Tallahassee Regional Airport

Florida

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^I think that you think I mean Disney or Universal, but that is not the case. Wild Adventures had humble beginnings indeed, and as I said it is among the fastest growing parks in the U.S. It draws people from about 150 miles around, meaning the average visitor would be making a day trip if hotels were your concern. Even if hotel occupancy was the issue, Tallahassee (a city of 150,000 plus) is far better prepared than Valdosta (a city of 40,000) in terms of lodging. Also, seeing as a park the size of Wild Adventures is not drawing from around the world, it would not have a significant impact upon air travel and our capacity thereof as opposed to Orlando. I would just like to see an end to the nihilistic attitude that prevails in our city. I apologize for the rant but I just believe in being well informed. :D

^I think that you think I mean Disney or Universal, but that is not the case. Wild Adventures had humble beginnings indeed, and as I said it is among the fastest growing parks in the U.S. It draws people from about 150 miles around, meaning the average visitor would be making a day trip if hotels were your concern. Even if hotel occupancy was the issue, Tallahassee (a city of 150,000 plus) is far better prepared than Valdosta (a city of 40,000) in terms of lodging. Also, seeing as a park the size of Wild Adventures is not drawing from around the world, it would not have a significant impact upon air travel and our capacity thereof as opposed to Orlando. I would just like to see an end to the nihilistic attitude that prevails in our city. I apologize for the rant but I just believe in being well informed. :D

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I TOTALLY AGREE!!! You da man!!

I'm not sure about a theme park but a zoo certainly could make it here. If you want to see what a nice zoo looks like for a city our size check out Montgomery.

A lot of folks look to Wild Adventures and figure that TLH could do the same thing. I disagree. Our demographic, both local and regional, is very different. We don't have that bubble of nearby small town Gomer's that keep WA rolling. When the Challenger Center first organized itself, they were counting on the WA demographic to fill the seats in the theater but if you've been there lately, you know that the majority of the seats are empty. We're a sleepy little southern state capital. Get over it.

Gomer (for the culturally impaired): jim-nabors-c.jpg

We're a sleepy little southern state capital. Get over it.

I bet you would like that wouldn't you?

Truth is, until now, the Challeneger Learning Center hasn't really be in the position to market itself because of all of the construction going on at Kleman Plaza. NOW this doesn't mean that they've been unsuccessful at their mission of educating young school age children, which they do everyday. The IMAX and Challenger host a school field trip just about everyday and the kids love it. Its what I would call a growing Tallahassee tradition, similar to the trips to Wakulla Springs that we used to take when we were in school. We're not a sleep little southern capital, we're waking up.

I bet you would like that wouldn't you?

Truth is, until now, the Challeneger Learning Center hasn't really be in the position to market itself because of all of the construction going on at Kleman Plaza. NOW this doesn't mean that they've been unsuccessful at their mission of educating young school age children, which they do everyday. The IMAX and Challenger host a school field trip just about everyday and the kids love it. Its what I would call a growing Tallahassee tradition, similar to the trips to Wakulla Springs that we used to take when we were in school. We're not a sleep little southern capital, we're waking up.

Yup. I admit it. I like things pretty much as-is. I get my big city energy from frequent trips to big cities for work and play, but like coming home to the oak trees. Our quality of life is so much higher than say Orlando or Jacksonville. We're lucky and ought to be doing all we can to protect this beautiful and special place.

Yup. I admit it. I like things pretty much as-is. I get my big city energy from frequent trips to big cities for work and play, but like coming home to the oak trees. Our quality of life is so much higher than say Orlando or Jacksonville. We're lucky and ought to be doing all we can to protect this beautiful and special place.

I wouldnt necessarily agree with that. Quality of life is relative. People from Orlando cant fathom how you all could live so isolated from the rest of the world up here in Tally.

First....why is this topic in the airport thread?????

Second, I travel a lot too and like Tally being a mid-sized city, the friendliness of the our citizens, the trees, hills, moss etc. to come home to............BUT being a mid-sized place doesn't mean we can't provide entertaining and quality things to do and grow and provide high paying jobs like in other cities our size like Madison, WI, Burlington, VT and on and on. Wanting to keep the status quo just as you found it is selfish and sad to me.

As for the O-town folks, I hear that some in South FL too. Ignorance can run rampant in large metros too. :D I lived a lifetime one year in Orlando and that was enough for me. If I were to move to a much larger metro, that city would be about last on the list....of course that's just me and YMMV.

Oh yeah and isn't the company that owns Wild Adventures and Cypress Gardens bankrupt now? I don't think they'll close the parks, but I do believe I've read where they filed for bankruptcy.

This is very very subjective.

You betcha Captain. An opinion is one of two things that everybody has. I'm with you Poonther on Madison being a good city to emulate. They have an excellent fire chief (who used to work for TFD). I've only been to Burlington on a "driving through" visit and can't give an opinion. So back to flying. My favorite thing about our airport is the sweet little observation room/museum.

I too like that observation room. I can't shake how similar Tallahassee Regional is to the Airport in Flint, MI. Their airport is much newer than ours and that shows, but the size is amazingly similar... one exception, our gate area is larger. I wish our airport could be remodeled to resemble something newer. We need to prepare ourselves to compete with Panama City's New airport.

Here are some pictures of the Flint Airport just incase I never posted them:

FujiShots012.jpg

FujiShots011.jpg

FujiShots010.jpg

Again... I feel these are easy changes we could make at our airport.

I too like that observation room. I can't shake how similar Tallahassee Regional is to the Airport in Flint, MI. Their airport is much newer than ours and that shows, but the size is amazingly similar... one exception, our gate area is larger. I wish our airport could be remodeled to resemble something newer. We need to prepare ourselves to compete with Panama City's New airport.

(pic deleted)

Again... I feel these are easy changes we could make at our airport.

I'm not sure that the PC airport will have much of an effect on us. It's all about the bottom line for most folk. Back when Delta was pimping Valdosta, a lot of TLH folk drove up there to take advantage of the free parking and lower fares. I still know a few folk who drive to Jax to save $100, but in general our fares are about the same. Our airport works pretty well for me. I'd love a Crown Room or World Club, but not much chance of that. Sure we could use a spiff up. I'm certainly not driving to PC to catch a plane or for anything unless someone pays me big bucks. 123? 20? eeew!

I'm Ghost, fly me.

They are currently working on new baggage carousels at the airport. Only one is open right now. The new eateries where a welcome addition IMHO.

But when will I learn NOT to fly Delta and be held hostage........AGAIN. My 1pm flight to ATL was an hour late two weeks ago thanks to fog at ATL that lifted at 9am...but the back ups ran all day. Then when it arrived at TLH, they loaded the plane and could not get clearance in ATL to land so we sat for an hour MORE in the plane at TLH. So we take off at 3pm where I still could have made my HNL flight, but when we land at ATL, there's no room for us to dock, so we sit for another 30 minutes on the runway at ATL. I was literally in the last row of the plane, but made my way to be the first person off the plane and ran to our gate where there was NO delta person waiting to help, so I ran from terminal C to to terminal T only to see our (we were a party of 4) HNL flight, the last of the day, pulling away. I tried to get them to at least get us to the west coast or even SLC (another of their hubs) that afternoon but they could not. They did comp us to stay at the luxurious Red Roof Inn that night and we were on the 10:30am flight to HNL the next day, but guess what, that flight did not leave until 2 hours later. Delta owes me a day in Hawaii. :) Next time I'll try going through Houston, Memphis or even CLT.

Oh yeah both on my flight up to ATL and on the one back to TLH, they were overbooked and asked for as many as 7 volunteers to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers. Seems to me that people are flying to Tally????

They are currently working on new baggage carousels at the airport. Only one is open right now. The new eateries where a welcome addition IMHO.

But when will I learn NOT to fly Delta and be held hostage........AGAIN. My 1pm flight to ATL was an hour late two weeks ago thanks to fog at ATL that lifted at 9am...but the back ups ran all day. Then when it arrived at TLH, they loaded the plane and could not get clearance in ATL to land so we sat for an hour MORE in the plane at TLH. So we take off at 3pm where I still could have made my HNL flight, but when we land at ATL, there's no room for us to dock, so we sit for another 30 minutes on the runway at ATL. I was literally in the last row of the plane, but made my way to be the first person off the plane and ran to our gate where there was NO delta person waiting to help, so I ran from terminal C to to terminal T only to see our (we were a party of 4) HNL flight, the last of the day, pulling away. I tried to get them to at least get us to the west coast or even SLC (another of their hubs) that afternoon but they could not. They did comp us to stay at the luxurious Red Roof Inn that night and we were on the 10:30am flight to HNL the next day, but guess what, that flight did not leave until 2 hours later. Delta owes me a day in Hawaii. :) Next time I'll try going through Houston, Memphis or even CLT.

Oh yeah both on my flight up to ATL and on the one back to TLH, they were overbooked and asked for as many as 7 volunteers to give up their seats in exchange for vouchers. Seems to me that people are flying to Tally????

Memphis ... Good BBQ in the airport. The only problem is the low rent NW (shared with CO) contract crew at TLH.

I didn't know there were any luxury Red Roof Inns. Was this in Atlanta?

I didn't know there were any luxury Red Roof Inns. Was this in Atlanta?

Dear sweet TJ, please open wide while I spoon feed you a big heaping pile of SARCASM! :D

Words that never go together w/a straight face: Luxurious = Red Roof Inns.

Damn it, there needs to be a sarcasm icon.

LOL! I knew it, I just wanted to get you to post us one more message!!

But on a more serious note, what does everyone think of the exterior of the Airport Terminal? Is it just me, or does it lack in style?

I definitely fell you TJ on the Interior AND Exterior, I feel like I am taken back to the early 80's. It deffinatly needs a Face lift. I would like to see them ditch a lot of the old brick work in exchange for a Modern Industrial Look. For example: Exposed "I" beams and cable work with some nice Mirrored Glass and some Vertical Polished Steel Curtain Walls, Similar to the New Fort Lauderdale Airport expansion "That I am proud to say I helped work on by the way". As for the inside I would love to see the Ugly Carpet gone completely and replaced with a dark "Seminole" Red stained cement floor.

The Tallahassee Democrat stated that there is a Customer Survey going around now asking for customer input on how the TRA could use some improvements, they stated that most don't bother to fill them out. So if you see one or two grab them every one and state how you feel about this place. I love the Airport but would like to see it updated. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
US Airways possible takeover of Delta. I knew this would be bad news for us in Tally the moment I heard it. I completely agree w/this article. It will reduce our flights and possibly raise our fares. While I'm no fan of Delta's, this is not the solution for us or tons of other similar sized airports. I hope it doesn't happen, but the more I read about it, the better the chances seem for it to happen.

Archived