to GROUND traffic!

In fact, my flight from TLH to ATL on Friday only took 45 min in the air, but took 50 minutes to reach the gate after landing!!

The return last night wasn't AS bad, but it was 10PM...

Jet Blue Looking for new airports to Serve!!!!

Alright guys!!! Its time to put your time in and make it happen. Check out the link and get as many people as possible to fill it out. Tell everyone you know and lets get a grass roots effort going to get JetBlue to fly into Tallahassee. link:http://www.jetblue.com/email/citysuggest.asp?intcmp=where_we_fly1

You can vote for Tallahassee and recommend where to fly to . I recommended New York and Washington. This could be the answer to all our hopes and prayers for the airport. :yahoo:

Jet Blue Looking for new airports to Serve!!!!

Alright guys!!! Its time to put your time in and make it happen. Check out the link and get as many people as possible to fill it out. Tell everyone you know and lets get a grass roots effort going to get JetBlue to fly into Tallahassee. link:http://www.jetblue.com/email/citysuggest.asp?intcmp=where_we_fly . You can vote for Tallahassee and recommend where to fly to . I recommended New York and Washington. This could be the answer to all our prayers. :yahoo:

Quite a blessing indeed. I'm on it SkyBlue!

Archived